[MH-list] Re: reply from burnham on sea council

nhrluk

s.whitehead@colleton.org writes:

The best car park for day visits in a high vehicle in Exeter is the
Haven Road Car Park. Please use it as it is the most underused car
park in Exeter and there is a significant risk it will be built on if
it is seen as redundant. It is by the Canal Basin (1830) which is the
terminus of the oldest pound-lock canal in Britain (1566) and is within
easy walking distance of the city centre.
Thanks for that info. Simon. I do like canals too; is that one navigable?

Nigel L

Simon Whitehead

On 22 Mar 2004, at 16:13, Robin Eccles wrote:

This is an important point - I was not aware that it was an offence
to sleep overnight in one's vehicle on the highway (including
carparks) unless there were specific signs forbidding it. Perhaps any
legal beagle on the list can clarify this.
In this case I think there would be no grounds for an offence, but
please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think it is an offence to sleep in one's (legal) vehicle overnight on the highway - unless there is a specific bye-law forbidding it.
Exeter seems to attract the traveling community and we have lots of vans over-nighting in the streets. Some even have tax! I never see anyone bothering with them.

An interesting point comes to mind about car parks. In Exeter we have numerous car parks which don't have height barriers but do have the 'No Overnight Camping' (or its equivalent) sign posted. Whereas the penalty for not displaying a correct ticket is clearly stated on the pay-and-display board, there is no penalty shown for overnight camping, so what would it be I wonder? In all cases the signs are extra to the main parking info sign. It is definitely the case that they are an after-thought so I suspect there is no fixed penalty and providing you have bought a ticket there is little they can do other than tell you off - after the event. I don't think the authorities are allowed to apply fixed penalties without advertising them.

The best car park for day visits in a high vehicle in Exeter is the Haven Road Car Park. Please use it as it is the most underused car park in Exeter and there is a significant risk it will be built on if it is seen as redundant. It is by the Canal Basin (1830) which is the terminus of the oldest pound-lock canal in Britain (1566) and is within easy walking distance of the city centre.

Simon Whitehead
s.whitehead@iee.org

Hilary

--- In motorhome-list@yahoogroups.com, Simon Whitehead
<s.whitehead@c...> wrote:

On 22 Mar 2004, at 16:13, Robin Eccles wrote:

This is an important point - I was not aware that it was an
offence
to sleep overnight in one's vehicle on the highway (including
carparks) unless there were specific signs forbidding it.
I don't think it is an offence to sleep in one's (legal) vehicle
overnight on the highway - unless there is a specific bye-law
forbidding it.
Exeter seems to attract the traveling community and we have lots of
vans over-nighting in the streets. Some even have tax! I never
see
anyone bothering with them.

So it really makes these signs on the motorways rather redundant,
doesn't it? I mean....'Tiredness can kill: take a break' rather
pales into insignificance alongside the 'Thou shalt not park
overnight and sleep in your vehicle' attitude of town councils. Why
do they think we carry our beds with us? In those areas where we
~are~ actually allowed to park overnight - but not sleep in the
vehicle, is it therefore all right to sit up in the driver's seat on
first watch while the other travelling companion dozes off?

Hilary

Simon Whitehead

On 22 Mar 2004, at 17:49, In22gram@aol.com wrote:

Thanks for that info. Simon. I do like canals too; is that one navigable?
Yes it is navigable. The Exeter Ship Canal is a staggering 5.5 miles long and runs from the Exe estuary to the Basin near the city centre. It has two main locks - Turf & Double Locks. Turf is at the seaward end. The entry to the canal is tidal and has to be achieved a few hours either side of high tide. The whole thing has to be booked with Jack Nott, the Harbour Master (who can be difficult!) and is a 'right pain'. The real issue is the longest viaduct in england (apparently!) which goes over the canal with an air clearance of only 10 metres. Whilst there are provisions for striking and stepping the mast to enable transit, who would dream of doing such a thing mid season when you can't even stay overnight at the basin because the council forbid it - at the moment.
This whole thing with our canal is really annoying and I am easily 'got going' on the subject. Soon, however, the attitude may change as public pressure is being brought to force a different approach by the council.

Sorry, this is a bit of a rant!
It isn't just motorhomes that councils discriminate against. I can (and do) go on for hours...

Anyone really interested should email me directly!

Simon Whitehead
s.whitehead@iee.org