Topics

[MH-list] Ferry Crossings

Andy T <andy@...>

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:41:07 -0000, you wrote:

I have just booked through the Motorhome Ticket Club and was very
pleased with their helpfulness and, of course, price. Out July
Saturday, back August Saturday three weeks later, up to 6.5m,
£162.00. This is only £1 more than the same crossing last year
through the Motorcaravanners Club, who seem to be charging about
£186 this year.
I think the Channel Ferry Pirates initiative has been very helpful in
at least keeping prices static. Next...to get them reduced!
Chris Martinson

Mmm I am told the early booking price for the channel Tunnel goes up
on the 8th of Jan and we cant comit yet as we do NOT know the
confirmed date we need to be there.

How do these prices compare with the tunnel.

I dont use ferries as I suffer badly with sea sickness but the last 4
trips in seacat have been fine however we did wish to try the tunnel
but, Unless I can provisionaly book at that price I am stumped! any
advice appreciated!

Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk>;

David Jobson <davidjobson@...>

Just booked Dover Calais with two return bookings for 6.5m motorhome for 116 UKP each and if we
add a 4.1 metre trailer it is 96 UKP extra. You need to book with the Motorhome Ticket Club before
14th January Tel: 01803 855555. Sounds really good, is there a better crossing than this? This is
much cheaper than last year when we paid 160 UKP. Is the Cartel breaking?

P&O concessionary shareholders.

Just crossed my 7.5m van for 87.00 (3 adults)

David Jobson

Pee Dee <pee.dee@...>

From: "David Jobson"
[...]

Chrislyn2602@...

yahoogroups@burtonshaws.me.uk writes:

Eurotunnel charge £40 to change your booking.
Try SeaFrance. If you book before 14th you get a good price (I found £118
for my van) and they allow you to change the date with no extra cost as long
as you stay in the same price band.
we booked Monday this week, and we managed to get a Seafrance for end of
June, three weeks returning mid July at 147 pounds (with another £10 off for going
with them just before Christmas) - vehicle 6.5 metre, so quite pleased
Lynne

Andy T <andy@...>

Ralph <yahoogroups@...>

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Pee Dee <pee.dee@...>

Mmm I am told the early booking price for the channel Tunnel goes up
on the 8th of Jan and we cant comit yet as we do NOT know the
confirmed date we need to be there.

How do these prices compare with the tunnel.

I dont use ferries as I suffer badly with sea sickness but the last 4
trips in seacat have been fine however we did wish to try the tunnel
but, Unless I can provisionaly book at that price I am stumped! any
advice appreciated!

Regards Andy T

I looked a tunnel prices a few days ago and I think you had to pay in full
for the ticket which was not refundable but you could change the day you
travelled? Hope I have not got mixed up with something else? Did you check
the terms and conditions?

Pete D
www.wheelgotravelling.info

Ralph <yahoogroups@...>

Oops sorry, I missed the bit about sea sickness.

Ralph

Gazz <gary@...>

Oops sorry, I missed the bit about sea sickness.

Ralph

Mmm I am told the early booking price for the channel Tunnel goes up
on the 8th of Jan and we cant comit yet as we do NOT know the
confirmed date we need to be there.

How do these prices compare with the tunnel.

I dont use ferries as I suffer badly with sea sickness but the last 4
trips in seacat have been fine however we did wish to try the tunnel
but, Unless I can provisionaly book at that price I am stumped! any
advice appreciated!
i last looked at taking hte van on the euro drain about 3 years ago, got a
quote of around 500 quid, to go for 8 days, going out as early in the
morning on the 11th of september (i know how to pick my travel dates dont i)

i wanted early morning travel to keep out of the peak times, but it didnt
make much differance,

i went by p&o's dover to zeebrugge route (now closed) for 180, so never
bothered even looking at taking the van on the euro drain again, especialy
now i can take the new van (if i ever get it back) abroad for upto 3 months,
for around 145, (new van is 1 meter longer than the last one)
i prefer going out at the so called unsociable hours, (04:30) but prefered
more it on the dover to zeebrugge route as it took 4 hours, enough time for
some more sleep before ariving in europe at around half 9 local time, just
right for the first day's traveling.

Travel back on that route wasnt governed by times, so i came back at 11:30
in the morning each time, but avoiding a weekend sailing saved an extra
tenner.

Seasickness has never affected me, but it does the rest of my family, they
all use those bands you wear on your wrists that presses on the carperal
tunnel area, they work for them, but i understand they dont work for
everyone,

the chunnel is a bit boring, nowt to look at out the window :)
been on it on the passenger train to paris, but prefer to fly, a lot faster,
and easier it seemed.

ernb <ernb@...>

I've just received my P&O shares and a pile of bumpf explaing the
Concessionary Stockholder Fare Scheme. Several pages of small print.

One factor I like immensely is the way the prices for every sailing are
clearly set out. I now know, as far as P&O are concerned, and I guess they
reflect the competition as well, when to sail in order to get the lowest
price. My earlier dealings with ferry operators left me with the impression
that such information was not available. Attempting to outguess the booking
computer seemed to be several factors beyond picking winning lottery
numbers.

But there they From April to the end of 2004, the cheapest sailings, Dover
/Calais/Dover, are from midnight until 03:00. Up to 92 cheaper for my van
(Before the full discount.). But even 46 is worth losing a few hours sleep
for. The times to avoid are daytime sailings for 28 and 29 May and Fridays
and Saturdays between 16 July and 31 August.

Some have told us that they have fares lower than I will get even at the 50%
discount. Not much lower mind you, but they have had to book in January. I
just could not contemplate booking now for a trip in July, and I am a free
agent. Yesterday, I had not the slightest idea what I will be doing today.
My grandchildren have determined what I will be doing from 11:30 until about
15:00. After that, who knows?

Being free is saying, "Hows about popping over to Holland this weekend?"

HTH

Ernie Bull
Bristol

David Jobson <davidjobson@...>

From: "David Jobson"
[...]

On Dover Calais (perhaps others too) for concessionary fares
they treat a motorhome _as a car_

Its in the small print.

My recent corssing (xmas) were D and E rate

dj1

Ksmith5272@...

Whilst on the subject - this is a very useful site to find ferry crossings.
Although it may not be the cheapest option it does cover just about every ferry
company and crossing.
A Ferry .com.fr réservation de travérsées ferry
http://www.aferry.com.fr/

Kassie

Nigel Owen <nigelowen@...>

[...]

Ernie:

Don't assume that using your P&O stockholders discount is always the
cheapest way to book your crossings. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

For example, we're about to book our 6.8m motorhome, 2.98m high on a return
crossing from Portsmouth to Le Havre in April. Night crossing out (includes
cabin) day crossing back. 4 adult passengers.

P&O ordinary web site: 603.00
P&O stockholders website: 459.38
Motorhome Ticket Club members website: 461.58
Caravan Club members website: 364.00

So I'd recommend always shopping around.

Where the stockholders booking option is nearly always the cheapest is when
you book at short notice, during peak times. That's because the ordinary
P&O web sites work with 'fluid pricing' i.e. the fewer seats/berths left the
more expensive they become. However, the stockholders website (and
brochure) uses a fixed price less discount.

Hope that helps.

Nigel.

Pee Dee <pee.dee@...>

[...]

There is a Consumers Association report out on Ferry crossing in the latest
Holiday Which (you may be able to view a copy in your library) There
recommendation is to shop around also. They even state the price can vary
between an internet quote and a telephone quote for the
same crossing by the same line???

Neill King <neill.king1@...>