[MH-list] Reverse gear

Simon Whitehead

Hi,
I remember talking to Derek of Delfin Designs (Modified Gearchanges) about the clutch and he said that they have a tendency to go suddenly. The typical case would be the need to adjust the clutch, then again a few days later, and then again. Soon there would be no adjustment left. 60,000 miles is what he reckons the norm is. It is worth remembering that the machine is always fully loaded.

This concversation took place when Derek replaced my somewhat sloppy gearchange for his uprated design. Very tight and car-like it is. He showed me the old linkage and there were a number of not-so hairline cracks in it which looked as if they would cause me problems soon. One of those problems might be failing to fine a gear.

You could do worse than to give Derek a ring at Delfin. The number is in any of the MMM mags (not to hand here at the mo.)

Simon

On Wednesday, Jun 4, 2003, at 14:30 Europe/London, Darren wrote:

Our Talbot express based AS Harmonony (Homer) has deveolped an
annoying intermittant fault. Sometimes It refuses to go into reverse.
All of the other gears are fine but now and then I cannot select reverse.

I have spoke to my friend John (a fellow list member) and he thought
that it might be the linkage.
The dealer sent me to the garage who does it's work for them and they
just adjusted the clutch. This seemed to work, but a few days later it
happened again.

The garage has had Homer back now for a second time, but cannot find
anything wrong. The mechanic says that the only thing left to try is
fit a new clutch. To do this he has to get authorisation from the
dealer. As he can't say for certain that it's the clutch at fault, he
thinks that the dealer might not be too happy about this.

Homer has only done 17,000 miles. That's a very low for a commercial
vehicle's clutch to go, but the mechanic seems to think that the low
mileage could be the reason for premature failiure. He say that
Clutches can harden if not used.

I have no problem with a slipping clutch, but the slightest depresion
of the clutch pedal will cause the clutch to slip. This usually only
happens when going up through the box.

Does anyone on the list have any thoughts on this problem? As I say it
only happens now and then. The last time it happened I thought that
I'd have to push Homer into his parking spot.

TIA
Darren
Homer less for 2 days and counting :(

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/ktVolB/TM