[MH-list] Wild camping in France now illegal?

Steve Wilson <steve@...>

Just come back from Ile de Re and wild camped 7 out of 9 nights, but it was
difficult!
Don't know where the 'Ile de Re' is exactly, but I'd hazard a guess it's probably a tourist
trap. If so, then it stands to reason that such will be the first (and hopefully) only places
to have such a law rigorously enforced.

-Steve Wilson

danielmedleyuk <danielmedleyuk@...>

--- In motorhome-list@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Wilson" <steve@s...>
wrote:
Just come back from Ile de Re and wild camped 7 out of 9 nights,
but it was
difficult!
Don't know where the 'Ile de Re' is exactly, but I'd hazard a guess
it's probably a tourist
trap. If so, then it stands to reason that such will be the first
(and hopefully) only places
to have such a law rigorously enforced.

-Steve Wilson
Steve, You are right. The island has dozens of campsites and Aires.
It seems mean-spirited to try and freeload in this very popular part
of the Atlantic coast. It cetainly is not Wild Camping and spoils it
for the rest of us.

Danny

Steve Latham <stephen.latham1@...>

Spot on. Just of the coat by La Rochelle now reached by big bridge. As I recall plenty campsites etc.

Steve L

> Just come back from Ile de Re and wild camped 7 out of 9 nights, but it was
> difficult!

Don't know where the 'Ile de Re' is exactly, but I'd hazard a guess it's probably a tourist
trap. If so, then it stands to reason that such will be the first (and hopefully) only places
to have such a law rigorously enforced.

-Steve Wilson

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Website: http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk

Steve Wilson <steve@...>

Spot on. Just of the coat by La Rochelle now reached by big bridge. As I recall plenty campsites etc.
Just had a look at the map. Yup ...thar she blows. Just to the south of Ile de Noirmoutier.

I remember making for there one summer's cycle tour, thinking I fancied a spot of beach
bumming. What a mistake! Even setting the crass timing aside (we chose the public
holiday when the whole of Paris drives there for a spot of baise-moi-vite), it has to be
said that the place itself is unremarkable.

Except for seasonal overcrowding, that is. We couldn't get a pitch on a camp site, so we
wild camped on the beach amidst all the rubbish and in full earshot of sundry adolescent
mating rituals. The following morning we arose early and made 120 miles to get as far
away from the place as possible.

-Steve

Buff Eagle <buff@...>

If you don't want to camp on a site, then you need to get away from where
the campsites are, get into the countryside and usually away from the sea if
it is a popular area. Go inland a little bit and you could be in a
different country! I have a feeling there is a rule about not wild camping
within a certain distance of a campsite.

Buff :0)

Voxy

I agree with Buff. I too have heard this rule about no wild camping
within ? miles/kilometers of a campsite.
Again I think it boils down to common sense, courtesy, and good
manners.
We wild camped, along with others at the Eastern end of the sea front
in Llandudno, where there are only fields facing the sea front.
Whilst taking an evening stroll we saw one motorhome wild camping on
the sea front, parked directly outside the panaramic window of a
hotel dinning room. What a lovely view the residents must have had at
breakfast!
Voxy.

Trevor Mace <macet416@...>

Spot on. Just of the coat by La Rochelle now reached by big
bridge. As I recall plenty campsites etc.
Ah yes, but last week many were not open

Except for seasonal overcrowding, that is. We couldn't get a
pitch on a camp site, so we wild camped on the beach amidst
all the rubbish and in full earshot of sundry adolescent
mating rituals.
The local tourist office gave us a list of places where it WAS possible to
stop for just one night.

My original comment of it being difficult to wild camp was based on
experience of other parts of France and the many notices we saw this time
banning overnight stops by camping cars. We had never been to the Ile de Re
before and it was very quiet at the beginning of the week - I imagine that
in August it's dreadful! As teachers we normally are restricted to
July/August and our experiences last week encouraged us to look forward to
retirement!

BTW I was rather stung by the phrase 'freeloader' as we do use campsites,
pay for our water/waste at Aires and last week negotiated with camp owners
on the cost of refilling tanks and dumping waste. This is on top of the
money we bring into the community by eating out and food/fuel/gas/present
purchases.

Trevor Mace
CI Itaca www.abacus-web.co.uk