Date   

Re: Was airconditioning now Carol/lockdown/Spain/France

Peter S
 

That sounds horrendous, Louisa. I think the cure is going to turn out worse than the disease with the virtual shut down of health services other than for covid-19 whichever country they are in.

 

Peter S

 

From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Louisa Livingstone
Sent: 06 July 2020 07:50
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: [motorhome-list] Was airconditioning now Carol/lockdown/Spain/France

 

Hi Carol, nice to hear from you! The lockdown in Spain was rather terrifying being alone as someone who gets human contact with people simply by nipping out to various ordinary places as and when, and what with the continual threat of 600 euro fines if you couldn't prove you were  going to the nearest supermarket for food (singly of course) the only thing allowed for 7 weeks for adults - not even a walk etc (if you had a dog you were told you had to only take it out and in again for it's toilet, not walk it!). Children weren't even allowed outside at all, not allowed to accompany a parent to the supermarket.. or go anywhere at all  However they, at 6 weeks into it were finally allowed outside for an hour within 1 km of home with one adult which helped them and the parent. International scrutiny on Spain's lockdown was then happening which may have helped. At 7 weeks of virtual incarceration all adults ie those without children were also allowed outside for a walk within 1km for an hour for exercise. So that helped, as people were getting terribly stressed. I heard of two local expat suicides too. It's abnormal to say the least being unable to even have a walk. People wer also being told continually they can't go shopping frequently and might get checked, you couldn't make it up. The local town halls and police had videos on Facebook showing military and police road blocks and helicopters flying over remote mountainous countryside making sure nobody was out *anywhere* ..and talking about all the people they'd fined and 600 euros too, including lone people out wit a their dogs! So apart from the issue of any potential illness it was like WW3 and felt like very threatening martial law all of a sudden. I'm the most law abiding person and was terrified. What if I couldn't prove why I was out on my way to the supermarket? Very relieved to be on the other side of all that now. I'm now in the vulnerable category agewise although I look after my health, and I felt far more threatened and terrified by the extreme form of lockdown which felt inhumane, than any virus. People were all getting terribly distressed. Children in Spain really suffered and it was also hard for  the non driving halves of couples who couldn't accompany their driving spouses to the nearest supermarket, as only 1 person, the driver, was allowed in a car anytime... and food shopping was the only way of getting out for all that time so they couldn't even do that. At least couples had each other but I'm sure domestic violence soared too. You'd hear about not only about road blocks but also police checks of residence address at supermarkets too in case anyone dreamt of going to a different supermarket further away. It was extremely martial.

 

Actually it made me yearn for French soil and culture, having been born there and being half French, the other half British, it's so much more civilised there than Spain in many nice ways, (apart from lockdown which I gather was no picnic there either) for actually living long term as a solo foreign woman (I could and may write a book about my Spanish experiences along the lines of a horror story!). Even if not quite as sunny (a blessed relief in summer actually when temps can reach 40+C and people in the south flock north or to beaches wherever possible) France has been calling.. I was looking at rock bottom cheap places in France online and using Google maps to wander through various areas around central and SW France looking at various villages and roads and uploaded photos, and I recall seeing one of yours, I noticed your name and thought of you! I almost contacted you.. Can't remember where it was now exactly but how did you like your trips through France? I no longer have my motorhome so I've been fantasizing about ways to turn my Renault Kangoo into a mini camper.. but who knows, just feeling somewhat exhausted at the moment and enjoying being a lot more free with my 4 dogs!

 

Where did you like best on your French travels? How did you cope with lockdown in UK? I get a sense of mass confusion in UK.

 

Looking forward to hearing your news Carol 

 

Louisa x

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: E-scooters from Saturday

Peter S
 

I thought it was only fairly recently that the law came in – 2010  “The DfT adds that it expects to remove that requirement contained in the Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2010 and for bikes to be sold with a bell, and other rules including those relating to lights and reflectors plus the Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983 will also be reviewed..

 

I have bells on my bikes. They only go ting but they are there. I hate it when cyclists creep up behind you on a path where they are allowed and are surprised that you havent heard them. Wife and I were chatting, unusual for us, whilst on our daily walk down a farm drive the other day and didnt hear the car creeping up behind us, we know the chap driving and he had a bit of a laugh when I told him why we had ignored him.

 

Peter S

 

(Dont know why computer is putting in big gaps around some punctuation marks.)

 

 

From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ernest Bull
Sent: 06 July 2020 09:33
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] E-scooters from Saturday

 

On 1 Jul 2020, at 12:03, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

 

By law bike's don't have to have a bell once they have been sold by the bike shop.

 

(Sorry, wrote by return, but forgot to hit <Send>)

 

So it seems, Peter, but not so when I was a kid. People were fined, like, 7/6 and 9d costs. And the courts did not then accept that a shout would do, as, I quote, “It does not identify a cycle as the threat.”

 

I have a bell, but it is surprising how some pedestrians on cycle paths react to the the tiniest ting-a-ling. They seem to assume that I want them to get out of my way when I am only indicating my approach.

_______

 

ErnB

 

 

 

 

 

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: E-scooters from Saturday

Ernest Bull
 

On 1 Jul 2020, at 12:03, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

By law bike's don't have to have a bell once they have been sold by the bike shop.

(Sorry, wrote by return, but forgot to hit <Send>)

So it seems, Peter, but not so when I was a kid. People were fined, like, 7/6 and 9d costs. And the courts did not then accept that a shout would do, as, I quote, “It does not identify a cycle as the threat.”

I have a bell, but it is surprising how some pedestrians on cycle paths react to the the tiniest ting-a-ling. They seem to assume that I want them to get out of my way when I am only indicating my approach.
_______

ErnB







Re: airconditioning

Derek Sims
 

We've just had an interesting "discussion" about this thread. I mentioned to Tish about Louisa's trick of hanging a freezer block in front of the fan. Her response was "Wouldn't that just make the fridge kick out more heat?" We have a compressor fridge which doesn't have external venting (Thank You Hymer). Thoughts, anyone?

Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.


On 06/07/2020, 06:19 "Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;)" <yahoo@...> wrote:
Got one (at less money), initially encouraging but indifferent performance and steadily worsening as moisture creeps into and affects the cheap components. Now unused. Useless on a sticky night when humidity is high - it was in the 80s @ 15c here recently.

Best was our 12v 'Endless Breeze' box fan with anything you like in front of it to add extra cooling - sadly no longer available in UK since Dometic bought out Fantastic Fan. Roadpro used to do one too but that also seems to have disappeared.


Best regards

Neill (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
-----------------------------------------------
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165
neill@... motorcaravanning@...
------------------------------------------------------------
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information




-----Original Message-----
From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of timsinc Sinclair
Sent: 05 July 2020 11:03
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: [motorhome-list] airconditioning

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim







Re: Was airconditioning now Carol/lockdown/Spain/France

Carol Weaver
 

Replied off list as didn’t think you’d all want to read it

C

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 07:49, Louisa Livingstone <louisalivingstone@...> wrote:
Hi Carol, nice to hear from you! The lockdown in Spain was rather terrifying being alone as someone who gets human contact with people simply by nipping out to various ordinary places as and when, and what with the continual threat of 600 euro fines if you couldn't prove you were  going to the nearest supermarket for food (singly of course) the only thing allowed for 7 weeks for adults - not even a walk etc (if you had a dog you were told you had to only take it out and in again for it's toilet, not walk it!). Children weren't even allowed outside at all, not allowed to accompany a parent to the supermarket.. or go anywhere at all  However they, at 6 weeks into it were finally allowed outside for an hour within 1 km of home with one adult which helped them and the parent. International scrutiny on Spain's lockdown was then happening which may have helped. At 7 weeks of virtual incarceration all adults ie those without children were also allowed outside for a walk within 1km for an hour for exercise. So that helped, as people were getting terribly stressed. I heard of two local expat suicides too. It's abnormal to say the least being unable to even have a walk. People wer also being told continually they can't go shopping frequently and might get checked, you couldn't make it up. The local town halls and police had videos on Facebook showing military and police road blocks and helicopters flying over remote mountainous countryside making sure nobody was out *anywhere* ..and talking about all the people they'd fined and 600 euros too, including lone people out wit a their dogs! So apart from the issue of any potential illness it was like WW3 and felt like very threatening martial law all of a sudden. I'm the most law abiding person and was terrified. What if I couldn't prove why I was out on my way to the supermarket? Very relieved to be on the other side of all that now. I'm now in the vulnerable category agewise although I look after my health, and I felt far more threatened and terrified by the extreme form of lockdown which felt inhumane, than any virus. People were all getting terribly distressed. Children in Spain really suffered and it was also hard for  the non driving halves of couples who couldn't accompany their driving spouses to the nearest supermarket, as only 1 person, the driver, was allowed in a car anytime... and food shopping was the only way of getting out for all that time so they couldn't even do that. At least couples had each other but I'm sure domestic violence soared too. You'd hear about not only about road blocks but also police checks of residence address at supermarkets too in case anyone dreamt of going to a different supermarket further away. It was extremely martial.

Actually it made me yearn for French soil and culture, having been born there and being half French, the other half British, it's so much more civilised there than Spain in many nice ways, (apart from lockdown which I gather was no picnic there either) for actually living long term as a solo foreign woman (I could and may write a book about my Spanish experiences along the lines of a horror story!). Even if not quite as sunny (a blessed relief in summer actually when temps can reach 40+C and people in the south flock north or to beaches wherever possible) France has been calling.. I was looking at rock bottom cheap places in France online and using Google maps to wander through various areas around central and SW France looking at various villages and roads and uploaded photos, and I recall seeing one of yours, I noticed your name and thought of you! I almost contacted you.. Can't remember where it was now exactly but how did you like your trips through France? I no longer have my motorhome so I've been fantasizing about ways to turn my Renault Kangoo into a mini camper.. but who knows, just feeling somewhat exhausted at the moment and enjoying being a lot more free with my 4 dogs!

Where did you like best on your French travels? How did you cope with lockdown in UK? I get a sense of mass confusion in UK.

Looking forward to hearing your news Carol 

Louisa x

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: airconditioning

Ernest Bull
 

On 5 Jul 2020, at 21:54, I wrote:

Same here. Still trying tower out which air-fryer is best. 

Damned auto spell check! TO WORK OUT….

OTOH, could it be a sort of providence?

Tower make air-fryers. LOL!
—————

ErnB


Was airconditioning now Carol/lockdown/Spain/France

Louisa Livingstone
 

Hi Carol, nice to hear from you! The lockdown in Spain was rather terrifying being alone as someone who gets human contact with people simply by nipping out to various ordinary places as and when, and what with the continual threat of 600 euro fines if you couldn't prove you were  going to the nearest supermarket for food (singly of course) the only thing allowed for 7 weeks for adults - not even a walk etc (if you had a dog you were told you had to only take it out and in again for it's toilet, not walk it!). Children weren't even allowed outside at all, not allowed to accompany a parent to the supermarket.. or go anywhere at all  However they, at 6 weeks into it were finally allowed outside for an hour within 1 km of home with one adult which helped them and the parent. International scrutiny on Spain's lockdown was then happening which may have helped. At 7 weeks of virtual incarceration all adults ie those without children were also allowed outside for a walk within 1km for an hour for exercise. So that helped, as people were getting terribly stressed. I heard of two local expat suicides too. It's abnormal to say the least being unable to even have a walk. People wer also being told continually they can't go shopping frequently and might get checked, you couldn't make it up. The local town halls and police had videos on Facebook showing military and police road blocks and helicopters flying over remote mountainous countryside making sure nobody was out *anywhere* ..and talking about all the people they'd fined and 600 euros too, including lone people out wit a their dogs! So apart from the issue of any potential illness it was like WW3 and felt like very threatening martial law all of a sudden. I'm the most law abiding person and was terrified. What if I couldn't prove why I was out on my way to the supermarket? Very relieved to be on the other side of all that now. I'm now in the vulnerable category agewise although I look after my health, and I felt far more threatened and terrified by the extreme form of lockdown which felt inhumane, than any virus. People were all getting terribly distressed. Children in Spain really suffered and it was also hard for  the non driving halves of couples who couldn't accompany their driving spouses to the nearest supermarket, as only 1 person, the driver, was allowed in a car anytime... and food shopping was the only way of getting out for all that time so they couldn't even do that. At least couples had each other but I'm sure domestic violence soared too. You'd hear about not only about road blocks but also police checks of residence address at supermarkets too in case anyone dreamt of going to a different supermarket further away. It was extremely martial.

Actually it made me yearn for French soil and culture, having been born there and being half French, the other half British, it's so much more civilised there than Spain in many nice ways, (apart from lockdown which I gather was no picnic there either) for actually living long term as a solo foreign woman (I could and may write a book about my Spanish experiences along the lines of a horror story!). Even if not quite as sunny (a blessed relief in summer actually when temps can reach 40+C and people in the south flock north or to beaches wherever possible) France has been calling.. I was looking at rock bottom cheap places in France online and using Google maps to wander through various areas around central and SW France looking at various villages and roads and uploaded photos, and I recall seeing one of yours, I noticed your name and thought of you! I almost contacted you.. Can't remember where it was now exactly but how did you like your trips through France? I no longer have my motorhome so I've been fantasizing about ways to turn my Renault Kangoo into a mini camper.. but who knows, just feeling somewhat exhausted at the moment and enjoying being a lot more free with my 4 dogs!

Where did you like best on your French travels? How did you cope with lockdown in UK? I get a sense of mass confusion in UK.

Looking forward to hearing your news Carol 

Louisa x


Re: airconditioning

Neill King \(MH-List\)
 

Got one (at less money), initially encouraging but indifferent performance and steadily worsening as moisture creeps into and affects the cheap components. Now unused. Useless on a sticky night when humidity is high - it was in the 80s @ 15c here recently.

Best was our 12v 'Endless Breeze' box fan with anything you like in front of it to add extra cooling - sadly no longer available in UK since Dometic bought out Fantastic Fan. Roadpro used to do one too but that also seems to have disappeared.


Best regards

Neill (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
-----------------------------------------------
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165
neill@... motorcaravanning@...
------------------------------------------------------------
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

-----Original Message-----
From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of timsinc Sinclair
Sent: 05 July 2020 11:03
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: [motorhome-list] airconditioning

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim


Re: airconditioning

Carol Weaver
 

Hi Louisa! 

Long time silent. Hope you are keeping well. Have you coped ok during Covid?  

Whereabouts are you?

Carol

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 22:01, Louisa Livingstone <louisalivingstone@...> wrote:
In southern Spain in extreme heat I put a frozen fridge block in front of a fan so the air it blows is cooler and dry. It certainly helps to do that. Just replace the frozen block with another one when it's warmed up

Louisa

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: airconditioning

Louisa Livingstone
 

In southern Spain in extreme heat I put a frozen fridge block in front of a fan so the air it blows is cooler and dry. It certainly helps to do that. Just replace the frozen block with another one when it's warmed up

Louisa


Re: airconditioning

Ernest Bull
 

On 5 Jul 2020, at 18:53, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Result of it all: still undecided!

Same here. Still trying tower out which air-fryer is best. 
________


ErnB


Re: airconditioning

timsinc Sinclair
 

Some great thinking... thank you all for input. Of unrealised
consideration is the factor about humidity and effectiveness.

Happens my digital thermometer in my van shows today (in a 20C windy
sun&cloud south-east) humidity level 36. At its peak seen figure 70,
but average under 50 - even after showering in van!

In recent heatwave (33.4C at Heathrow not far away, 38C in van) I used
my slightly more bulky fan heater on fan-only. Thankfully not too
noisy, so slept through the night. Daytime, however, at one stage
fired up and ran the VW T5 engine with the cab aircon on.

Result of it all: still undecided!

Tim

On 05/07/2020, M Stevenson <atcop.co@...> wrote:
This will slowly increase the humidity in the van, which in turn will
decrease the efficiency of the unit, to the point it stops working. So the
damp air needs venting to the outside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

A nice big fan and wearing a black t-shirt will use your body's natural
evaporative system just as well. This mechanism can also be topped up with a
nice cold beer occasionally. 😉

HoHum,
Max

On 5 Jul 2020 12:05 p.m., Keith Smith <tasman2405@...> wrote:

We have the Transcool version of this "air conditioner" - you are
obviously aware that it is not such a thing - however - I have to say that
bby putting 'fridge blocks into the machine as well as the water it did
cool us down in quite high temperatures in Greece and Sicily last year -
not perfect but at the price quoted - worth a punt.
Keith


On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim


--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*


Re: airconditioning

Alan Morris
 

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 10:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit.
Have you ever wondered why there are no 12 volt powered a/c units?

This is only USB 5 volt.

Alan.


Re: airconditioning

Ernest Bull
 

On 5 Jul 2020, at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

I seem to remember some bad reviews on such USB fans. Probably because of the very low power. I have an IcyCool mains powered 4 in 1 job and it blows an icy hurricane on top speed. And even though it can evaporate a gallon of ice water in a couple of hours, it only dropped recent room temps of 30+ down to 27 or 28. 

But hey! Better than nothing. When we travelled to hotter climes, we relied on two dodges. Battery powered fan sprays https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Handheld-Operated-Portable-Personal/dp/B00ATSJ6X0 

And dampened face flannels in plastic bags popped into the freezer. 

I noticed, too, in scenes in ME countries of large spray fans. I am talking of 1M in did. But how about one of these? https://tinyurl.com/y76lp23x 

HTH
______

ErnB



Re: airconditioning

Carol Weaver
 

Money back guarantee nothing lost so worth a try. 

C

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: airconditioning

M Stevenson
 

This will slowly increase the humidity in the van, which in turn will decrease the efficiency of the unit, to the point it stops working. So the damp air needs venting to the outside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

A nice big fan and wearing a black t-shirt will use your body's natural evaporative system just as well. This mechanism can also be topped up with a nice cold beer occasionally. 😉

HoHum,
Max

On 5 Jul 2020 12:05 p.m., Keith Smith <tasman2405@...> wrote:
We have the Transcool version of this "air conditioner" - you are obviously aware that it is not such a thing - however - I have to say that bby putting 'fridge blocks into the machine as well as the water it did cool us down in quite high temperatures in Greece and Sicily last year - not perfect but at the price quoted - worth a punt.
Keith


On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim




Re: airconditioning

Keith Smith
 

We have the Transcool version of this "air conditioner" - you are obviously aware that it is not such a thing - however - I have to say that bby putting 'fridge blocks into the machine as well as the water it did cool us down in quite high temperatures in Greece and Sicily last year - not perfect but at the price quoted - worth a punt.
Keith


On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:03, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim




Re: airconditioning

I'm Bazbro
 

This unit relies on DRY AIR to work best.  It's an evaporative air cooler (a mini 'swamp-cooler') but if the air is already as "damp" as it normally is in the UK, then the "evaporation" is markedly reduced.  They don't work as well in this country as in hot, dry places.
Without testing it, I'm guessing the output will be of the "mouse cough" variety, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020, 11:03 am timsinc Sinclair, <timsinc@...> wrote:
I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.

https://qualibeauty.co.uk/products/aircondition-uk?fbclid=IwAR37VNZYfByJxSGg9JeNrDJ9rv-d4SkK9k19u7OhnrwZnXhQ9oZAPk5_qGc

I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim




Re: airconditioning

M Stevenson
 

Hi,

Evaporative coolers are OK ish provided that the ambient humidity is low.

I bought a simple one from B&Q years ago, it did cool the air very slightly but it has since sat in the loft for years gathering dust. It was relatively noisy, and the water was in a simple tray, with a six inch square 'wick' and a small pump.
Had to bleach the wick a few times to remove black mould!!

If the humidity is high, it's useless, just like wasted sweat running down your body with no cooling effect.

Regards
Max


Re: airconditioning

Bennett Family
 

I looked at something similar on FB yesterday. There were quite a lot of negative comments. 

I suspect you would need to have the door closed or sit I front of it to a get a noticeable effect. 

But for £60 it would be worth Tim buying one and letting us know!

Martin

On 5 Jul 2020, at 11:39, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:


I looked at things like this.  They fill the place with water vapour.  This may not necessarily be a problem, but you need to take it into account.

The principle works.  A few years back I had a room in a cheap hotel in India.  There was an opening onto the landing, with a pile of damp straw and a fan blowing cooled air into the room.

If you get one, let us know how it works.

Mick

___________________________________________________________
Please make sure the only e-mail address you use for me is mickpotter@... or mickpotter@....  Any others you may find are likely to be temporary, and to disappear at a moment's notice.  I should hate to miss anything you send me.  Thanks.


On Sunday, 5 July 2020, 11:03:09 BST, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:


I'm tempted by this £60, wee supposed a/c unit. No room on
conservatory-like-sun-trap-camper roof for proper a/c, or bank balance
for such.

Wondered what others think or even maybe experienced.


I know it doesn't actually refrigerate the air - I had this huge unit
using similar system on a boat in which I used to live. Big area to
cool, it was ok but only when sat in front of it! Better when adding
ice to water. But for the small area of my tiny camper ?

Tim