Date   

Re: Hi All Can members please tell me what they put in their cassettes . I was advised by the list to put bio tablets from lidl but they dont sell them anymore Than kyou for your help.Lenvee

Ernest Bull
 

On 29 Jul 2020, at 07:07, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

Interesting to see so much sensible information about crap 

I was only asking my doctor the other day, “Why does everything I eat turn to crap?”

Turned out that it was one of the few medical questions that science actually has all of the answers to.
__________

ErnB




Re: Travel to Jersey - Long Posting

Brent
 

Hi Derek

Congrats on new edition and booking - what an excellent and informative post - well done and thanks for taking time to inform

One thing has puzzled me when you say:- and there is a size limit. Does it apply to physical size, weight or both!!?

Would we be able to take our 2018 Pilote P740C Sensation:-  Length (m). 7.45. Width (m). 2.30. Height (m) Weight 3850T would you know please?

Maybe I'll have to pull my finger out my ar5e and get our VW Split Screen back on the road ;-) :-)

Very best wishes and stay safe ALL


Re: Travel to Jersey - Long Posting

Bennett Family
 

Derek,

Thanks that was really useful.

We lived there in the early 70s and then went back a few times with a VW Dormobile that had to be hoisted on the ship In Weymouth by crane! In the early 80s we took a Motorhome Mk3 over and got exemption because we were selling some specialist wheelchairs. 

Last year I was asked to go back and work at the Pharmacy where I first worked as a pharmacist to cover some holidays and we were then looking at taking the van over, but, in the end, we couldn’t get the dates to work with commitments at home and ferries. 

Enjoy yourself. 

Martin


On 30 Jul 2020, at 11:05, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:


I was going to reply off-list to Martin, but Carol and Neill have expressed interested so I'll put it on general circulation, with apologies to anyone who's bored - just get a life, will you? ;-)
 
I think I can truthfully say that the only way we're able to do this at all is because we've been going to Jersey at least once a year to visit our younger son, including to his wedding in a vineyard, so we've come to know the system. However, I may be able to help others.
 
First, you need to know something about taking a motorhome to Jersey. You can only do this if you stay on a campsite. No booking - no permission to board the ferry, and there is a size limit, which you'll understand if you've ever driven Jersey's roads. If you have a motorhome you can travel around freely once you're there but you must return to your booked site every night, not wild camp at St. Ouen's beach like th locals. Break the rules and you'll be on the first ferry back home before you can say "Neismann Bishcoff"- I can't. That's the way they operate with any misbehaviour from outsiders and it keeps the Island peaceful. It doesn't matter if your son owns a field - thems the rules.
 
Until recently there were only three official campsites on Jersey, one of which, Beuvelande is affiliated to the CCC so you can normally book a complete ABTA-protected holiday including ferries through the Club and get substantial discounts on the published prices. (We would have saved over £100 on our April booking against booking direct. When that booking was cancelled we received a cash refund from the CCC within days whereas some are still fighting to get their money back). One advantage of Jersey of course, is that you don't have to have a valid passport, even though they're not part of the UK, or the EU come to that. Never have been.
 
Normally our booking routine is to go on website for Condor Ferries, which has the monopoly for ferries to Jersey from the UK and France and trades heavily on it, with significant under-investment over the years and the problems Martin's already found. It's allegedly now part of Brittany Ferries, but no evidence of it yet. Old ferries, frequent breakdowns, etc.
However, with no alternative for us, we would identify days and crossings which appeared to give the best combination of price and convenience, then ring the CCC (CMC don't do the Channel Islands), usually get a quote substantially cheaper, and book the campsite through them - could all be done in an hour.
 
Unfortunately the CCC Foreign Travel staff are all furloughed and can't take any foreign campsite bookings at present. They direct you to the website to book ferries, but that doesn't seem to work at the moment. (I have emailed them to ask if someone could book the ferries on our Behalf. Condor won't just give us the discount on the basis that as CCC members we would have been given that discount - I tried that one).
 
I was therefore forced to fall back on direct booking everything. The email below shows the response from he CCC-affiliiated site. I also contacted Rozel, the other large campsite and was told there were no vacancies before September 1st. There is another alternative kind of site called Daisy Cottage, which offers all sorts of alternative therapies and other things. They haven't even replied yet. There is also some official camping which has recently become available at the Durrell Zoo (probably spare cages as the endangered species die out). I haven't looked into that.
 
However, the saving grace is that a motorhoming couple called Dave and Carolyn Huelin, who travel extensively in France, used a piece of their land to set up what is effectively a cross between an aire and a CL, about five years ago.
Sorry, pressed send instead of save now.
 
Its a large area of hardstanding in a south-facing valley just in from the coast and it's adults only because there's a concrete reprocessing plant next door and they're concerned about children getting in and being injured. We've never known it to be operational. There are six large pitches, each with hookup and water point close by (shared). Social distancing would be no problem. There's a drive-over drain, toilet disposal and sorted recycling and it's all beautifully kept. They come by most days and check everything and they're very sociable. The price this year is £20 per night.
 
The are not taking bookings this year, but we were almost their first customers so when I contacted them direct yesterday they accepted our booking straight away. We've paid and they've sent us the travel pass which every motorhome has to display in the windscreen.
 
With regard to the ferries, I've rung Condor, it's free, and they've assured me that at present the ones we want to use are only half-booked and don't anticipate a problem if we wait a few days to see if the CCC come back to us. They're happy for us to ring every day in the meantime to ensure the availability is still there. If we have to go with their prices it will be £254 for Poole to Jersey and £233 for St. Helier to St Malo. The slow ferry from Portsmouth is about £20 cheaper but it's 10 hours instead of four for the fast ferry from Poole. However, it can be a lovely crossing, feeling almost like a cruise (except for the dire food).
 
Martin, if you haven't managed to get a booking from St. Helier to St Malo it's worth a call direct to Condor. Although they won't book anything more than a small motorhome on the website, they took us in our Esterel A Class at 6.65m but we had to reverse on at the end and they were already out of the harbour before we got out of the 'van. It truly is a fast ferry.
 
If you haven't been to Jersey, it's a lovely island  with an incredible variety in its 9x5 miles. We love it more every time we go and are still finding new spots. We understand why our son and family want to sweat out their 10 years to be able to by an over-priced rabbit hutch. After all, a rabbit hutch in paradise is still in paradise!
 
If anyone's really interested, I might be able to persuade Dave and Carolyn at the Hideaway Stopover to take more bookings. Otherwise I'm afraid it's a non-starter for you.
 
Sorry about the long disrupted post.
 
HTH
 
Derek
 
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 8:43 PM
From: beuvelande@...
To: derek.sims@...
Subject: RE: Customer enquiry - D Sims
Good Evening

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we only have pitch availability mid-week untill September.

On a side note please see below advice for clients from overseas wishing to visit us in Jersey this season.

Due to Covid-19 and the opening of Jersey Borders, we as a business have had to revise our policies.

We would require proof of a negative test result from an on Island PCR Test re COVID-19 from anyone who comes to the campsite from off Island. You would be asked to provide evidence of a negative result on your arrival at the campsite at the point of check in.

That would mean that you wouldn’t be able to arrive on Island and come straight to the campsite irrespective of whether you are staying in our of our hired units or with your own camping vehicle or equipment. At present there is wait time for results of 12 to as much as 72 hours! Other arrangements would need to be made for the first couple of nights.

The reason the business owners have had to make this decision is in light of the amount of communal facilities which the campsite has available to guests.

If you would still like to proceed with an enquiry or indeed to make a booking please call the office to confirm the details and make a payment to finalise the booking.

We are experiencing a very high volume of calls and emails at present please do bear with us if you don’t get through on the phones straight away.

The office is open Monday to Friday 9am till 3pm we would be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks and kind regards
Aimée Leaman-Gonçalves
Beuvelande Campsite
Rue de Beuvelande
St Martin
Jersey
Channel Islands
JE3 6EZ

+44(0)1534 853575
info@...
www.beuvelandecampsite.com

Please note a non-refundable deposit is required to make any booking.
No reservation is confirmed until funds have been received by the campsite.

-----Original Message-----
From: Contact Form <beuvelande@...>
Sent: 29 July 2020 12:36
To: beuvelande@...
Subject: Customer enquiry - D Sims

From: D Sims <derek.sims@...>

Phone Number: 07709945579
Arrival Date: 14.8.20
Number of nights: 17
Adults: 2
Children:
Accommodation Type: Standard Pitch


Message Body:

Please could you confirm whether you have availability for the above nights. We are members of the Camping & Caravanning Club and had booked through them for a visit to our son & family in St Helier. Unfortunately the coronavirus put a stop to that and now the club office is not open for booking via them.

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Beuvelande Campsite (http://www.campingjersey.com)

 


Re: Travel to Jersey - Long Posting

Carol Weaver
 

I thought it a brilliant post was left wondering about the CL then it came🤣

Well worth waiting for. Didn’t know your son was now living there. Lucky man!!

Enjoy your trip. Hope you get the discount 

It took CCC staff four and a half weeks to reply to my email, which didn’t answer it.   I wrote a snotty mail back saying maybe they need to unfurlough some staff to service us. I got a reply back within a couple of hours.  Hope yours is quicker 

Carol

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 13:09, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Derek, definitely no apologies needed for lengthy post. Entertaining
and, importantly, informative - certainly worthy of wider audience
(ie, as here) than a one-off personal reply. Come post-Covid
days/years, I'm really tempted to make Jersey a very long stop-over on
the way to France.

Campervan Tim

On 30/07/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:
> I was going to reply off-list to Martin, but Carol and Neill have expressed
> interested so I'll put it on general circulation, with apologies to anyone
> who's bored - just get a life, will you? ;-)
>
> I think I can truthfully say that the only way we're able to do this at all
> is because we've been going to Jersey at least once a year to visit our
> younger son, including to his wedding in a vineyard, so we've come to know
> the system. However, I may be able to help others.
>
> First, you need to know something about taking a motorhome to Jersey. You
> can only do this if you stay on a campsite. No booking - no permission to
> board the ferry, and there is a size limit, which you'll understand if
> you've ever driven Jersey's roads. If you have a motorhome you can travel
> around freely once you're there but you must return to your booked site
> every night, not wild camp at St. Ouen's beach like th locals. Break the
> rules and you'll be on the first ferry back home before you can say
> "Neismann Bishcoff"- I can't. That's the way they operate with any
> misbehaviour from outsiders and it keeps the Island peaceful. It doesn't
> matter if your son owns a field - thems the rules.
>
> Until recently there were only three official campsites on Jersey, one of
> which, Beuvelande is affiliated to the CCC so you can normally book a
> complete ABTA-protected holiday including ferries through the Club and get
> substantial discounts on the published prices. (We would have saved over
> £100 on our April booking against booking direct. When that booking was
> cancelled we received a cash refund from the CCC within days whereas some
> are still fighting to get their money back). One advantage of Jersey of
> course, is that you don't have to have a valid passport, even though they're
> not part of the UK, or the EU come to that. Never have been.
>
> Normally our booking routine is to go on website for Condor Ferries, which
> has the monopoly for ferries to Jersey from the UK and France and trades
> heavily on it, with significant under-investment over the years and the
> problems Martin's already found. It's allegedly now part of Brittany
> Ferries, but no evidence of it yet. Old ferries, frequent breakdowns, etc.
> However, with no alternative for us, we would identify days and crossings
> which appeared to give the best combination of price and convenience, then
> ring the CCC (CMC don't do the Channel Islands), usually get a quote
> substantially cheaper, and book the campsite through them - could all be
> done in an hour.
>
> Unfortunately the CCC Foreign Travel staff are all furloughed and can't take
> any foreign campsite bookings at present. They direct you to the website to
> book ferries, but that doesn't seem to work at the moment. (I have emailed
> them to ask if someone could book the ferries on our Behalf. Condor won't
> just give us the discount on the basis that as CCC members we would have
> been given that discount - I tried that one).
>
> I was therefore forced to fall back on direct booking everything. The email
> below shows the response from he CCC-affiliiated site. I also contacted
> Rozel, the other large campsite and was told there were no vacancies before
> September 1st. There is another alternative kind of site called Daisy
> Cottage, which offers all sorts of alternative therapies and other things.
> They haven't even replied yet. There is also some official camping which has
> recently become available at the Durrell Zoo (probably spare cages as the
> endangered species die out). I haven't looked into that.
>
> However, the saving grace is that a motorhoming couple called Dave and
> Carolyn Huelin, who travel extensively in France, used a piece of their land
> to set up what is effectively a cross between an aire and a CL, about five
> years ago.
> Sorry, pressed send instead of save now.
>
> Its a large area of hardstanding in a south-facing valley just in from the
> coast and it's adults only because there's a concrete reprocessing plant
> next door and they're concerned about children getting in and being injured.
> We've never known it to be operational. There are six large pitches, each
> with hookup and water point close by (shared). Social distancing would be no
> problem. There's a drive-over drain, toilet disposal and sorted recycling
> and it's all beautifully kept. They come by most days and check everything
> and they're very sociable. The price this year is £20 per night.
>
> The are not taking bookings this year, but we were almost their first
> customers so when I contacted them direct yesterday they accepted our
> booking straight away. We've paid and they've sent us the travel pass which
> every motorhome has to display in the windscreen.
>
> With regard to the ferries, I've rung Condor, it's free, and they've assured
> me that at present the ones we want to use are only half-booked and don't
> anticipate a problem if we wait a few days to see if the CCC come back to
> us. They're happy for us to ring every day in the meantime to ensure the
> availability is still there. If we have to go with their prices it will be
> £254 for Poole to Jersey and £233 for St. Helier to St Malo. The slow ferry
> from Portsmouth is about £20 cheaper but it's 10 hours instead of four for
> the fast ferry from Poole. However, it can be a lovely crossing, feeling
> almost like a cruise (except for the dire food).
>
> Martin, if you haven't managed to get a booking from St. Helier to St Malo
> it's worth a call direct to Condor. Although they won't book anything more
> than a small motorhome on the website, they took us in our Esterel A Class
> at 6.65m but we had to reverse on at the end and they were already out of
> the harbour before we got out of the 'van. It truly is a fast ferry.
>
> If you haven't been to Jersey, it's a lovely island  with an incredible
> variety in its 9x5 miles. We love it more every time we go and are still
> finding new spots. We understand why our son and family want to sweat out
> their 10 years to be able to by an over-priced rabbit hutch. After all, a
> rabbit hutch in paradise is still in paradise!
>
> If anyone's really interested, I might be able to persuade Dave and Carolyn
> at the Hideaway Stopover to take more bookings. Otherwise I'm afraid it's a
> non-starter for you.
>
> Sorry about the long disrupted post.
>
> HTH
>
> Derek
>
> Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 8:43 PM
> From: beuvelande@...
> To: derek.sims@...
> Subject: RE: Customer enquiry - D Sims
> Good Evening
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
> Unfortunately we only have pitch availability mid-week untill September.
>
> On a side note please see below advice for clients from overseas wishing to
> visit us in Jersey this season.
>
> Due to Covid-19 and the opening of Jersey Borders, we as a business have had
> to revise our policies.
>
> We would require proof of a negative test result from an on Island PCR Test
> re COVID-19 from anyone who comes to the campsite from off Island. You would
> be asked to provide evidence of a negative result on your arrival at the
> campsite at the point of check in.
>
> That would mean that you wouldn’t be able to arrive on Island and come
> straight to the campsite irrespective of whether you are staying in our of
> our hired units or with your own camping vehicle or equipment. At present
> there is wait time for results of 12 to as much as 72 hours! Other
> arrangements would need to be made for the first couple of nights.
>
> The reason the business owners have had to make this decision is in light of
> the amount of communal facilities which the campsite has available to
> guests.
>
> If you would still like to proceed with an enquiry or indeed to make a
> booking please call the office to confirm the details and make a payment to
> finalise the booking.
>
> We are experiencing a very high volume of calls and emails at present please
> do bear with us if you don’t get through on the phones straight away.
>
> The office is open Monday to Friday 9am till 3pm we would be delighted to
> hear from you.
>
> Many thanks and kind regards
> Aimée Leaman-Gonçalves
> Beuvelande Campsite
> Rue de Beuvelande
> St Martin
> Jersey
> Channel Islands
> JE3 6EZ
>
> +44(0)1534 853575
> info@...
> www.beuvelandecampsite.com
>
> Please note a non-refundable deposit is required to make any booking.
> No reservation is confirmed until funds have been received by the campsite.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Contact Form <beuvelande@...>
> Sent: 29 July 2020 12:36
> To: beuvelande@...
> Subject: Customer enquiry - D Sims
>
> From: D Sims <derek.sims@...>
>
> Phone Number: 07709945579
> Arrival Date: 14.8.20
> Number of nights: 17
> Adults: 2
> Children:
> Accommodation Type: Standard Pitch
>
>
> Message Body:
>
> Please could you confirm whether you have availability for the above nights.
> We are members of the Camping & Caravanning Club and had booked through them
> for a visit to our son & family in St Helier. Unfortunately the coronavirus
> put a stop to that and now the club office is not open for booking via them.
>
> --
> This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Beuvelande Campsite
> (http://www.campingjersey.com)
>
>
>


--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Travel to Jersey - Long Posting

timsinc Sinclair
 

Derek, definitely no apologies needed for lengthy post. Entertaining
and, importantly, informative - certainly worthy of wider audience
(ie, as here) than a one-off personal reply. Come post-Covid
days/years, I'm really tempted to make Jersey a very long stop-over on
the way to France.

Campervan Tim

On 30/07/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:
I was going to reply off-list to Martin, but Carol and Neill have expressed
interested so I'll put it on general circulation, with apologies to anyone
who's bored - just get a life, will you? ;-)

I think I can truthfully say that the only way we're able to do this at all
is because we've been going to Jersey at least once a year to visit our
younger son, including to his wedding in a vineyard, so we've come to know
the system. However, I may be able to help others.

First, you need to know something about taking a motorhome to Jersey. You
can only do this if you stay on a campsite. No booking - no permission to
board the ferry, and there is a size limit, which you'll understand if
you've ever driven Jersey's roads. If you have a motorhome you can travel
around freely once you're there but you must return to your booked site
every night, not wild camp at St. Ouen's beach like th locals. Break the
rules and you'll be on the first ferry back home before you can say
"Neismann Bishcoff"- I can't. That's the way they operate with any
misbehaviour from outsiders and it keeps the Island peaceful. It doesn't
matter if your son owns a field - thems the rules.

Until recently there were only three official campsites on Jersey, one of
which, Beuvelande is affiliated to the CCC so you can normally book a
complete ABTA-protected holiday including ferries through the Club and get
substantial discounts on the published prices. (We would have saved over
£100 on our April booking against booking direct. When that booking was
cancelled we received a cash refund from the CCC within days whereas some
are still fighting to get their money back). One advantage of Jersey of
course, is that you don't have to have a valid passport, even though they're
not part of the UK, or the EU come to that. Never have been.

Normally our booking routine is to go on website for Condor Ferries, which
has the monopoly for ferries to Jersey from the UK and France and trades
heavily on it, with significant under-investment over the years and the
problems Martin's already found. It's allegedly now part of Brittany
Ferries, but no evidence of it yet. Old ferries, frequent breakdowns, etc.
However, with no alternative for us, we would identify days and crossings
which appeared to give the best combination of price and convenience, then
ring the CCC (CMC don't do the Channel Islands), usually get a quote
substantially cheaper, and book the campsite through them - could all be
done in an hour.

Unfortunately the CCC Foreign Travel staff are all furloughed and can't take
any foreign campsite bookings at present. They direct you to the website to
book ferries, but that doesn't seem to work at the moment. (I have emailed
them to ask if someone could book the ferries on our Behalf. Condor won't
just give us the discount on the basis that as CCC members we would have
been given that discount - I tried that one).

I was therefore forced to fall back on direct booking everything. The email
below shows the response from he CCC-affiliiated site. I also contacted
Rozel, the other large campsite and was told there were no vacancies before
September 1st. There is another alternative kind of site called Daisy
Cottage, which offers all sorts of alternative therapies and other things.
They haven't even replied yet. There is also some official camping which has
recently become available at the Durrell Zoo (probably spare cages as the
endangered species die out). I haven't looked into that.

However, the saving grace is that a motorhoming couple called Dave and
Carolyn Huelin, who travel extensively in France, used a piece of their land
to set up what is effectively a cross between an aire and a CL, about five
years ago.
Sorry, pressed send instead of save now.

Its a large area of hardstanding in a south-facing valley just in from the
coast and it's adults only because there's a concrete reprocessing plant
next door and they're concerned about children getting in and being injured.
We've never known it to be operational. There are six large pitches, each
with hookup and water point close by (shared). Social distancing would be no
problem. There's a drive-over drain, toilet disposal and sorted recycling
and it's all beautifully kept. They come by most days and check everything
and they're very sociable. The price this year is £20 per night.

The are not taking bookings this year, but we were almost their first
customers so when I contacted them direct yesterday they accepted our
booking straight away. We've paid and they've sent us the travel pass which
every motorhome has to display in the windscreen.

With regard to the ferries, I've rung Condor, it's free, and they've assured
me that at present the ones we want to use are only half-booked and don't
anticipate a problem if we wait a few days to see if the CCC come back to
us. They're happy for us to ring every day in the meantime to ensure the
availability is still there. If we have to go with their prices it will be
£254 for Poole to Jersey and £233 for St. Helier to St Malo. The slow ferry
from Portsmouth is about £20 cheaper but it's 10 hours instead of four for
the fast ferry from Poole. However, it can be a lovely crossing, feeling
almost like a cruise (except for the dire food).

Martin, if you haven't managed to get a booking from St. Helier to St Malo
it's worth a call direct to Condor. Although they won't book anything more
than a small motorhome on the website, they took us in our Esterel A Class
at 6.65m but we had to reverse on at the end and they were already out of
the harbour before we got out of the 'van. It truly is a fast ferry.

If you haven't been to Jersey, it's a lovely island with an incredible
variety in its 9x5 miles. We love it more every time we go and are still
finding new spots. We understand why our son and family want to sweat out
their 10 years to be able to by an over-priced rabbit hutch. After all, a
rabbit hutch in paradise is still in paradise!

If anyone's really interested, I might be able to persuade Dave and Carolyn
at the Hideaway Stopover to take more bookings. Otherwise I'm afraid it's a
non-starter for you.

Sorry about the long disrupted post.

HTH

Derek

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 8:43 PM
From: beuvelande@...
To: derek.sims@...
Subject: RE: Customer enquiry - D Sims
Good Evening

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we only have pitch availability mid-week untill September.

On a side note please see below advice for clients from overseas wishing to
visit us in Jersey this season.

Due to Covid-19 and the opening of Jersey Borders, we as a business have had
to revise our policies.

We would require proof of a negative test result from an on Island PCR Test
re COVID-19 from anyone who comes to the campsite from off Island. You would
be asked to provide evidence of a negative result on your arrival at the
campsite at the point of check in.

That would mean that you wouldn’t be able to arrive on Island and come
straight to the campsite irrespective of whether you are staying in our of
our hired units or with your own camping vehicle or equipment. At present
there is wait time for results of 12 to as much as 72 hours! Other
arrangements would need to be made for the first couple of nights.

The reason the business owners have had to make this decision is in light of
the amount of communal facilities which the campsite has available to
guests.

If you would still like to proceed with an enquiry or indeed to make a
booking please call the office to confirm the details and make a payment to
finalise the booking.

We are experiencing a very high volume of calls and emails at present please
do bear with us if you don’t get through on the phones straight away.

The office is open Monday to Friday 9am till 3pm we would be delighted to
hear from you.

Many thanks and kind regards
Aimée Leaman-Gonçalves
Beuvelande Campsite
Rue de Beuvelande
St Martin
Jersey
Channel Islands
JE3 6EZ

+44(0)1534 853575
info@...
www.beuvelandecampsite.com

Please note a non-refundable deposit is required to make any booking.
No reservation is confirmed until funds have been received by the campsite.

-----Original Message-----
From: Contact Form <beuvelande@...>
Sent: 29 July 2020 12:36
To: beuvelande@...
Subject: Customer enquiry - D Sims

From: D Sims <derek.sims@...>

Phone Number: 07709945579
Arrival Date: 14.8.20
Number of nights: 17
Adults: 2
Children:
Accommodation Type: Standard Pitch


Message Body:

Please could you confirm whether you have availability for the above nights.
We are members of the Camping & Caravanning Club and had booked through them
for a visit to our son & family in St Helier. Unfortunately the coronavirus
put a stop to that and now the club office is not open for booking via them.

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Beuvelande Campsite
(http://www.campingjersey.com)


--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*


Travel to Jersey - Long Posting

Derek Sims
 

I was going to reply off-list to Martin, but Carol and Neill have expressed interested so I'll put it on general circulation, with apologies to anyone who's bored - just get a life, will you? ;-)
 
I think I can truthfully say that the only way we're able to do this at all is because we've been going to Jersey at least once a year to visit our younger son, including to his wedding in a vineyard, so we've come to know the system. However, I may be able to help others.
 
First, you need to know something about taking a motorhome to Jersey. You can only do this if you stay on a campsite. No booking - no permission to board the ferry, and there is a size limit, which you'll understand if you've ever driven Jersey's roads. If you have a motorhome you can travel around freely once you're there but you must return to your booked site every night, not wild camp at St. Ouen's beach like th locals. Break the rules and you'll be on the first ferry back home before you can say "Neismann Bishcoff"- I can't. That's the way they operate with any misbehaviour from outsiders and it keeps the Island peaceful. It doesn't matter if your son owns a field - thems the rules.
 
Until recently there were only three official campsites on Jersey, one of which, Beuvelande is affiliated to the CCC so you can normally book a complete ABTA-protected holiday including ferries through the Club and get substantial discounts on the published prices. (We would have saved over £100 on our April booking against booking direct. When that booking was cancelled we received a cash refund from the CCC within days whereas some are still fighting to get their money back). One advantage of Jersey of course, is that you don't have to have a valid passport, even though they're not part of the UK, or the EU come to that. Never have been.
 
Normally our booking routine is to go on website for Condor Ferries, which has the monopoly for ferries to Jersey from the UK and France and trades heavily on it, with significant under-investment over the years and the problems Martin's already found. It's allegedly now part of Brittany Ferries, but no evidence of it yet. Old ferries, frequent breakdowns, etc.
However, with no alternative for us, we would identify days and crossings which appeared to give the best combination of price and convenience, then ring the CCC (CMC don't do the Channel Islands), usually get a quote substantially cheaper, and book the campsite through them - could all be done in an hour.
 
Unfortunately the CCC Foreign Travel staff are all furloughed and can't take any foreign campsite bookings at present. They direct you to the website to book ferries, but that doesn't seem to work at the moment. (I have emailed them to ask if someone could book the ferries on our Behalf. Condor won't just give us the discount on the basis that as CCC members we would have been given that discount - I tried that one).
 
I was therefore forced to fall back on direct booking everything. The email below shows the response from he CCC-affiliiated site. I also contacted Rozel, the other large campsite and was told there were no vacancies before September 1st. There is another alternative kind of site called Daisy Cottage, which offers all sorts of alternative therapies and other things. They haven't even replied yet. There is also some official camping which has recently become available at the Durrell Zoo (probably spare cages as the endangered species die out). I haven't looked into that.
 
However, the saving grace is that a motorhoming couple called Dave and Carolyn Huelin, who travel extensively in France, used a piece of their land to set up what is effectively a cross between an aire and a CL, about five years ago.
Sorry, pressed send instead of save now.
 
Its a large area of hardstanding in a south-facing valley just in from the coast and it's adults only because there's a concrete reprocessing plant next door and they're concerned about children getting in and being injured. We've never known it to be operational. There are six large pitches, each with hookup and water point close by (shared). Social distancing would be no problem. There's a drive-over drain, toilet disposal and sorted recycling and it's all beautifully kept. They come by most days and check everything and they're very sociable. The price this year is £20 per night.
 
The are not taking bookings this year, but we were almost their first customers so when I contacted them direct yesterday they accepted our booking straight away. We've paid and they've sent us the travel pass which every motorhome has to display in the windscreen.
 
With regard to the ferries, I've rung Condor, it's free, and they've assured me that at present the ones we want to use are only half-booked and don't anticipate a problem if we wait a few days to see if the CCC come back to us. They're happy for us to ring every day in the meantime to ensure the availability is still there. If we have to go with their prices it will be £254 for Poole to Jersey and £233 for St. Helier to St Malo. The slow ferry from Portsmouth is about £20 cheaper but it's 10 hours instead of four for the fast ferry from Poole. However, it can be a lovely crossing, feeling almost like a cruise (except for the dire food).
 
Martin, if you haven't managed to get a booking from St. Helier to St Malo it's worth a call direct to Condor. Although they won't book anything more than a small motorhome on the website, they took us in our Esterel A Class at 6.65m but we had to reverse on at the end and they were already out of the harbour before we got out of the 'van. It truly is a fast ferry.
 
If you haven't been to Jersey, it's a lovely island  with an incredible variety in its 9x5 miles. We love it more every time we go and are still finding new spots. We understand why our son and family want to sweat out their 10 years to be able to by an over-priced rabbit hutch. After all, a rabbit hutch in paradise is still in paradise!
 
If anyone's really interested, I might be able to persuade Dave and Carolyn at the Hideaway Stopover to take more bookings. Otherwise I'm afraid it's a non-starter for you.
 
Sorry about the long disrupted post.
 
HTH
 
Derek

 
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 8:43 PM
From: beuvelande@...
To: derek.sims@...
Subject: RE: Customer enquiry - D Sims
Good Evening

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we only have pitch availability mid-week untill September.

On a side note please see below advice for clients from overseas wishing to visit us in Jersey this season.

Due to Covid-19 and the opening of Jersey Borders, we as a business have had to revise our policies.

We would require proof of a negative test result from an on Island PCR Test re COVID-19 from anyone who comes to the campsite from off Island. You would be asked to provide evidence of a negative result on your arrival at the campsite at the point of check in.

That would mean that you wouldn’t be able to arrive on Island and come straight to the campsite irrespective of whether you are staying in our of our hired units or with your own camping vehicle or equipment. At present there is wait time for results of 12 to as much as 72 hours! Other arrangements would need to be made for the first couple of nights.

The reason the business owners have had to make this decision is in light of the amount of communal facilities which the campsite has available to guests.

If you would still like to proceed with an enquiry or indeed to make a booking please call the office to confirm the details and make a payment to finalise the booking.

We are experiencing a very high volume of calls and emails at present please do bear with us if you don’t get through on the phones straight away.

The office is open Monday to Friday 9am till 3pm we would be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks and kind regards
Aimée Leaman-Gonçalves
Beuvelande Campsite
Rue de Beuvelande
St Martin
Jersey
Channel Islands
JE3 6EZ

+44(0)1534 853575
info@...
www.beuvelandecampsite.com

Please note a non-refundable deposit is required to make any booking.
No reservation is confirmed until funds have been received by the campsite.

-----Original Message-----
From: Contact Form <beuvelande@...>
Sent: 29 July 2020 12:36
To: beuvelande@...
Subject: Customer enquiry - D Sims

From: D Sims <derek.sims@...>

Phone Number: 07709945579
Arrival Date: 14.8.20
Number of nights: 17
Adults: 2
Children:
Accommodation Type: Standard Pitch


Message Body:

Please could you confirm whether you have availability for the above nights. We are members of the Camping & Caravanning Club and had booked through them for a visit to our son & family in St Helier. Unfortunately the coronavirus put a stop to that and now the club office is not open for booking via them.

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Beuvelande Campsite (http://www.campingjersey.com)

 


Travel to Jersey - Long Posting

Derek Sims
 

I was going to reply off-list to Martin, but Carol and Neill have expressed interested so I'll put it on general circulation, with apologies to anyone who's bored - just get a life, will you? ;-)
 
I think I can truthfully say that the only way we're able to do this at all is because we've been going to Jersey at least once a year to visit our younger son, including to his wedding in a vineyard, so we've come to know the system. However, I may be able to help others.
 
First, you need to know something about taking a motorhome to Jersey. You can only do this if you stay on a campsite. No booking - no permission to board the ferry, and there is a size limit, which you'll understand if you've ever driven Jersey's roads. If you have a motorhome you can travel around freely once you're there but you must return to your booked site every night, not wild camp at St. Ouen's beach like th locals. Break the rules and you'll be on the first ferry back home before you can say "Neismann Bishcoff"- I can't. That's the way they operate with any misbehaviour from outsiders and it keeps the Island peaceful. It doesn't matter if your son owns a field - thems the rules.
 
Until recently there were only three official campsites on Jersey, one of which, Beuvelande is affiliated to the CCC so you can normally book a complete ABTA-protected holiday including ferries through the Club and get substantial discounts on the published prices. (We would have saved over £100 on our April booking against booking direct. When that booking was cancelled we received a cash refund from the CCC within days whereas some are still fighting to get their money back). One advantage of Jersey of course, is that you don't have to have a valid passport, even though they're not part of the UK, or the EU come to that. Never have been.
 
Normally our booking routine is to go on website for Condor Ferries, which has the monopoly for ferries to Jersey from the UK and France and trades heavily on it, with significant under-investment over the years and the problems Martin's already found. It's allegedly now part of Brittany Ferries, but no evidence of it yet. Old ferries, frequent breakdowns, etc.
However, with no alternative for us, we would identify days and crossings which appeared to give the best combination of price and convenience, then ring the CCC (CMC don't do the Channel Islands), usually get a quote substantially cheaper, and book the campsite through them - could all be done in an hour.
 
Unfortunately the CCC Foreign Travel staff are all furloughed and can't take any foreign campsite bookings at present. They direct you to the website to book ferries, but that doesn't seem to work at the moment. (I have emailed them to ask if someone could book the ferries on our Behalf. Condor won't just give us the discount on the basis that as CCC members we would have been given that discount - I tried that one).
 
I was therefore forced to fall back on direct booking everything. The email below shows the response from he CCC-affiliiated site. I also contacted Rozel, the other large campsite and was told there were no vacancies before September 1st. There is another alternative kind of site called Daisy Cottage, which offers all sorts of alternative therapies and other things. They haven't even replied yet. There is also some official camping which has recently become available at the Durrell Zoo (probably spare cages as the endangered species die out). I haven't looked into that.
 
However, the saving grace is that a motorhoming couple called Dave and Carolyn Huelin, who travel extensively in France, used a piece of their land to set up what is effectively a cross between an aire and a CL, about five years ago.

 
 
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 8:43 PM
From: beuvelande@...
To: derek.sims@...
Subject: RE: Customer enquiry - D Sims
Good Evening

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we only have pitch availability mid-week untill September.

On a side note please see below advice for clients from overseas wishing to visit us in Jersey this season.

Due to Covid-19 and the opening of Jersey Borders, we as a business have had to revise our policies.

We would require proof of a negative test result from an on Island PCR Test re COVID-19 from anyone who comes to the campsite from off Island. You would be asked to provide evidence of a negative result on your arrival at the campsite at the point of check in.

That would mean that you wouldn’t be able to arrive on Island and come straight to the campsite irrespective of whether you are staying in our of our hired units or with your own camping vehicle or equipment. At present there is wait time for results of 12 to as much as 72 hours! Other arrangements would need to be made for the first couple of nights.

The reason the business owners have had to make this decision is in light of the amount of communal facilities which the campsite has available to guests.

If you would still like to proceed with an enquiry or indeed to make a booking please call the office to confirm the details and make a payment to finalise the booking.

We are experiencing a very high volume of calls and emails at present please do bear with us if you don’t get through on the phones straight away.

The office is open Monday to Friday 9am till 3pm we would be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks and kind regards
Aimée Leaman-Gonçalves
Beuvelande Campsite
Rue de Beuvelande
St Martin
Jersey
Channel Islands
JE3 6EZ

+44(0)1534 853575
info@...
www.beuvelandecampsite.com

Please note a non-refundable deposit is required to make any booking.
No reservation is confirmed until funds have been received by the campsite.

-----Original Message-----
From: Contact Form <beuvelande@...>
Sent: 29 July 2020 12:36
To: beuvelande@...
Subject: Customer enquiry - D Sims

From: D Sims <derek.sims@...>

Phone Number: 07709945579
Arrival Date: 14.8.20
Number of nights: 17
Adults: 2
Children:
Accommodation Type: Standard Pitch


Message Body:

Please could you confirm whether you have availability for the above nights. We are members of the Camping & Caravanning Club and had booked through them for a visit to our son & family in St Helier. Unfortunately the coronavirus put a stop to that and now the club office is not open for booking via them.

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Beuvelande Campsite (http://www.campingjersey.com)

 


Re: Jersey

David Scholes
 

Exactly, though doubt if I will ever go to Jersey again.

David


On 30 Jul 2020, at 07:54, Neill King &#92;(MH-List&#92;) <yahoo@...> wrote:



Always interested – even if no immediate plans!

 

 

Best regards

Neill   (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
--------------------------------------------------------------
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

 

 

 

From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bennett Family via groups.io
Sent: 30 July 2020 07:19
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Jersey

 

Derek,

 

Congratulations - on both counts!

 

Yes I’d be interested in the details. I tried to book something similar some years ago and failed! Although I think it was the Jersey -St Malo leg that was a problem - may have been weight/length/height of the Motorhome I had then. I must say I found the Condor online booking very difficult at that time. 

 

Please email me if you don’t think others will be interested.

 

Martin@...

 

Thanks

 

Martin



On 30 Jul 2020, at 00:35, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:



Yes, Martin. Looking forward to meeting our new granddaughter, born mid-March. First of the locked-up generation, only seen on Facetime. Can't wait! Poole-St. Helier 14th August then St Helier-St
Malo 31st August. Look out France, here come the Rostbiefs!
If you're intersted I can give you all the gory details. It was a hard-won fight.
Stay Sane
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 29/07/2020, 22:29 "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47@...> wrote:

Derek

Are you taking your van to Jersey?

 

Martin

 

On 29 Jul 2020, at 20:22, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:



No you're not! And parents these days have it made. They don't how lucky they are, but it's not very green is it? Or perhaps it is if Mum's a vegetarian!
I remember our boys had an unerring knack of keeping it in till the nappy came off then producing a fountain, which usually managed to land just outside the changing mat. The nappies Tish did always seemed to fit perfectly whereas mine were till you put them upright, when the nappy would drop a critical half inch, leaving a nice gap for everything to run out. Happy days - I don't think so and now they're even worse children at 40 - and I say that with good reason, having just had our eldest to stay.
What a grumpy old man! And what's it do with motorhoming? Absolutely nothing, but I needed to let off some steam, having taken all day to book a trip to Jersey in August, something which would have taken me 10 minutes if the CCC hadn't been furloughed. There we are, neatly back on topic.
Enjoy your meals!
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 29/07/2020, 19:16 Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

 

Am I right?

 

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

 

Carol

 

--

--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Jersey

Carol Weaver
 

Be interesting to know Derek please

Carol 

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 00:35, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:
Yes, Martin. Looking forward to meeting our new granddaughter, born mid-March. First of the locked-up generation, only seen on Facetime. Can't wait! Poole-St. Helier 14th August then St Helier-St
Malo 31st August. Look out France, here come the Rostbiefs!
If you're intersted I can give you all the gory details. It was a hard-won fight.
Stay Sane
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 29/07/2020, 22:29 "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Derek

Are you taking your van to Jersey?

Martin


On 29 Jul 2020, at 20:22, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:


No you're not! And parents these days have it made. They don't how lucky they are, but it's not very green is it? Or perhaps it is if Mum's a vegetarian!
I remember our boys had an unerring knack of keeping it in till the nappy came off then producing a fountain, which usually managed to land just outside the changing mat. The nappies Tish did always seemed to fit perfectly whereas mine were till you put them upright, when the nappy would drop a critical half inch, leaving a nice gap for everything to run out. Happy days - I don't think so and now they're even worse children at 40 - and I say that with good reason, having just had our eldest to stay.
What a grumpy old man! And what's it do with motorhoming? Absolutely nothing, but I needed to let off some steam, having taken all day to book a trip to Jersey in August, something which would have taken me 10 minutes if the CCC hadn't been furloughed. There we are, neatly back on topic.
Enjoy your meals!
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 29/07/2020, 19:16 Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

Am I right?

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

Carol

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Jersey

Neill King \(MH-List\)
 

Always interested – even if no immediate plans!

 

 

Best regards

Neill   (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
--------------------------------------------------------------
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

 

 

 

From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bennett Family via groups.io
Sent: 30 July 2020 07:19
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Jersey

 

Derek,

 

Congratulations - on both counts!

 

Yes I’d be interested in the details. I tried to book something similar some years ago and failed! Although I think it was the Jersey -St Malo leg that was a problem - may have been weight/length/height of the Motorhome I had then. I must say I found the Condor online booking very difficult at that time. 

 

Please email me if you don’t think others will be interested.

 

Martin@...

 

Thanks

 

Martin



On 30 Jul 2020, at 00:35, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:



Yes, Martin. Looking forward to meeting our new granddaughter, born mid-March. First of the locked-up generation, only seen on Facetime. Can't wait! Poole-St. Helier 14th August then St Helier-St
Malo 31st August. Look out France, here come the Rostbiefs!
If you're intersted I can give you all the gory details. It was a hard-won fight.
Stay Sane
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 29/07/2020, 22:29 "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47@...> wrote:

Derek

Are you taking your van to Jersey?

 

Martin

 

On 29 Jul 2020, at 20:22, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:



No you're not! And parents these days have it made. They don't how lucky they are, but it's not very green is it? Or perhaps it is if Mum's a vegetarian!
I remember our boys had an unerring knack of keeping it in till the nappy came off then producing a fountain, which usually managed to land just outside the changing mat. The nappies Tish did always seemed to fit perfectly whereas mine were till you put them upright, when the nappy would drop a critical half inch, leaving a nice gap for everything to run out. Happy days - I don't think so and now they're even worse children at 40 - and I say that with good reason, having just had our eldest to stay.
What a grumpy old man! And what's it do with motorhoming? Absolutely nothing, but I needed to let off some steam, having taken all day to book a trip to Jersey in August, something which would have taken me 10 minutes if the CCC hadn't been furloughed. There we are, neatly back on topic.
Enjoy your meals!
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 29/07/2020, 19:16 Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:

As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

 

Am I right?

 

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

 

Carol

 

--

--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Jersey

Bennett Family
 

Derek,

Congratulations - on both counts!

Yes I’d be interested in the details. I tried to book something similar some years ago and failed! Although I think it was the Jersey -St Malo leg that was a problem - may have been weight/length/height of the Motorhome I had then. I must say I found the Condor online booking very difficult at that time. 

Please email me if you don’t think others will be interested.

Martin@...

Thanks

Martin


On 30 Jul 2020, at 00:35, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:


Yes, Martin. Looking forward to meeting our new granddaughter, born mid-March. First of the locked-up generation, only seen on Facetime. Can't wait! Poole-St. Helier 14th August then St Helier-St
Malo 31st August. Look out France, here come the Rostbiefs!
If you're intersted I can give you all the gory details. It was a hard-won fight.
Stay Sane
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 29/07/2020, 22:29 "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47@...> wrote:
Derek

Are you taking your van to Jersey?

Martin


On 29 Jul 2020, at 20:22, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:


No you're not! And parents these days have it made. They don't how lucky they are, but it's not very green is it? Or perhaps it is if Mum's a vegetarian!
I remember our boys had an unerring knack of keeping it in till the nappy came off then producing a fountain, which usually managed to land just outside the changing mat. The nappies Tish did always seemed to fit perfectly whereas mine were till you put them upright, when the nappy would drop a critical half inch, leaving a nice gap for everything to run out. Happy days - I don't think so and now they're even worse children at 40 - and I say that with good reason, having just had our eldest to stay.
What a grumpy old man! And what's it do with motorhoming? Absolutely nothing, but I needed to let off some steam, having taken all day to book a trip to Jersey in August, something which would have taken me 10 minutes if the CCC hadn't been furloughed. There we are, neatly back on topic.
Enjoy your meals!
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 29/07/2020, 19:16 Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

Am I right?

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

Carol

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Jersey

Derek Sims
 

Yes, Martin. Looking forward to meeting our new granddaughter, born mid-March. First of the locked-up generation, only seen on Facetime. Can't wait! Poole-St. Helier 14th August then St Helier-St
Malo 31st August. Look out France, here come the Rostbiefs!
If you're intersted I can give you all the gory details. It was a hard-won fight.
Stay Sane
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 29/07/2020, 22:29 "Bennett Family via groups.io" <martin.bennett47@...> wrote:
Derek

Are you taking your van to Jersey?

Martin


On 29 Jul 2020, at 20:22, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:


No you're not! And parents these days have it made. They don't how lucky they are, but it's not very green is it? Or perhaps it is if Mum's a vegetarian!
I remember our boys had an unerring knack of keeping it in till the nappy came off then producing a fountain, which usually managed to land just outside the changing mat. The nappies Tish did always seemed to fit perfectly whereas mine were till you put them upright, when the nappy would drop a critical half inch, leaving a nice gap for everything to run out. Happy days - I don't think so and now they're even worse children at 40 - and I say that with good reason, having just had our eldest to stay.
What a grumpy old man! And what's it do with motorhoming? Absolutely nothing, but I needed to let off some steam, having taken all day to book a trip to Jersey in August, something which would have taken me 10 minutes if the CCC hadn't been furloughed. There we are, neatly back on topic.
Enjoy your meals!
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 29/07/2020, 19:16 Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

Am I right?

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

Carol

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Jersey

Bennett Family
 

Derek

Are you taking your van to Jersey?

Martin


On 29 Jul 2020, at 20:22, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:


No you're not! And parents these days have it made. They don't how lucky they are, but it's not very green is it? Or perhaps it is if Mum's a vegetarian!
I remember our boys had an unerring knack of keeping it in till the nappy came off then producing a fountain, which usually managed to land just outside the changing mat. The nappies Tish did always seemed to fit perfectly whereas mine were till you put them upright, when the nappy would drop a critical half inch, leaving a nice gap for everything to run out. Happy days - I don't think so and now they're even worse children at 40 - and I say that with good reason, having just had our eldest to stay.
What a grumpy old man! And what's it do with motorhoming? Absolutely nothing, but I needed to let off some steam, having taken all day to book a trip to Jersey in August, something which would have taken me 10 minutes if the CCC hadn't been furloughed. There we are, neatly back on topic.
Enjoy your meals!
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 29/07/2020, 19:16 Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

Am I right?

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

Carol

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Loos

timsinc Sinclair
 

Carol, my nappy-changing fatherhood days well past me, thank goodness.
And I've no desire to revisit them.

As for £.s.d, I'm happy to pay for equivalent of nappysan (or whatever
it was called) rather than all these SOG vents, extra fans and
paraphenalia. Just the cost of life on the move. Never had smells in
the van, no visitors rapidly departing with noses wrinkled. So for me,
it's SOG off !!

Campervan Tim

On 29/07/2020, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of
you ever changed babies nappies? Honestly it’s what it is just dump it
rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did
it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before
we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took
mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it. I will occasionally
do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never
used to doing dirty nappies

Am I right?

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it
yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every
year.

Carol

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link;
https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4



--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*


Re: Loos

Derek Sims
 

No you're not! And parents these days have it made. They don't how lucky they are, but it's not very green is it? Or perhaps it is if Mum's a vegetarian!
I remember our boys had an unerring knack of keeping it in till the nappy came off then producing a fountain, which usually managed to land just outside the changing mat. The nappies Tish did always seemed to fit perfectly whereas mine were till you put them upright, when the nappy would drop a critical half inch, leaving a nice gap for everything to run out. Happy days - I don't think so and now they're even worse children at 40 - and I say that with good reason, having just had our eldest to stay.
What a grumpy old man! And what's it do with motorhoming? Absolutely nothing, but I needed to let off some steam, having taken all day to book a trip to Jersey in August, something which would have taken me 10 minutes if the CCC hadn't been furloughed. There we are, neatly back on topic.
Enjoy your meals!
Derek

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 29/07/2020, 19:16 Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:
As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

Am I right?

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

Carol

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Loos

Sandytrax
 

It seems to be a man’s job!
Here in Greece the disposal point is behind the men’s facilities. We joked about it with the Greek receptionist.

I don’t have any problems with smell (and I’ve changed nappies). I hate carrying the bloody thing and so try to empty when moving the van. 

I also wonder why on some Aires they place the emptying and fresh water together! Especially in those borne type units. In my book, hoses for cassette washing and fresh water should be totally separated. 

On the question of male/female roles, I’m always entertained to watch who does what when vans arrive. Men - awning & chairs and satellite dish. Women generally clean something. Must date back to caveman times!

Happy dumping!
Brian

On 29 Jul 2020, at 21:16, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:


As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

Am I right?

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

Carol

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Loos

Carol Weaver
 

As Alan said a small use of fan before emptying works wonders. Have none of you ever changed babies nappies?  Honestly it’s what it is just dump it rinse once or twice with a swish around and leave. Initially I always did it for that reason. Duncan used to help carry it - full bench type - before we had wheels or some way to carry it - but guys at the dump always took mikky out of him and in the end he started to do it.  I will occasionally do it but I’m certain the reason men complain so loudly is they were never used to doing dirty nappies

Am I right?

A SOG might cost money but it is possible if you are competent to do it yourself and it pays for itself easily is you don’t swap your mh every year. 

Carol

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please and use this link; https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=190439df75498abb9996f599912e9539a8e2217307e3338783b7c846899424d4


Re: Hi All Can members please tell me what they put in their cassettes . I was advised by the list to put bio tablets from lidl but they dont sell them anymore Than kyou for your help.Lenvee

Alan Morris
 

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 06:07, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:

I’d be interested to know if anyone’s experimented with the amount of water they initially add to the cassette. We’ve long ignored Thetford’s 3l stipulation. We used to just put in 1l but found on sloping sites there was an initial turd-sticking risk. Now we’ve upped to 1.5l and that seems to work better - along with the “No pooping if the van is drooping” rule ;-)
After an empty, rinse and rinse routine (where possible), we never add water.

Then on Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 08:49, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

* The SOG - never tried but gather it's a way of keeping the van
smell-free. However, it's the worst part - cassette emptying - that
can have me gagging. No SOG at disposal point.
This can be a problem using a SOG as the smell can be stronger. A
simple solution is to run the fan for a few minutes, immediately
before going to the dump point, then the smell is minimal.

* £/€2 cleaning machines. Seen them but always wondered whether worth
it. Maybe once in a while as suggested.
Never seen one, but I would not bother as it's not needed. However
after a trip with a short time before the next use, we give a couple
more extra rinses. One a year it gets a normal kitchen cleaner once
over.

When we moved house, we found a one foot diameter cover to the
extension's drainage at the back of the house. It's two retaining
screws have been replaced with a handle that makes use easier. Better
than the bathroom loo used previously as it's outside.

Alan.


Re: Hi All Can members please tell me what they put in their cassettes . I was advised by the list to put bio tablets from lidl but they dont sell them anymore Than kyou for your help.Lenvee

Bennett Family
 

Tim “ The CMC have a clever way of restricting occupants.
Outside the separate ladies and men's showers/loos were small tubs
with 2/3 wrist bands in Milton fluid. None there, you had to queue. If
one there, you put it on before entering; take off, put back in tub on
exiting. So at most, only three/two inside at any one time.”
Variation at CMC Hatfield - bands issued on arrival. Two hooks outside toilets - hang band on hook when you go in. If both hooks have a band on then you have to wait for someone to come out.

Managed 2 nights there last week before being called back because one of our pharmacists tested positive and I had to cover his shift. This was our first venture away from home since COVID!!

Martin

On 29 Jul 2020, at 09:49, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

The CMC have a clever way of restricting occupants.
Outside the separate ladies and men's showers/loos were small tubs
with 2/3 wrist bands in Milton fluid. None there, you had to queue. If
one there, you put it on before entering; take off, put back in tub on
exiting. So at most, only three/two inside at any one time.


Re: Hi All Can members please tell me what they put in their cassettes . I was advised by the list to put bio tablets from lidl but they dont sell them anymore Than kyou for your help.Lenvee

timsinc Sinclair
 

Lavatories always hot topic among campers - overtaking even that on
sat-navs. Our nostrils obviously play a big part of our motorhome
experience.

And the discussion has been interesting with some meandering thoughts
- loved those about the old tv!
Perhaps it might be broadened to include our eating habits and what
causes our poos to smell in the first place. Apparently, I read that
with healthy diet there should be very little smell and the faeces not
hard or too soft.

Still, not perfect world, certainly since our love of curries. So our
solutions:

* The SOG - never tried but gather it's a way of keeping the van
smell-free. However, it's the worst part - cassette emptying - that
can have me gagging. No SOG at disposal point.

* £/€2 cleaning machines. Seen them but always wondered whether worth
it. Maybe once in a while as suggested.

* Bio detergent/tabs. Tried several times, disappointed. Maybe I have
a low gagging threshhold.

* Commercial fluids/sachets. What I use - either Thetford or Elsan.
This could end up as a Garmin/TomTom which is best debate. But both
seem equally effective to me.

* On site loo. If it's regularly deep-cleansed (in these Covid times)
I'll use that. The CMC have a clever way of restricting occupants.
Outside the separate ladies and men's showers/loos were small tubs
with 2/3 wrist bands in Milton fluid. None there, you had to queue. If
one there, you put it on before entering; take off, put back in tub on
exiting. So at most, only three/two inside at any one time.

Campervan Tim

On 29/07/2020, Brian Reay via groups.io <g8osn=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
We use the ‘blue’ sachets, whichever brand are available/ on offer etc. We
find them convenient and effective, although they aren’t usually asked to
cope with solids if you get my drift ;-).

I always give the cassette a good rinse after each emptying, pop in a
sachet, and perhaps half a litre of water.

We did try one of those fancy ‘automatic’ cassette empty/cleaning machines
some sites have. It seemed very effective. Not something I’d use every time
but, on this occasion, we were close to home and it was the last trip of the
season- plus we were curious. I think it cost either £1 or perhaps £2. I
think a sachet works out at about 50p. The process includes a ‘shot ‘ of
chemical for the next use.

Brian



--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*