Date   
Re: New topic Site closures

Brent
 

Hi Carol

If you are replying to me: Didn’t you get one or follow the news?

Yes we did receive the email but nothing from the wardens on site and two m/h's arriving and setting up after we received the email!!! We also "left" behind about 8 units on site that didn't move by 1pm when ALL vehicles should have left by 12

Ferry policy

Brent
 

Hi ALL Had a bit of strange experience on Monday. Arrived at ferry port couple of hours before our "booked" ferry but they let us board the next ferry (for which we were very grateful). So there we are sitting in m/h - normally have to leave vehicle - chugging along quite happily and have docked at our destination. Started vehicle ready to leave when one of the ferry staff beckons to open window, where have you come from and where are you going/live? - we live here mate, seeing you are in m/h have you just come from abroad? only if you count England as being abroad!!, where you questioned when reaching booking in station? no mate he just asked for our booking details!!

Just couldn't get my head round it as by the time he was asking the questions it would have been too late - but to be honest we were in m/h and didn't leave and only spoke to the very cold staff who were just wandering up and down the deck to keep warm

Strange old world 

Re: New topic Site closures

Carol Weaver
 

They sent me email saying all sites and CS were closing with immediate effect due to Government rules. No UNNECESSARY journeys.   So all campsites must close everywhere 

Didn’t you get one or follow the news?


Carol



On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 21:50, Brent <brentiow.c@...> wrote:
Hi ALL What are CCC playing at? We were at site Sunday on south coast when we got email to inform us all sites to close with immediate effect. Van next to us (booked for another 10 days) decided to pack and go as had long journey home but also informed us when he got home he wouldn't be able to put van in his storage as it was closed and he lived in block of 20 flats with no parking for m/h. No warden came to explain what was happening so we stayed as were off on Monday anyway. So as we are packing up this m/h with tow car attached pulled in and starts setting up on pitch, not meant to be able to arrive/pitch before 1pm and this was about 11am!!!! This also happened on the Sunday but was informed they were security.
When we left couple of mins before 12 there were probably about 8 units still on site and we parked "up road" for an hour and nobody came out of site

So are CCC having a "rule for one but not all"?

Best wishes and happy isolating

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Re: New topic Site closures

Brent
 

Hi ALL What are CCC playing at? We were at site Sunday on south coast when we got email to inform us all sites to close with immediate effect. Van next to us (booked for another 10 days) decided to pack and go as had long journey home but also informed us when he got home he wouldn't be able to put van in his storage as it was closed and he lived in block of 20 flats with no parking for m/h. No warden came to explain what was happening so we stayed as were off on Monday anyway. So as we are packing up this m/h with tow car attached pulled in and starts setting up on pitch, not meant to be able to arrive/pitch before 1pm and this was about 11am!!!! This also happened on the Sunday but was informed they were security.
When we left couple of mins before 12 there were probably about 8 units still on site and we parked "up road" for an hour and nobody came out of site

So are CCC having a "rule for one but not all"?

Best wishes and happy isolating

Re: New topic Site closures

Carol Weaver
 

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 10:02, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:
I went back into the list to check that the erroneous posts had been deleted but I could still see them.

In the circumstances I have deleted the whole of that topic and that appears to have worked.

I have started this new topic if people want to comment on site closures.

Please do not accept as gospel any health information you receive over any social media even if from a trusted source or if it seems plausible. If you need advice please look the NHS website, contact 111 on the phone or your GP.

Thanks.

Peter S
Moderator.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

New topic Site closures

Peter S
 

I went back into the list to check that the erroneous posts had been deleted but I could still see them.

In the circumstances I have deleted the whole of that topic and that appears to have worked.

I have started this new topic if people want to comment on site closures.

Please do not accept as gospel any health information you receive over any social media even if from a trusted source or if it seems plausible. If you need advice please look the NHS website, contact 111 on the phone or your GP.

Thanks.

Peter S
Moderator.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

M Stevenson
 

Hi folks,

eg. My brother in law from NZ bought a van last year which is in storage, intending to visit Ireland and the Scottish Highlands this May.
He has now resigned himself to the fact that this is now unlikely to go ahead and will lose all the monies that have been paid. Travel insurance companies have basically abrogated all responsibilities and won't pay a bean.
His new motorhome will not turn a wheel for two years.

We have just run the gauntlet home via Singapore on three consecutive flights from a rural area of NZ.
We changed the flights at great expense to minimise ground time.
Arguably, we'd have been much safer in NZ, but at times like this HOME is where we ought to be.
Judging by the fellow passengers on the flight to the UK, they were all elderly UK folks returning from families down under.
Not a tourist in sight. Basically, it was a case of get home whilst you still can and flights are economically grounded. Manchester will be closing terminals 2&3 completely. There was a general air of returning into the unknown.

We shall self isolate for at least fourteen days.

We all seem concerned with avoiding getting infected ourselves. However we should be looking at this the other way round.
We should all consider ourselves to be already infected, and consequently 'what should we be doing to prevent spreading it'.
For me, Medical School may be a distant memory but hunkering down at home for the duration is morally the right thing to do for the common good.
I'll not elaborate this point, but from now on this all about numbers.

Our van will remain SORNed until this is over.
Those folks full timing in their vans are in a difficult position as more and more communities seek to keep outsiders away. Best of luck.

Cheers
Max

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

Carol Weaver
 

Tbh I’m surprised at the attitude on her most of all

I feel sorry for all those that have just picked up their new or new to them vehicles. 

C

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 22:32, phipps_paul via Groups.Io <phipps_paul=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Yes Carol. We are resigned to thinking that as well. We may get the chance another year but only if this country can be proactive, and learn from what’s happened in other countries. Today’s events do not as yet fill me with optimism! 


On 21 Mar 2020, at 22:03, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:


Sadly it is all areas now warning about it. I don’t think it will belong before all campsites are closed. Except residential parks.  

It is not time for a holiday. It really isn’t

I am resigned sadly to the thought that we may not get away at all this year in the Motorhome. 

The problem perhaps is for the many, like you Tim, who gave up your home to travel full time. What to do now. 

Do you have a family drive that you can stop on or probably a few of them so no one gets fed up with the blue machine?

You are ok where you are AS LONG AS the local police don’t decide you HAVE to leave. 

Carol



On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 21:54, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Just read:
Scotland's Rural Economy and Tourism Secretary Fergus Ewing has said
he is "furious" at the "reckless and irresponsible behaviour" of
people travelling to the Scottish Highlands and Islands. His comments
come after reports of people in campervans trying to find solace from
outbreaks elsewhere across the UK.

Campervan Tim - in Spain



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

phipps_paul
 

Yes Carol. We are resigned to thinking that as well. We may get the chance another year but only if this country can be proactive, and learn from what’s happened in other countries. Today’s events do not as yet fill me with optimism! 


On 21 Mar 2020, at 22:03, Carol Weaver <corconx@...> wrote:


Sadly it is all areas now warning about it. I don’t think it will belong before all campsites are closed. Except residential parks.  

It is not time for a holiday. It really isn’t

I am resigned sadly to the thought that we may not get away at all this year in the Motorhome. 

The problem perhaps is for the many, like you Tim, who gave up your home to travel full time. What to do now. 

Do you have a family drive that you can stop on or probably a few of them so no one gets fed up with the blue machine?

You are ok where you are AS LONG AS the local police don’t decide you HAVE to leave. 

Carol



On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 21:54, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Just read:
Scotland's Rural Economy and Tourism Secretary Fergus Ewing has said
he is "furious" at the "reckless and irresponsible behaviour" of
people travelling to the Scottish Highlands and Islands. His comments
come after reports of people in campervans trying to find solace from
outbreaks elsewhere across the UK.

Campervan Tim - in Spain



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

phipps_paul
 

Yes. Up to this point a spot of ‘wild’ camping in Scotland was tolerated. English by-laws are different and do not thole the idea generally. However there has been an ever growing groundswell of opinion over time that this should be changed and things bought into line with England. This latest chapter is hastening that rapidly I fear. As usual the selfish actions of the few will spoil it for the majority.

On 21 Mar 2020, at 21:54, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Just read:
Scotland's Rural Economy and Tourism Secretary Fergus Ewing has said
he is "furious" at the "reckless and irresponsible behaviour" of
people travelling to the Scottish Highlands and Islands. His comments
come after reports of people in campervans trying to find solace from
outbreaks elsewhere across the UK.

Campervan Tim - in Spain


Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

Carol Weaver
 

Sadly it is all areas now warning about it. I don’t think it will belong before all campsites are closed. Except residential parks.  

It is not time for a holiday. It really isn’t

I am resigned sadly to the thought that we may not get away at all this year in the Motorhome. 

The problem perhaps is for the many, like you Tim, who gave up your home to travel full time. What to do now. 

Do you have a family drive that you can stop on or probably a few of them so no one gets fed up with the blue machine?

You are ok where you are AS LONG AS the local police don’t decide you HAVE to leave. 

Carol



On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 21:54, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Just read:
Scotland's Rural Economy and Tourism Secretary Fergus Ewing has said
he is "furious" at the "reckless and irresponsible behaviour" of
people travelling to the Scottish Highlands and Islands. His comments
come after reports of people in campervans trying to find solace from
outbreaks elsewhere across the UK.

Campervan Tim - in Spain



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

timsinc Sinclair
 

Just read:
Scotland's Rural Economy and Tourism Secretary Fergus Ewing has said
he is "furious" at the "reckless and irresponsible behaviour" of
people travelling to the Scottish Highlands and Islands. His comments
come after reports of people in campervans trying to find solace from
outbreaks elsewhere across the UK.

Campervan Tim - in Spain

Forestry Commission Fort William

phipps_paul
 

30 plus motorhomes sent packing from forestry commission sites in Fort William area tonight according Ian Blackford MP for Skye and Lochaber. Total irresponsibility and selfishness. Stay home. Stay away. Self Isolate. It’s really very simple.

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

David Scholes
 

Yes, so do I. Thanks Martin.

I also think that I still have some common sense so also thank you Andy.

Meanwhile my tax on the van is about to expire so as I have no great desire to go anywhere soon, I have today declared SORN.

Now, tomorrow, we have decided that we shall go and look round our local graveyard. That should be a bundle of fun.

David

On 21 Mar 2020, at 16:44, Richard <edelec@...> wrote:

I still have a sense of humour, thanks Martin
Richard

On 20/03/2020 20:44, Bennett Family wrote:
Just to clarify - the picture of the plan of a house was intended as a
joke, implying the decision would be around which room we might
inhabit - although we could opt for a weekend in the MH which’s parked
on our drive. We might even tour to the top of our lawn towing the car
(another humorous comment).
Martin
On 20 Mar 2020, at 19:55, Sandytrax via Groups.Io
<brianinspain12=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think the action required is the same:
If your van is your home- stay at home
If your van is not your home - stay at home
Protect yourself and others
Cheers!
Brian
On 20 Mar 2020, at 18:51, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Very easy advice from the couch. If you already happen to be far awide
from home?
That's me, Campervan Tim
On 20/03/2020, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
Jesus, you guys don’t get it!
Stay Home!

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

Richard
 

I still have a sense of humour, thanks Martin
Richard

On 20/03/2020 20:44, Bennett Family wrote:
Just to clarify - the picture of the plan of a house was intended as a
joke, implying the decision would be around which room we might
inhabit - although we could opt for a weekend in the MH which’s parked
on our drive. We might even tour to the top of our lawn towing the car
(another humorous comment).



Martin


On 20 Mar 2020, at 19:55, Sandytrax via Groups.Io
<brianinspain12=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I   think  the action required is the same:
If your van is your home- stay at home
If your van is not your home - stay at home

Protect yourself and others

Cheers!
Brian

On 20 Mar 2020, at 18:51, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:

Very easy advice from the couch. If you already happen to be far awide
from home?

That's me, Campervan Tim

On 20/03/2020, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...> wrote:
Jesus, you guys don’t get it!

Stay Home!

No contact with others in a motorhome? Fuel, waste, water etc.etc.

Stay home!

Lots of acrimonious moments on FB and I don’t want to add to those.

Just stay home, your Mum and Dad or someone else’s is at risk!

In Greece they have far less cases than here, but they have closed
all bars,
restaurants, hotels, campsites etc.
Why not here?

Surely you can paint the house or something?

Best wishes
Brian

On 20 Mar 2020, at 17:47, Bennett Family <martin@...>
wrote:


Sounds sensible to me. Only potential problem is if the driver is
infected
& too ill to drive so really need 2 drivers and I’d opt for
staying within
4 or 5 hours drive of home.

Martin

On 20 Mar 2020, at 17:36, Andy Clarke via Groups.Io
<andyclarke1050=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:


I think the advice to stay at home is to avoid unnecessary
contact with
others, personally I don't see a problem with going away in the
camper
for a few days as long as we're completely self sufficient and
don't have
contact with anyone else. We keep our van stocked with a couple
of days
worth of essentials anyway, the fuel and LPG tanks are full, we don't
generally use campsites so we'd be as isolated as we would be at
home.

Andy

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 17:17, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...
<mailto:brianinspain12@...>> wrote:
Well that looks like home to me. And that’s where everyone should
STAY!

What part of STAY AT HOME do people not understand?

I had to postpone my trip around Greece and flew back to Bristol from
Athens yesterday.
I’ve left my van at Athens airport until who knows when.

Everything in Greece is closed or closing.
So it should be here.

Wake up folks!
This IS a crisis!
And it WILL get worse.

Enjoy staying at home
Regards
Brian





--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*



Attachments:

* image0.jpeg <https://groups.io/g/motorhome-list/attachment/101001/0>

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

Carol Weaver
 

Tim. I suppose you could rent somewhere with a drive for six months 

Carol 

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 10:55, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
Fine advice for those that have got a home .....other than their van.
Still I guess that's few of you. Dilemma for me and two other vans
pitched here thousands of miles away from panic shoppers of the UK.

Suppose the old slogan Keep Calm and Carry on no longer applies.

Tim

On 21/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:
> The solution to these concerns could be quite simple: Advice from the NHS in
> holiday areas: "If you get Corvid 19 symptoms here, but are not resident in
> the area,  you will not be treated here and will have to return home for
> treatment". That might focus a few minds.
>
> Derek
>
>
> Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 10:18 AM
> From: "Trevor Mace" <trevor@...>
> To: motorhome-list@groups.io
> Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Where should we go for the weekend?
>
> Mick,
>
> We live in Devon and much we would love to see you in normal times, not at
> present, thank you.  If you get sick whilst you are here you will place an
> extra burden on our system. Stay at home.
>
> I am 75 and suffer from Asthma attacks - my nearest hospital is 26 miles
> away.
>
> We planned to be on the NC500 next month. We will stay at home.
>
> Trevor
>
> On 20/03/2020 23:03, Mick Potter wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Andy, going away in the 'van involves no more contact with
>> anyone else than staying at home. And it's contact that is important, not
>> staying in one place.
>>
>> We had planned to go to Spain for Semana Santa, but that's obviously not
>> on: maybe we'll go to the West Country, or Suffolk, or Scotland for a week
>> or two. We're self - contained, so no danger to us or anyone else.
>>
>> Think about why you're doing things and use some common sense; don't just
>> repeat politicians' slogans.
>>
>> Mick
>>
>
>


--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*



--
--
Carol WeaverAires photos here|. www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

Trevor Mace
 

My comments were not directed at those trapped away from home. I have been following their experiences on the 'Fun' forum and I am very sympathetic to their plight. My hope was to dissuade people at home thinking of spreading out to quieter parts of the UK.

Trevor

On 21/03/2020 10:55, timsinc Sinclair wrote:
Fine advice for those that have got a home .....other than their van.
Still I guess that's few of you. Dilemma for me and two other vans
pitched here thousands of miles away from panic shoppers of the UK.

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

timsinc Sinclair
 

Fine advice for those that have got a home .....other than their van.
Still I guess that's few of you. Dilemma for me and two other vans
pitched here thousands of miles away from panic shoppers of the UK.

Suppose the old slogan Keep Calm and Carry on no longer applies.

Tim

On 21/03/2020, Derek Sims <derek.sims@...> wrote:
The solution to these concerns could be quite simple: Advice from the NHS in
holiday areas: "If you get Corvid 19 symptoms here, but are not resident in
the area, you will not be treated here and will have to return home for
treatment". That might focus a few minds.

Derek


Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 10:18 AM
From: "Trevor Mace" <trevor@...>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Where should we go for the weekend?

Mick,

We live in Devon and much we would love to see you in normal times, not at
present, thank you. If you get sick whilst you are here you will place an
extra burden on our system. Stay at home.

I am 75 and suffer from Asthma attacks - my nearest hospital is 26 miles
away.

We planned to be on the NC500 next month. We will stay at home.

Trevor

On 20/03/2020 23:03, Mick Potter wrote:

I agree with Andy, going away in the 'van involves no more contact with
anyone else than staying at home. And it's contact that is important, not
staying in one place.

We had planned to go to Spain for Semana Santa, but that's obviously not
on: maybe we'll go to the West Country, or Suffolk, or Scotland for a week
or two. We're self - contained, so no danger to us or anyone else.

Think about why you're doing things and use some common sense; don't just
repeat politicians' slogans.

Mick
--

*It'll all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end*

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

Derek Sims
 

The solution to these concerns could be quite simple: Advice from the NHS in holiday areas: "If you get Corvid 19 symptoms here, but are not resident in the area,  you will not be treated here and will have to return home for treatment". That might focus a few minds.
 
Derek

 
 
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 10:18 AM
From: "Trevor Mace" <trevor@...>
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Where should we go for the weekend?

Mick,

We live in Devon and much we would love to see you in normal times, not at present, thank you.  If you get sick whilst you are here you will place an extra burden on our system. Stay at home.

I am 75 and suffer from Asthma attacks - my nearest hospital is 26 miles away.

We planned to be on the NC500 next month. We will stay at home.

Trevor

On 20/03/2020 23:03, Mick Potter wrote:
I agree with Andy, going away in the 'van involves no more contact with anyone else than staying at home. And it's contact that is important, not staying in one place. 
 
We had planned to go to Spain for Semana Santa, but that's obviously not on: maybe we'll go to the West Country, or Suffolk, or Scotland for a week or two. We're self - contained, so no danger to us or anyone else.
 
Think about why you're doing things and use some common sense; don't just repeat politicians' slogans. 
 
Mick 
 

Re: Where should we go for the weekend?

Trevor Mace
 

Mick,

We live in Devon and much we would love to see you in normal times, not at present, thank you.  If you get sick whilst you are here you will place an extra burden on our system. Stay at home.

I am 75 and suffer from Asthma attacks - my nearest hospital is 26 miles away.

We planned to be on the NC500 next month. We will stay at home.

Trevor

On 20/03/2020 23:03, Mick Potter wrote:
I agree with Andy, going away in the 'van involves no more contact with anyone else than staying at home. And it's contact that is important, not staying in one place. 

We had planned to go to Spain for Semana Santa, but that's obviously not on: maybe we'll go to the West Country, or Suffolk, or Scotland for a week or two. We're self - contained, so no danger to us or anyone else.

Think about why you're doing things and use some common sense; don't just repeat politicians' slogans. 

Mick