Re: [MH-list] N10 /A63 between Bordeaux and Spanish border

theberties

We head for the Med coast, usually near Tavernas, just south of Valencia, to meet up with "old" friends then just trawl up and down the coast stopping off as and when we need a break. Never had a problem finding free camping places and always like to try a few new places every year

Bertie

On 4 Sep 2013, at 20:04, bertie bassett wrote:

Thanks for the replies. As TomTom is set to avoid tolls, when away for 3 months an extra couple of hours makes no difference, an alternative route which might be via Montrejeau and Uzerche which will bring us into Spain a bit higher north than usual or turn off N10 sooner and head towards Dax and through the Somport Tunnel

Bertie
It depends where in Spain you want to go. If you are heading west towards Santiago or the Portuguese border then probably paying the toll is the way to go. But if you are going south through mid Spain then crossing via St. Jean Pied de Port (horrible aire like big car park) and the pass of Roncevalle (very woody going up, lovely going down to Pamplona) could be cheaper, or if you are going to the med then going via Oleron (nice aire) would probably be best.

Unless you have new maps it is unlikely that TomTom will know about the tolls to avoid them. But I had it set to avoid tolls once and it routed me via Roncevalle to avoid the border crossing which only cost about 5 euros and I was going very west to Bilbao. It really is a pity that TT doesn't have an 'avoid expensive tolls but not cheap ones' setting.

David