Re: [MH-list] France in Winter

Simon Whitehead

I carry a small bilge pump incase we need to fill up from troughs. These days animals don't use them and sometimes the water flows continuously...

s.whitehead@iee.org

Simon Whitehead
4 Colleton Crescent
Exeter
EX2 4DG
T 01392 217873
M 07970 789886

On 31 Oct 2012, at 20:36, "Harry Ridsdale" <harryrids@yahoo.com> wrote:

Arm yourself with a set of tap keys, as many different pipe to hose adapters as you can find and a pair of manhole lifting rings (there are stopcocks in manholes often, you will learn to recognise them in time and those are most unlikely to be frozen). Don’t forget to put things back as you found them. The cemetery one is good too. On the Spanish coast a 500cl PET water bottle with the bottom cut off will fit over the beach shower heads and give you a stream from the top good enough to fill up from. I have some of those 15L collapsible water bottles one of the tops of which is fitted with a hose adapter and I can then fill the tank from them. I have a hook from which I can hang the bottle while it empties to save the arms.

On the ordinary “A” roads there is usually a good supply of picnic areas. We overnight in those though others give us dire stories of mayhem (usually third hand, a friend of a friend) but we have never had a problem in 7 years of wild camping.

Have a good trip.

Harry (R)