The picture is not so good with the boat as this is left with various systems on standby and I have no solar panel (yet!) so I need the battery to be more compliant to my carelessness! The AGM looks like a better bet and if chosen carefully, will only cost a few pounds more.

I like the idea of a flooded battery and as already indicated, works well in the MH. The trouble is I don't have the boat set up as well so I don't look after the battery as well. AGM batteries are much more forgiving.

s.whitehead@iee.org

On 29 Sep 2011, at 01:26, "Tom Pen" <tom@qcast.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Simon,
On a boat I assume one can have a few batteries without weight restrictions,
so provided they are in all connected together the load on them for starting
will be small.
I guess the heavier the battery the longer it will last !
My van engine starts in about a second, not like the old petrol engines that
needed to pump petrol through for a few revs before starting.

Tom Pen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Whitehead, Simon" <s.whitehead@colleton.org>
To: <motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:01 PM
Subject: Re: [MH-list] Leisure batteries

You can get an Elecsol of around £105 which might be better value than an
open cell. I am moving toward the AGM type as they are often cranking as
well as deep discharge batteries. I also like the fact that they can be
punished more often without damage. Others on this site have had good
experience of the Elecsol product (as well as some bad). I am also
thinking of my sailing boat for this.
Obviously, I am hoping to elicit a reaction...

s.whitehead@iee.org

On 27 Sep 2011, at 13:19, "geoffsgroups@orange.net"
<geoffsgroups@orange.net> wrote:

Hi all
I hesitate to revive this subject again, but, what the heck!

My leisure battery, of unknown previous history, has just died and I'd
just
like to get an idea on the general consensus of opinion as to whether a
replacement with removeable caps to top up the electrolyte is preferable
the sealed variety.

I'm leaning towards the opinion that it is, but would welcome your views
before I buy one and live to regret it (Well OK that's a bit
melodramatic!
prefer that I'd bought the other type, then :-))

My main consideration is cost, so I'm only looking at the budget end of
the
market and am already aware, that to a great extent, one always get what
one
pays for.

So So 110Ah for less than £85 delivered is the spec, just whether vented
or
sealed.

Thanks in advance, and over to you.