Re: [MH-list] Yahoo tracking users

Alan Cocks

gillcolthart wrote:
This article was posted on on of my Yahoo decorative painting groups -
thought I'd pass it on - I have opted out
Gill Colthart
If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo.
The tracking of users is very important to big businesses and it leads to quite wide issues. I have been told that Internet Explorer, for example, has no way (even in its code interface) of blocking advertising - adverts getting through to your machine. When they get through, they can *do* things in the machine, one example is cookies.

If you do not mind seeing a longish video talk about such things, and being a bit frightened too, (as I was) have a look at utube:
see
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQiTzs8PQ4
Eben Moglen - IV Congrs Internet, dret i poltica (IV Internet Congress on Law and Politics)
This guy knows what he is talking about. If you can see it all, you will see just how close we are to actually loosing freedom of thought (not even speech.....)

Sleep well!
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user