Re: [MH-list] Yahoo tracking users

gillcolthart <paintedblooms@...>

sorry... new to this list so didn't realize it had been posted
before. Maybe it will help someone who, like me, wasn't aware of this
Gill Colthart

--- In motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk, Andy Clarke <andy@...> wrote:

gillcolthart wrote:
This article was posted on on of my Yahoo decorative painting
groups -
thought I'd pass it on - I have opted out

Gill Colthart

If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now
using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar
cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group
you
visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo.

Look at their updated privacy statement at
http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.htmlAbout half-way
down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link
that
says WEB BEACONS.Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page
that
opens, on the left find a box entitled "Opt-Out.". In that
section
find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link that will let
you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the opt-
out
button on the next page.Note that Yahoo's invasion of your
privacy -
and your ability to opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is
MACHINE specific. That means you will have to opt-out on every
computer (and browser) you use. Please forward this to your other
groups. You might complain, too, but I'm not sure if anyone is
listening. I remember when they signed al lusers up to get spam
and
we had to opt out of that a few years ago.

Related article:
http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm

Please send this to anyone or any group you would like.

This is a fairly common technique that is not specific to Yahoo,
many
advertising services use similar practices to track users. In fact
Yahoo
have been using it since 2005 (the date of the article referred to)
and
I seem to remember we've had a discussion about it previously.

You can opt out of several ad networks targeted advertising here:
http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp

Andy Clarke
--
www.ukmotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website