Re: [MH-list] Yahoo tracking users

Andy Clarke <andy@...>

gillcolthart wrote:
This article was posted on on of my Yahoo decorative painting groups -
thought I'd pass it on - I have opted out
Gill Colthart
If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated privacy statement at http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.htmlAbout half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link that says WEB BEACONS.Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left find a box entitled "Opt-Out.". In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the opt-out button on the next page.Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use. Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed al lusers up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years ago.
Related article: http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm
Please send this to anyone or any group you would like.
This is a fairly common technique that is not specific to Yahoo, many advertising services use similar practices to track users. In fact Yahoo have been using it since 2005 (the date of the article referred to) and I seem to remember we've had a discussion about it previously.

You can opt out of several ad networks targeted advertising here:
http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp

Andy Clarke
--
www.ukmotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website