From: alan c
To: motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: [MH-list] BIG PROBLEM WITH CONDENSATION IN LUTON ON HYMER CAMP SWING

Andy Clarke wrote:
> B WEBB wrote:
>> Happy New Year to you and everybody else on the list.
>>
>> With your problem tI am concerned that yur ventilation sounds to be
>> inadequate. Ventilation is vital and the first indication from that
>> amount of condensation is that you have too little. If you're waking
>> with any degree of a headache, less than a hangover but still that
>> heavy feeling, then you should look to increase your ventilation
>> before you do anything else. Beware of using the gas heater,
>> especially overnight if you have inadequate ventilation, two people
>> died while stopping overnight right in the centre of Cardiff within
>> about 100 yards of the main police station, THEY found the bodies, due
>> to fumes. Admittedly the gases used in camping heaters are heavier
>> than air and you are in the luton, but problems can still occur and in
>> your case especially for your dogs!
>>

> It seems to me that the only place ventilation is inadequate is around
> the mattress in the luton. This should be relatively easy to solve. As
> an experiment simply insert some slats of wood around the sides of the
> mattress to keep it away from the sides of the van, this will allow air
> to circulate and should reduce or eliminate condensation. It would also
> be a good idea to prop the mattress up during the day to help dissipate
> any moisture.

In our Hymer Camp Swing (circa 2004), the blown air heating has a
channel up past the sink unit and is vented in the the *under bed
layer* (!) We use the MH all year all weathers and have never seen
condensation under the bed, probably for this reason.

> There is no danger in using a properly maintained Truma heater
> overnight, air for combustion is drawn from outside the motorhome and
> the exhaust is also conducted to outside.

yes, as you say, the burner unit is completely sealed away from the
living space.

> Deaths such as those mentioned are almost always due to poorly
> maintained gas appliances being used, or using heaters or gas fridges
> that are not vented to outside.

If the gas hob or oven (if fitted) is used for heating then the well
designed in safety of the truma system is not used at all, and such
open flame heating from the cooking system is potentially lethal. I
would not want to use this (for heating) even if the roof skylight was
open.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391, Linux user #360648