Re: [MH-list] What choice of well-equipped 4WD campervan?

bernardblackmore

As Ern says 4WD not the complete answer, I drove into the field next door to
collect my hedgetrimings last week with a Nissan Navara HC which has wide
wheels in low 4WD with a Ifor Williams trailer on the back and guess what I
got stuck in a wet spot.
I went to the motorhome locker and out with the yellow plastic grip mats
jammed them in front of all four wheels and away we went.
I have a 7 meter A class on a Fiat and never use sites as I live in France
but this was the first time the grip mats had been used. Park sensible and
you will have very few problems, If I was to park on softish terrain I would
get her indoors to put the grip mats under the drive wheels before parking
for the night remembering to pin them to the ground through the hole
provided.

Kind regards to all

Bernard
Lestrevet Plage, Plomodiern 29550, Finistere, France.

2008/11/3 Ernest <ernb@supanet.com>

On 2/11/08 01:07, "Pet Human" <pethuman@gmail.com <pethuman%40gmail.com>>
wrote:

However, nearly all of these panel van conversions share a problem
common to the coachbuilts, in that they are front-wheel drive. Great on
the road, great for providing a low floor inside, but pretty useless in
slippery conditions. I have tried one, and it struggled on wet grass; a
friend camping in France in October watched several of them getting
stuck when they tried to move off flat grass pitches ... and since I
don't intend to make much use of campsites, that's no good for me.
I have a Sprinter coachbuilt with a permanent double bed, L shaped kitchen,
shower and a 2 seater dinette. I solo in it most of the time, and I have
wildcamped and used aires for over 5 years. I have only ever been stuck
once. At a car boot on Bath race course.

You do not mention any spending limits or budgets, but if you have one, a
4WD is going to make a hell of a dent in it and significantly restrict the
range of suitable vans. For what? As insurance against a 1 in 1,000 chance
of being stuck in the mud, when it could go to providing a few creature
comforts. Believe you me, you will need one or two on the long, cold nights
of winter. Here we are talking about 'sitting in a box' for maybe 16 hours.

Buy yourself a 2nd hand Tirfor from someone like this: -

http://tinyurl.com/5nmwlm

They are easy to use, and I am sure the vendor would show you how to
operate
one safely.

As to insulation, when I started looking, I was warned against British
vans,
which, generally speaking, are designed for summer use. There was one
incident reported in the MH press where two journalists nearly died of
hyperthermia in a well known British marque, while road testing it in the
Alps.

To end, I second Andy's advice and take a look at www.mobile.de.

Good luck.
Bristol

--
Bernard, Pamela and Bella Ti Kornog, Rte de Kergorz, Lestrevet Plage,
Plomdiern 29550, Finistere, France.