Re: [MH-list] What choice of well-equipped 4WD campervan?

Ernest <ernb@...>

On 2/11/08 01:07, "Pet Human" <pethuman@gmail.com> wrote:

However, nearly all of these panel van conversions share a problem
common to the coachbuilts, in that they are front-wheel drive. Great on
the road, great for providing a low floor inside, but pretty useless in
slippery conditions. I have tried one, and it struggled on wet grass; a
friend camping in France in October watched several of them getting
stuck when they tried to move off flat grass pitches ... and since I
don't intend to make much use of campsites, that's no good for me.
I have a Sprinter coachbuilt with a permanent double bed, L shaped kitchen,
shower and a 2 seater dinette. I solo in it most of the time, and I have
wildcamped and used aires for over 5 years. I have only ever been stuck
once. At a car boot on Bath race course.

You do not mention any spending limits or budgets, but if you have one, a
4WD is going to make a hell of a dent in it and significantly restrict the
range of suitable vans. For what? As insurance against a 1 in 1,000 chance
of being stuck in the mud, when it could go to providing a few creature
comforts. Believe you me, you will need one or two on the long, cold nights
of winter. Here we are talking about 'sitting in a box' for maybe 16 hours.

Buy yourself a 2nd hand Tirfor from someone like this: -

http://tinyurl.com/5nmwlm

They are easy to use, and I am sure the vendor would show you how to operate
one safely.

As to insulation, when I started looking, I was warned against British vans,
which, generally speaking, are designed for summer use. There was one
incident reported in the MH press where two journalists nearly died of
hyperthermia in a well known British marque, while road testing it in the
Alps.

To end, I second Andy's advice and take a look at www.mobile.de.

Good luck.
Bristol