Re: [MH-list] cruise control, is it worth it?

B WEBB <woodlake21rry@...>

Due to a serious fall I'm becoming very arthritic in the spine, hips
and knees so have been considering cruise control but was unsure about
urban driving which is where the disadvantage is at its worst. How
does the acceleration work from say traffic lights if you set the
control to 28-30? How about if the traffic is crawling do you set it
to lower speeds? I can see how knocking it out would work quite
quickly. Or do you accelerate to the desired speed whatever that may
be and then set it.

Cheers

Barry Webb

On 28 Oct 2008, at 17:33, Ernest wrote:

On 28/10/08 16:33, "Don Madge" <don.madge@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

With a bit of observation, anticipation and forward planning it
can be done.

I use cruise all the time, and that includes town driving. I can see
where
some would think that one is not properly in control, although how,
exactly,
is harder to pin down. I set cruise to 28 to 30 mph, and just go.
Touching
the brake or flicking the paddle stick down knocks it off
immediately, and
adjusting the speed to suit traffic flow takes no more thought or
effort
than using one's foot. It is simply another way to drive.

I realise some folk get their kicks out of pedalling their way about
town
like organists with St Vitus dance, but I am past all that. Like I
said, the
little black box works like a dream.
Bristol