MS Patch urgent

Brian Jones <opus08@...>

Sorry this is a long item but it just came into my inbox as part of a
regular mailing. I thougth it imporant enough to pass on, especailly
if you dont have automatic updates from MS

Perhaps another reason to get a Mac??

PATCH WATCH

Microsoft posts emergency defense for new attack

By Susan Bradley

A remote-code exploit that could spread rapidly like the 2003
MSBlaster worm is putting all versions of Windows at risk.

I recommend that you immediately install a patch that Microsoft has
just issued to protect your system from a vulnerability in the Server
service.

MS08-067 (958644)
Rare out-of-cycle patch emphasizes the risk

With little warning, Microsoft released yesterday an unscheduled or
"out-of-cycle" patch for a highly critical vulnerability that affects
all versions of Windows. Security bulletin MS08-067 (patch 958644)
was posted to warn of a remote-code attack that could spread wildly
across the Internet.

Microsoft says it found evidence two weeks ago of an RPC (remote
procedure call) attack that can potentially infect Windows machines
across the Net with no user action required.

Windows Server 2003, 2000, and XP (even with Service Pack 2 or 3
installed) are particularly vulnerable. Vista and Server 2008 gain
some protection via User Account Control, data-execution protection,
and other safeguards, as explained in an article by Dan Goodin in the
Register.

While firewalls are a first line of defense against this attack,
don't think you're secure just because you have a firewall. Malware
and viruses use many different techniques to wiggle their way into
our systems.

For example, my office's networks are protected by firewalls on the
outside, but inside the network, PCs have file and printer sharing
enabled. If a worm got loose inside the office network (and the patch
hadn't been installed), the attack would spread like wildfire.

Many antivirus vendors have already issued definition updates that
protect against this attack. Your antivirus program, however, may not
protect you completely even if your AV definitions are up-to-date.
Early reports indicate that there are already nine different strains
of viruses trying to take advantage of this vulnerability. We can
expect more to come, so even the best AV application may not be able
to update fast enough.

I've tested this patch and have had no problems applying it. I
strongly urge you to download and install this patch manually.
Restart your PC before installing any patch to verify that your
machine is bootable. Then be sure to reboot again after installing
the patch, so the patched binaries completely replace the vulnerable
components.

Microsoft has posted several versions of the patch that apply to
different operating systems:
---

Brian
THIS IS THE download site
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
familyid=0D5F9B6E-9265-44B9-A376-2067B73D6A03&displaylang=en