From: Elektrickydicky

Date: 21/10/2008 06:11:04

To: motorhome-list@yahoogroups.co.uk

Subject: Re: [MH-list] Never ending power struggle

[Default] On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:53:24 +0100, Andy Clarke

<andy@bm-services.co.uk> wrote:

On 20/10/2008 18:10, Elektrickydicky wrote:
[Default] On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:00:22 +0100, Is B
<musklebunny@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
thanks tricky, two of your suggestions gave us a good laugh at least!
And thanks for the reminder that we get back less than we put in, a good
point when factoring in our requirements, and your were right, an
electrician checked our "caravan mains charger unit "going into the leisure
batteries and its faulty so we are looking for a cheap second hand
replacement

I concur with Neil, DO NOT get a cheap charger. Get a "proper" charger
rated at about 40 or 50 amps. If you do not you are throwing money
away with fuel.
Where are you based?
I concur with Neill too...
I'm interested to hear that you suggest a 40 to 50A charger, I would
have thought 20 to 30A would be sufficient for 2 110Ah batteries?

The only reason I suggest 40 to 50A is the fact that they are using a

generator, which probably means that it will be used irregularly and

for relatively short periods of time. We should also consider the van

load at the time of charging. If lights are on, computers being

charged etc the amount going into the batteries is reduced. I still

feel 40A would be sensible. That's a 3 stage charger charging at 14.8v

in bulk and absorption. The generator supply means it would never get

to float. Obviously regular top ups are required at these charging

levels. If on a continuous landline then a 20 amp would probably be

adequate. I would bet a coke that their batteries are well sulphated

and really need a couple of days at 15 volts to give them half a

chance. Batteries in this type of environment do not last! Statements

like 11.9v worry me.

Richard