Travel Insurance.....did I here this correctly?

W3526602@...

Hi,

Not campervan related.....until it happens to you.

I had a phone call from my mate this lunchtime, he is on Crete. He should
have been home a few days ago, but his wife is in hospital with a heart
problem. It seems the hospital do not consider her fit enough to fly. "Are you
insured?" I ask him. "Yes, but.......!"

As I understand it, his insurers would do NOTHING until they has spoken to
her GP in UK. They have now spoken, and accept that they are going to pay.

Next problem is that (as he understands it) he has to pay up front, and
claim it back when he returns to UK.

What if he hasn't got any money? Tough!

What if he can't afford to stay in a hotel? Tough!

Is this really the way that travel insurance works? His insurers are a major
UK bank (or maybe their agents)and the travel insurance is part of a package
that he pays for each month.

Can anybody offer any comment?

602