Our trip to Spain

Trevor Mace

Thanks very much for Don's advice regarding a route down to the Costa del Sol. We took the Bilbao ferry and diverted to the Picos de Europas as we had last visited them in 1968! This meant we were off your line, so to speak, however we continued south, going via Salamanca, Merida and Seville. Found most sites un-prepared for the season, either dirty or no hot water, oh well Hey Ho. Total lack of 'Aires' or their equivalent.

Camping La Rosaleda at Conil de la Frontera was terrific! Free WiFi too! Thank you Don. We stayed there a couple of nights of luxury then onto Gibraltar and Malaga. Coming up the A44 north of Granada we kept being overtaken by a blue Belgian reg Transit going downhill and then re-taking him going up hill. Got to the point of waving to each other as we did so. Found a wild pitch by a reservoir just south of Madrid. Leave the A4 at Tembleque and take the CM410 signposted Mora. About 12 km form Tembleque turn left signposted Cristo del Valle follow this road to the reservoir dam. Turn off the road here and follow the track towards the reservoir. Fishermen visit here in quite large numbers and at all times of the day but we felt secure and the view when the sun went down was wonderful.

Next day we drove around Madrid using TomTom and the M40 and M50 and onto the A2 as we wanted to get the area around Carcassone when we got to France. Found another good wild spot outside Huesca where we were visited by a fox just as it was getting dark. He had a good look at us, circled around then left us to it. Leave the N240 just after Sietamo turning left (north) up to the village of Liesa. Just through the village we found where the road had been straightened there were bits of old road we could use.

Crossed the border on the N230 then spent a pleasant week around Carcassone, Narbonne and Foix. At an Aire near Mouthoumet we met the couple in a Belgian reg Transit again! They had been to Morocco. We were very green with envy! Drove back to Calais via the Dordogne and the Loire.

Some pictures here:
http://macet416.fotopages.com/

Trevor

--