Re: [MH-list] Ducato 2.8 Gross weight

Simon Whitehead

The Chassis should be fine.
The remaining issues are Brake sizes, Spring ratings and Tyres. I would expect you will find the brakes and springs are probably fine as well but what of your Wheels and Tyres?

The typical MH puts much more load on the rear than the front and the rear tyres could easily see as much as, say, 2.5 tonnes which means you will need tyres that can support at least 1250kg each, which corresponds to a load index of 116 (for singe wheel axles - rather than double wheel).
From the Continental Technical Data Book (which I have UpLoaded to our files area), It appears you can only get up to a LI of 115 with a 15 inch wheel and that is with 225/70 R15 C which would need a 6.5J wide wheel for that index. This is a near miss and may turn out to be acceptable.
If you have 16 inch wheels you will need at least 215/75 R16 C on a 6J wheel.
You can fit these tyres to a narrower wheel and I have done this in the past with great success. Although it isn't desirable, it is expedient and acceptable providing the wheel width is 'on the list' for that size. For example, the 215/75 R16 C can also be fitted to wheel widths down to 5.5J. This compromise can be a real life saver when it comes to the cost of the operation as a new set of wheels would usually make the whole thing prohibitively expensive.

The other issues relate to the revenue classification of the vehicle as going over 3.5 Tonnes puts it into a commercial class and it gets more expensive and more particular when it comes to tax and MOTs. Also there is the issue of your driving Licence, which will probably have legacy rights to heavier vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes (unless you took your test recently!) but these run out when you get to 70 and you have to have a medical every year after that. However, I doubt that your driving licence is an issue for you :-)

I am sorry if you knew all the stuff I have addressed but I hope its helpful...

Simon

On 18 Apr 2004, at 22:30, Rich wrote:

Does anyone know if I'm right in saying that the Ducato 2.8 maxi
chassis LWB, which is plated at 3.5 tonnes, is actually 3.85 tonnes?

If so, what are the pros and cons of having the paperwork reflect the
higher weight? Clearly, extra payload is the advantage - but what's
the downside?

Any help appreciated!!

Rich

Simon Whitehead