Re: [MH-list] Paloma Gas Boiler & shower

Simon Whitehead

On 6 Mar 2004, at 15:06, falseone20 wrote:

Hi
My Paloma Boiler fires up OK using the kitchen hot tap but not with
the shower room tap or shower head. There is a noticeable reduced
pump noise (and therefore flow)when the shower tap is opened alone
compared to the kitchen tap. So, I guess it is a pressure problem in
that there is insufficient pressure at inlet to fire up the boiler.
But why??? Anyone any ideas?
Thanx, Chris.
It sounds like it might be a back pressure problem. I do not know the boiler, but most instant demand boilers require a minimum water pressure to prevent boiling within the heat exchanger. If there is insufficient restriction on the output side there will be no back pressure and (if the boiler is reasonably modern) the pressure switch will not allow the boiler to fire.
If I am right about this, try restricting the flow at the output - partially open the tap. If the boiler fires, that would be an answer. If it doesn't, I still could be right but there might be a different issue as well.

Simon Whitehead
s.whitehead@iee.org