Re: EU Roaming Charges

Mick Potter

I thought that my experience might be of interest in this discussion.

I'm with TescoMobile, which uses the O2 network.

When we're at home, we use very little non-WiFi internet, but we go away for 6-8 weeks at a time to Europe in our 'van, a couple of times a year, and then our usage increases significantly.

When my last contract expired, I waited to see what the different networks did with regard to roaming charges.  I saw that O2 and Tesco were not charging for roaming, so I took out a two year contract, hoping that if things changed I would at least get free roaming until the end of the contract.

As I had occasionally had to buy extra data while travelling (and 'extra' data is always expensive), I went high: 30 GB for me, and 12 GB for my wife, on a 'family discount'.  Also, when I had taken out a previous contract, I was given a free 6 month trial for Tesco Plus - this gives 10% off two shops per month plus a few other discounts, and *double data* on one phone account.

The Tesco Plus now costs £7.99 per month, but it is not difficult to get two shops to total more than £80 in a month to recoup this, so it is effectively free (unless I'm out of the country for the whole month, which happens occasionally!).

So, for £20.50 per month we get 12GB plus 60GB, with free roaming in the 'Home from Home' countries.  I think this is pretty good value, especially if you use Tesco anyway.

HTH

Mick
Please make sure the only e-mail address you use for me is

mick.potter@....

Any others you may find are likely to be temporary, or to have been discontinued.
I should hate to miss anything you send me.  Thanks.

On Monday, 9 May 2022, 17:42:01 BST, pj_home via groups.io <paul.f.jackson@...> wrote:

Still got my good ol GPS unit for that very reason!

--
Regards

Paul