Re: Electric scooters

Peter S

"Above that standard there’s another: the speed pedelec, or S-pedelec. These bikes have a maximum assisted speed of 45km/h, and more powerful motors. They’re widely available from a range of manufacturers; Riese und Muller offer nearly all their bikes in a HS (High Speed ) build. And this is where it gets really complicated.

The adoption of the S-pedelec in Europe is on a state-by-state basis: there are no overarching EU regulations specifically for these bikes. Anything faster or more powerful than the EN15194 regulations allow technically needs to be type approved as a motor vehicle. There are two standards: L1e-A, for motors up to 1Kw and speeds up to 25km/h, and L1e-B, for motors up to 4Kw and speeds up to 45km/h. I did tell you it was complicated."

It looks to me from this and other sites that in the UK a bike that is capable of going over 25km/h (15mph) is  a motor vehicle and brings with it all the other complications - licence, insurance, road tax, helmet. It matters not that you are riding it at under 25kph.

Peter S

On 13/02/2021 11:39:56, David Scholes via groups.io <scholesd@...> wrote:

Hi

I believe that the throttle law only prohibits the sale of ebikes with throttles. When the ban started it was common for people to buy an ebike without a throttle and take it out of the shop and ride it for a few yards then take it back in to have a throttle fitted or fit it yourself.

There is a similar rule about the 15 mph max speed. Bosch make an ebike which is sold on which the motor continues to drive up to a speed of 40kph. It is sold perfectly legally but if ridden above 25kph it becomes illegal. It is made primarily for the German market where their licensing laws permit it (but not throttles). This is similar to their motorhome licence if which permits over 70s like me to drive motorhome over 3.5 tonnes without medical etc.

David

On 13 Feb 2021, at 11:21, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

When I bought my ebike, quite a few years ago, it was OK to have a throttle in the UK but not on the continent. The law has now changed but:-

"Harmonisation with EU law has had an important effect on electric bikes with ‘twist and go’ throttles that can take the bike to full speed without any pedalling at all.

From January 1 2016, the only throttles legal within the UK’s EAPC legislation are those that assist the rider without pedalling up to a maximum speed of 6 km/h (3.7 mph) – i.e. starting assistance only.

If the rider is rolling – but not pedalling – faster than 6km/h, the throttle cuts off. If the cyclist pedals at the same time then the throttle can still assist up to the general limit of 15.5mph.

If you bought an ebike with a full-speed throttle before January 1 2016, don’t panic: those sold prior to this date are still considered as EAPC and do not require a registration or taxed. Practically, you could still buy one a ‘twist and go’ and not be fined, but it would have to have been produced or imported before January 1 2016."

Peter S

On 13/02/2021 09:27:51, David Scholes via groups.io <scholesd@...> wrote:

Correction to spell checker

Sorry but escorted should read escooters.

On 13 Feb 2021, at 09:25, David Scholes via groups.io <scholesd@...> wrote:

Actually bicycles are subject to lots of regulations that escorted do not comply with eg must have pedals which work, cannot be sold with a throttle attached, lights, reflectors, brakes which cut off motor etc.

David

On 13 Feb 2021, at 08:32, Chris <chris_j_brooks@...> wrote:

Ern,

It is an interesting point, but provide they have 250w or less and limited top speed of 14mph then they would be just like electric bikes, which again don't need insurance or licenses.  However at least are on the road/cycle path and not going to run you down.

Yes, it is best if cyclists get insurance, but very few do as it goes against the view that cycling is a a cheap clean alternative.

Regards
Chris