Re: UK Passports

Bennett Family

Just Tim, I concluded the same and sent mine off yesterday despite still having 6 months (just) remaining.

Martin

On 19 Jan 2021, at 11:25, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

Divide cost of passport renewal by 10 years in months, each month
costs you about 60p.

I was happy to pay the £1.80 for 'lost' three months to ensure I
wouldn't be caught up in the inevitable delays when there's sudden
rush to renew passports post-Covid as everyone realises they can
travel abroad again.

TimS

On 18/01/2021, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 20:15, <charlie.green@outlook.com> wrote:

Current EU/UK Passport is OK for use provided it has more than 6 months
left on it. In other words you don't have to get a new one until your old
one runs out. Unless you want a Blue one in which case you can renew
anytime.
However beware of renewing too early.

Previously, if renewing within a certain period of time prior to
expiry (I now can't remember how long!), the new passport start was
similar to an MOT - you retained the same day and month of expiry.

Then without any announcement (i.e. by stealth) they changed their
rules. Now renewal is immediate, so one loses possibly 3 months.
Effectively increasing the cost of a passport, as it's life is reduced
from the 10 years.