Re: Amazon Kindle

David Scholes

Hi Don

I am on my third Kindle. First one had a keyboard. It died. The kindle man thought that I had sat on it but I denied it strenuously so they sent me another one without a keyboard.
Later I fancied one with a backlight so I bought a kindle whitelight 6 (or something like that).
I am still using it. It is a prized possession. As mentioned the battery doesn’t last as long, about 2 weeks. Everything else dies daily.

The comment about a sliver is correct.
Using your Kindle to read unlocked books is valid using Calibre to adjust the format and do the downloading. Legally you can download about 30,000 books from Gutenberg. They are all out of copyright. You won’t want most of them but that leaves a lot.

Story. When I first got my van I loaded it for my first trip. Went to a weigh bridge and found that I was about 20 kilos within the limit but I didn’t have my wife with me. Went back and emptied everything I could. Lots of water lots of tools and a whole pile of books. That was when I bought my first kindle.

David

On 29 Sep 2020, at 17:25, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@gmail.com> wrote:

Don,
Alan has covered it all. I'd just add that Madge's 700+ books will be
all in her library at Amazon and all or just a few can be downloaded
onto any new Kindle - or even a phone or tablet that has the Kindle
app.

In fact on my simple Kindle white (meaning has a backlight) I
deliberately delete books as the list grows so long and cumbersome. If
I want to re-read one from the past, I just download it again. No
cost, you've already paid for it.

Tim

On 29/09/2020, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 15:44, Don Madge <don.madge@gmail.com> wrote:

My Kindle is now 10 years old and like me is slowing down.
Like my wife!

I have the original Kindle with the keyboard but is not available any
more.
Like my wife's, with a keyboard.

I only use it for reading, i have 712 books on mine at present
She also has a large collection of books. She uses the built-in
reading aloud feature a lot, using the internal speaker.

In May I bought her a "Kindle Oasis | Now with adjustable warm light |
Waterproof, 32 GB, Wi-Fi | Graphite" and cover, "Kindle Oasis Leather
Cover, Black".

It now has a back-light, so the battery needs charging more often. No
k'brd but she can cope. But no built-in speaker. So I then bought
her a "Betron KBS08 Wireless Portable Travel Bluetooth Speaker
(Black)" - a bluetooth connection. Ideal for use in the kitchen, with
the Kindle in the living room.