Re: E-scooters from Saturday

David Scholes

But that is the problem, they don’t want to be treated as electric bikes, they are trying for the deal that electric bike owners wanted but didn’t get. The main problem with any bike is it’s size but you need that size to have all the bits that the law demands. Scooters have little braking ability, no pedals so there is little assist (and throttles are illegal on ebikes in Europe, but not in England), no bell or lights. Ebikes weigh about 25 kilos and all that weight is needed for safety. This despite that top bike riders exert far more power that an ordinary rider plus the 250 extra horse power from an ebike motor (hope my number is correct, memory problems).
I no longer carry my 2 ebikes on my motorhome because I found that I was permanently overloaded.

And to answer Peter’s question, they are making a meal out of it because if they get what they are after then some people are going to make a lot of money out of it (until people start getting killed and their relatives start suing the government for legalising them).

David

On 1 Jul 2020, at 10:10, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

They are really making a meal out of this. Why can't they be just treated in the same way as electric bikes?

The present treatment of electric scooters in law is ignored by a lot of owners already.

Peter S

On 01/07/2020 09:55:56, Mike via groups.io <mike.egff@...> wrote:

Looking at the consequences of the slight lifting of lock-down I’m sorry but this will only add to No Respect UK Plc.

Mike Kemp

Born Again Cynic by religion