Re: E-scooters from Saturday

David Scholes

But that is the problem, they don’t want to be treated as electric bikes, they are trying for the deal that electric bike owners wanted but didn’t get. The main problem with any bike is it’s size but you need that size to have all the bits that the law demands. Scooters have little braking ability, no pedals so there is little assist (and throttles are illegal on ebikes in Europe, but not in England), no bell or lights. Ebikes weigh about 25 kilos and all that weight is needed for safety. This despite that top bike riders exert far more power that an ordinary rider plus the 250 extra horse power from an ebike motor (hope my number is correct, memory problems).
I no longer carry my 2 ebikes on my motorhome because I found that I was permanently overloaded.

And to answer Peter’s question, they are making a meal out of it because if they get what they are after then some people are going to make a lot of money out of it (until people start getting killed and their relatives start suing the government for legalising them).

David

On 1 Jul 2020, at 10:10, Peter S <peter@...> wrote:

They are really making a meal out of this. Why can't they be just treated in the same way as electric bikes?

The present treatment of electric scooters in law is ignored by a lot of owners already.

Peter S

On 01/07/2020 09:55:56, Mike via groups.io <mike.egff@...> wrote:

Looking at the consequences of the slight lifting of lock-down I’m sorry but this will only add to No Respect UK Plc.

Mike Kemp

Born Again Cynic by religion

From: motorhome-list@groups.io <motorhome-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neill King \(MH-List\)
Sent: 30 June 2020 19:42
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: [motorhome-list] E-scooters from Saturday

BBC News website:

Rental e-scooters will become legal on roads in Great Britain from Saturday, in a bid to ease pressure on public transport amid the coronavirus crisis.

The Department for Transport (DfT) said the first rentable e-scooters could be available next week, as it published guidance for e-scooter-for-hire firms.

The vehicles are banned on pavements, will be limited to 15.5mph and it is recommended that riders wear helmets.

Privately owned e-scooters remain illegal on roads.

Under the new rules set out by the DfT, local authorities and devolved administrations in England, Scotland and Wales can allow or run e-scooter sharing schemes in their areas as part of 12-month trials.

Riders will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence to use the vehicles, and they must be aged 16 or over.

Won’t suit all of course but signs that the new world after lockdown will be different and bold decisions may well be taken.

Best regards

Neill   (Neill is deaf and doesn’t use the phone)
--------------------------------------------------------------
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk 01789-778825 551345165

neill@... motorcaravanning@...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On-line motorhome parts & accessory shop with added information

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join motorhome-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.