From: motorhome-list@groups.io [mailto:motorhome-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Morris
Sent: 18 May 2020 20:51
To: motorhome-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [motorhome-list] Fiat Ducato Instrument Cluster - a Warning

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 16:41, Mick Potter <mickpotter@zepler.org> wrote:

My ~10yo 'van is based on a Fiat Ducato, like many others. For obvious reasons, it hasn't been used much lately
I recently took it out after not using it for 4-5 weeks, just so that it got a run. None of the instruments (speedo, rev counter, temp and fuel level) worked. They were all stuck hard on zero.
The motors inside seize up.
I don't understand what you mean by 'motors'.

I'm not familiar with Ducato dash instruments (I have a 2017
Ducato/Hymer). In pre-digital days the speedo was a magnetically
attracted dial, but guess that with digital displays, a number is
converted into a voltage to energise a meter. Fuel displays were a
variable resistor or better known as a potentiometer, that varied the
current to a meter.

Are stepping motors now used?

Neill then wrote:-

I can add to that – if you have airbags make sure they have the minimum pressure in them before going for that run! We’ve heard of expensive mistakes recently!
Are you referring to air bag suspension or crash protection?