Re: Fiat Ducato Instrument Cluster - a Warning

Mick Potter

The motors are the things that drive the needles across the dial (fairly small, I guess).  There are four of them, one for each dial, whether or not they are steppers, I don't know: I would guess not, as steppers were usually fairly expensive.  (And yes, the terminology fooled me at first, too.)

And Neill, how do you check for the airbag pressure?  I never have before.

Bests,

Mick

Please make sure the only e-mail address you use for me is mickpotter@... or mickpotter@....  Any others you may find are likely to be temporary, and to disappear at a moment's notice.  I should hate to miss anything you send me.  Thanks.

On Monday, 18 May 2020, 20:51:58 BST, Alan Morris <alan.g4ens@...> wrote:

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 16:41, Mick Potter <mickpotter@...> wrote:

> My ~10yo 'van is based on a Fiat Ducato, like many others.  For obvious reasons, it hasn't been used much lately

> I recently took it out after not using it for 4-5 weeks, just so that it got a run.  None of the instruments (speedo, rev counter, temp and fuel level) worked.  They were all stuck hard on zero.

> The motors inside seize up.

I don't understand what you mean by 'motors'.

I'm not familiar with Ducato dash instruments (I have a 2017
Ducato/Hymer).  In pre-digital days the speedo was a magnetically
attracted dial, but guess that with digital displays, a number is
converted into a voltage to energise a meter.  Fuel displays were a
variable resistor or better known as a potentiometer, that varied the
current to a meter.

Are stepping motors now used?

Neill then wrote:-

> I can add to that – if you have airbags make sure they have the minimum pressure in them before going for that run!  We’ve heard of expensive mistakes recently!

Are you referring to air bag suspension or crash protection?