Re: Lock down in Funchal, Madeira

Derek Sims

What a talented writer your great-grandfather was! I felt I was there. It must be marvellous to have that correspondence - the equivalent of a modern motorhomer’s blog.

They still uses sledges in Clovelly to take goods down from the car park at the top. Incidentally, if anyone saw the film of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society at the weekend, that was Clovelly being used as St. Peter Port - not very appropriate really. They also used Bideford as Weymouth and the Hartland point area as the Guernsey coast. Why, I wonder? Economics, I suppose.

Stay Sane

Derek

Sent using the GMX mail app

On 03/05/2020 at 17:07, timsinc Sinclair wrote:

On 03/05/2020, don.madge@gmail.com <don.madge@gmail.com> wrote:
I know its OT but this is the live web cam at the Ritz Cafe in Funchal. I
can highly recommend the place, the prices are very reasonable
.. http://www.theritzmadeira.com/livewebcam.html
Don
Continuing off topic ........

Today we reached Madeira, and it was a great pleasure to have a meal
with the ship at rest. Since we left Dartmouth the fiddles have been
on the table each day. From the sea Madeira looks an island of abrupt
jagged hills - rising 4000 feet, scarred with ravines down which in
the rainy seasons the water rushes and roars - the hillsides are
dotted with houses white and yellow - and the ground is cultivated in
terraces - sugar canes and vines being the principal growths.

We landed for 4 hours. All the streets are paved with boulders set on
end - and these boulders are polished like agates with the bullock
sledges which are the carriages of the island - the steel shod sledges
slip smoothly over the stones and away you go as swiftly as a bullock
cart pulls you.

Beggars are like locusts. Deformed beggars - maimed beggars - bleary
eyed beggars and strong lusty beggars dog one's steps like shadows. If
a child turns a corner and catches sight of an Englishman, down drops
his basket and his hand is held out.

In a letter written by my great grandfather in 1876. Never been there
but brother says the sledges still in operation - but not the beggars!

Tim