Three and two

Bennett Family

Favourite Places

1. Camping Sibinj on the Croatian coast near Senj. We stayed there a number of times when it was Yugoslavia. Lot’s of good memories. My son’s been back in his van a number of times in recent years.
Nothing special about the place - a small site more or less on a beach with a small restaurant/cafe, but we love it. We usually included Salzburg one way and Venice the other.

2. Scullomie, Sutherland. A wild camping area on an old disused harbour near Tongue.  Last time we went there you would need a 4x4 to get down to the harbour, but when we used to go there both our Bedford Dormobile Debonair  and our Ford Motorhome Mk 3 had no problem in the 70s & 80s.
We came across it in a book written by Anthony Smith called Beside The Seaside, which detailed a survey of the British coastline in 1970. It was undertaken with half the group travelling by land and the other half by sea. The book is well worth a read written in an entertaining manner. Their favourite spot on the whole of the coastline was Scullomie and that’s why we set off to discover what it was like - with a 6 weeks old baby! There’s nothing there but fantastic views. The harbour was built by the Countess of Sutherland to enable the herring fleet to unload their catch there rather than beat against the wind to Scrabster. The harbour was more or less destroyed by storms in 1952.

3. Pentewan Sands, Cornwall. We first visited in 1970 camping in a very small Hilman Imp van and we’ve been back regularly since, particularly over the last 20 years. The two above are relatively remote, whereas this one is a large commercial campsite, but if you get a front row pitch alongside the beach, you hardly notice the others as your view is across the bay towards Fowey. The coastal path runs alongside, Pentewan village with a pub and cafe is a short stroll. Longer walks can take you to  Mevagissey and  the Lost Gardens off Helligan. An added benefit if you go regularly at the same time each year is that you meet the same people each year and they become friends.

Tours

1. Comex 3 in 1979 - trip to India and back driving a Bedford Duple Coach. Something I wanted to repeat, but never had the correct vehicle, the time & the money all at the same time. I can’t see it happening now. Iran, Afghanistan and India all stood out.

2. Turkey in a 1981 Hymer S660. France, Germany, Austria & Italy to pick up the Orient Express Cruise Ship in Venice,  which was a converted North Sea Ferry ship and so allowed us to take the van with us. We went through the Corinth canal and stopped off at Athens and Istanbul for day trips ashore before disembarking at Kusadasi and spending 2 weeks driving around that area of Turkey and then picking up the ship for the return to Venice stopping at Patmos and Olympia. Then a return home via France and the Cevennes.

Camping Sibinj with Motorhome Mk3 overlooking the beach.

Scullomie

The Pentewan Pitch.

Comex 3 Yorkshire Contingent with Mount Ararat in the background.

Turkey - near Olu Deniz