Re: EHU cable 1.5mm/2.5mm orange or blue?

Bennett Family

CMC rules seem to make cables of less than 23m “illegal” even if next to the bollard - so best dump your short cable and ensure that your full sized replacement has been supplied by the “caravan manufacturer” - would be as well to have a receipt. Disconnect in very cold weather as it may not pass the “flexible” test.

Jobsworth

On 16 Feb 2020, at 08:25, timsinc Sinclair via Groups.Io <timsinc@...> wrote:

Well, the CMC rules say: "The maximum permitted distance between socket outlet and any point on the caravan pitch is 20 metres.
"The hook up lead should be 25 metres (+/- 2 metres) of flexible cable supplied by the caravan manufacturer."
That's where and why, I suppose, joing together of two cables frowned upon. The CCC have a much more relaxed attitude.

No mention of colour or size. Usual stuff about completely unwinding and not leaving plugged into bollard if off for the day - or even doing the empty/filling biz.

"Club site staff have authority to refuse to offer a power supply to a caravan if it is believed that the installation may be unsafe."

Yep, often down to how officious a warden is.

Campervan Tim

On 15 February 2020 5:26:56 pm "Adrian Harman" <adrianharman@...> wrote:

I’m also confused??

Adrian
On 15 Feb 2020, 17:24 +0000, Richard <edelec@...>, wrote:
I am amazed at what I am reading! What are these caravan rules with
regard to cables?
Richard

On 15/02/2020 16:53, Carol Weaver wrote:

Well our blue one has been used on both CCC and old CC (not in latter
now) without any problems.

Carol

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 at 16:49, Sandytrax <brianinspain12@...
<mailto:brianinspain12@...>> wrote:

Thanks to all for your thoughts.
My further research indicates that standard ehu cables commonly
available on the market are orange 2.5mm. These meet the standards
of the NCC and the CCC.

Also available but not so common are orange 1.5mm but these are
not approved by the NCC.

I’ve hated using the two 2.5mm orange cables that I’ve owned
because they have quickly become inflexible, tangled  and hard to
wind up.

So I’ve just bought a 25m orange 1.5 cable from Go Outdoors. It
says on the pack that it’s not suitable for caravan sites and
should not be used in wet or damp conditions!!
However, it is marketed as a Motorhome ehu on many websites.
So that’s a bit mysterious.

Go Outdoors Price is £30 but I found it for £22 on another website
and with their price guarantee, they sold it to me for £20. Bargain!

I’m sure it will be fine.
And my heart won’t sink when I need to use a hook up.
Cheers
Brian

On 15 Feb 2020, at 13:17, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...
<mailto:timsinc@...>> wrote:

On 15/02/2020, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...
<mailto:andyclarke1050@...>> wrote:
25m of 1.5mm is approx 1.5kg lighter that 25m of 2.5mm

... and a heck of a lot easier to man/woman-handle. Except for CMC
sites, two even shorter cables connecting if needed (but rarely)
definitely my preferred option.

Campervan Tim
in storm-free, sunny Spain

UKMotorhomes.net

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 at 12:33, Bennett Family
<martin@... <mailto:martin@...>>
wrote:

Andy, Ern

Thanks.

Any idea of the weight difference for a 25m length of each? I
doubt f it
will be significant in the grand scheme of things.

Martin

On 15 Feb 2020, at 12:21, Andy Clarke via Groups.Io
<andyclarke1050=
gmail.com@groups.io <mailto:gmail.com@groups.io>> wrote:

1.5mm cable is OK for up to 3kW assuming an allowable voltage
drop of 5%
and that the cable is in free air, i.e. not on a reel or
closely coiled.

Andy Clarke
www.ukmotorhomes.net <http://www.ukmotorhomes.net>

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 21:05, Bennett Family
<martin@... <mailto:martin@...>>
wrote:

Is there any advantage in using 2.5mm rather than 1.5mm given
that most
of us are unlikely to use more than 2kw?
Just demonstrating my ignorance.
If no advantage then the lighter weight, blue, cable would
seem to make
sense.

<http://www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel>
Plusnet -cardun if you sign up recommend me please