Re: Brakes over heating/failing

Bennett Family

My problem was related to altitude and gas in the brake fluid.  It does need replacing from time to time - this is now in the maintenance schedule, but back in the 80s it may not have been and I wasn’t clued up enough to check it had been done in an 8 year old vehicle.

Martin

On 15 Feb 2019, at 10:13, Andy Clarke <andyclarke1050@...> wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 21:55, timsinc Sinclair <timsinc@...> wrote:
On 14/02/2019, Peter S via Groups.Io
<pstallwood=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

> We did meet a chap on Lake Maggiore in a Rapido who had to keep stopping to
> let his brakes cool. Also there was a Dutch chap there with a caravan whose
> brakes on the van had locked on from overheating.

Cannot understand that. Keeping in low gear saves the brakes.

TimS

To a certain extent, yes. On both our previous motorhomes (Merc 7.5t) I needed to use  brakes on steep descents, even in low gear, to prevent the engine over-reving. Cooked the brakes on the Vario in Morocco several yeas ago. the 814DA 4x4 was slightly better as it had an exhaust brake - still needed to use the brakes as well on occasion though.

Andy Clarke