Re: Austria

Bennett Family

Last time we did the downhill to Lake Garda we pulled onto a campsite to be followed by 20 or so bikers. We were a little apprehensive until they dismounted and removed their helmets - they were all older than me!

Martin

On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:43, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

My wife has just informed me that it was Lake Garda

David

On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:39, David Scholes <scholesd@...> wrote:

On one occasion we were going to Italy mainly to buy a melodeon from somewhere near Ancona. Never having been there I had no idea what route to take. The Mont Blanc Tunnel seemed very expensive. The Grand St Bernard meant going through Switzerland which meant a vignette at 40 euros so we went through Austria. I didn’t realise that we needed a vignette for Austria as well so we didn’t have one. The intention was to stay at a sight near Innsbruck but we got there and drove and drove but we never found any site, just road ups which we went round again and again. Eventually, in desperation we took a road out heading for a last chance sire at the top of the Brenner pass, in the road not the motorway. About half way up signs informed us that the pass was shut, not because of snow or the like, it was high summer anywAy, but just shut so we turned onto the motorway. Somewhere near the top there was a services. There was not much space but we squeezed between the fridge trucks and stayed the night. There was some kind of building so I went in and it was a kind of cafe where I bought some grilled pork and took it back to the van where we devoured it.
Next morning we went over the top into Italy where we cruised through the Dolomites. Absolutely beautiful. After this we arrived at a turn off for Lake Como so we took it. I suppose it was nice enough. We went down the lake on the west side. There were a lot of tunnels and a whole lot of coaches. All the coaches needed more than half of the road and they didn’t like slowing down. Since then I hate all tunnels and loath coach drivers. Having finally got out at the bottom of the lake i vowed never to go near it again and headed south.
We came back over the Little St Bernard pass but that is another story.

David

On 14 Feb 2019, at 13:46, Bennett Family <martin@...> wrote:

Peter,

In years gone by we’ve stayed a couple of times at campsites near Salzburg - worth a visit and I don’t normally like cities.

Not too far from there, we’ve also stayed near Bad Ischl which is a very pleasant small town - we deal with a company based there. When there we stayed at the campsite at the end of the lake at Fuschl-am-See. A good quiet site with bar that served food.

A couple of times we’ve headed over the hills from there to Venice - an enjoyable drive. Other times, way back, we went through Austria. Into Yugoslavia and down the Adriatic coast. I wouldn’t be able to resist this if I was in Austria with some spare time.

Have fun.

Martin
On 14 Feb 2019, at 12:47, Peter S via Groups.Io <pstallwood@...> wrote:

Thanks, Carol.