Topics

MOSIP Newsletter #4

Srijoni Sen

Dear Subscriber,

We hope you are doing well. Through this newsletter, we are sharing our progress so far with you.

Platform Development

Since we released version 0.9 of the platform on open source, we have been working towards version 1 which will additionally contain the modules required for resident control of their ID usage, a module required by administrators or the platform and one for partner management. Independent testing of v0.91 has been completed, while we expect to release version 1.0 in February 2020.

MOU with the Government of the Philippines

IIIT-B and the Philippine Statistics Authority, Republic of the Philippines signed a Memorandum of Understanding on 28th August 2019, for the adoption of MOSIP in the implementation of PhilSys, a foundational national ID system for all citizens of the Philippines and qualified resident aliens.

In accordance with its mandate, IIIT-B will support the Philippine Statistics Authority over the next three years in the creation of an ID system that is inclusive, safe and empowering to individuals.  A pilot commenced in November and 500 residents have registered under PhilSys which uses MOSIP as the core.

MOSIP as a Digital Public Good

MOSIP was mentioned in the report of the United Nations Secretary General’s High-Level Panel on Digital Cooperation as an approach on digital ID that has learned from the successes and failures of early adopters in order to develop open source code as a resource for countries to adapt. MOSIP also had an opportunity to present its innovation that addresses the sustainable development goals at an event held in conjunction with the UN General Assembly 2019. The event was scheduled on september 27th, 2019 by the United Nations Capital Development Fund, as part of its efforts through FinLab to identify innovations that impact sustainable development goals through financial inclusion and digital financial services.

Events

In August, 2019 we conducted a two-day workshop for biometrics and devices companies which was in the nature of a technical deep-dive into the architecture of MOSIP and an opportunity to discuss the benefits of working with the platform. 18 companies attended the workshop and gave their thoughts and feedback on our work so far.

Open Source India (OSI) is an annual event by the team at Open Source For You magazine in partnership with India’s Open Source community and industry—to bring various stake-holders under one roof. MOSIP had a stall at OSI with an objective of talking to as many open source enthusiasts as possible about MOSIP.

MOSIP Discussions with Bill Gates

The MOSIP team, on 30th October 2019, had the pleasure of providing Bill Gates and the team at the Gates Foundation with an update on our progress to-date. The team sought his feedback on the future roadmap of MOSIP. During the discussions he provided important pointers for us to follow up. We would once again like to thank the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and our other funders (Omidyar Network & Tata Trusts) for supporting us in our mission to creating digital public goods for enabling foundational identity platforms globally.

We have a number of hiring calls for software developers open on our website - please take a look! We also have a number of events planned for early 2020, details to follow shortly. With many thanks for your support so far, and look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,

MOSIP Team