Topics

Straight key

Wolf, OE7FTJ

Hi All!

After doing my first steps with the Morserino32 I encountered two issues:

On page 3 of the manual the plug #10 is decsribed to connect an external paddle as well as a straight key. But I didn't find any settings to switch from a paddle to a straight key. Menusettings are for Curtis A, Curtis B and Ultimatic only.
Is this for a future fw release only?

The second is the volume of the onboard speaker. In my opinion it's too weak audio and in a noisier enviroment hard to hear.

73 de Wolf, oe7ftj

Wolf Hoeller

--
My PGP public key is available at:

Willi, OE1WKL

Wolf,

The straight key is currently only supported for the Decoder function - you can use the decoder to verify what you give with the straight key.

Re. audio in noisy environments: in such environments it might be better to use headphones anyway....

Von meinem iPad gesendet

dm3kb@...

Hi all,

correct me if I am wrong but to use the straight-key with the decoder-Input a separate side-tone generator would be necessary, right?
BecauseI have tested to simply plug my Straight-Key to both of the IN/OUT ports and nothing happened in decoder mode when I start to key.

The Morserino32 itself is a kind of masterpiece but for me is a bit of a shame as I joined this project because I was looking forward to the Echo-Training
with a straight key. Hopefully this feature will be added to the software soon. Because I was told, first learn to operate with a straight key and then if
you can handle this start with the paddle.

Is there may already an plan/estimation if/when this feature will become available?
I also would volunteer for beta tests.

Kind regards and vy 73
Kai DM3KB

Willi, OE1WKL

Hi Kai,

To decode a straight key you plug it into the external paddle connector, not the audio I/O connector (this one decodes audio). And with the key in the paddle connector you won't need an extra side tone.

You currently cannot use a straight key for functions like the echo trainer - maybe this will be possible in a later software release.

There are now schools of thinking that you should actually start with an automatic meyer, before you start using a straight key - for me this makes sense, because the timing relationships (dit - dah - pause) are inherently correct with an automatic key, with a straight key this has to be hardwired into you brain. That's why the old school also said you are only allowed to touch a key when you have mastered copying code.

CW Schule Graz starts their course with a paddle, and you learn to copy and to key in parallel, and they are very successful with this method. I used a lot of input from their side developing the Morserino-32.....

Willi
OE1WKL

Von meinem iPad gesendet