Topics

Rotary Encoder

Craig T. Bailey

I think I wrecked my rotary encoder.

Today I built the device, and the rotary encoder wasn't making any selections. So I check the solder joints on the encoder, and the joints on the header pins. Re-soldered a handful of them.

Still no rotary action. The push-button function of the encoder works.

I may have over heated it.

I'll buy a new encoder, probably from mouser or some other parts-house, but how best to specify the encoder so a new one fits?

Thanks

Craig
N1SFT

Willi, OE1WKL

Craig,

you can get the encoder from Mouser (Mouser 652-PEC11R-4215F-S24), but I doubt that you could destroy the encoder so easily.
As I said, all encoder problems I have seen so far (maybe 10 out of > 900 kits) were bad solder joints at the encoder.

Am 14.07.2019 um 21:32 schrieb Craig T. Bailey <@ctbailey>:

I think I wrecked my rotary encoder.

Today I built the device, and the rotary encoder wasn't making any selections. So I check the solder joints on the encoder, and the joints on the header pins. Re-soldered a handful of them.

Still no rotary action. The push-button function of the encoder works.

I may have over heated it.

I'll buy a new encoder, probably from mouser or some other parts-house, but how best to specify the encoder so a new one fits?

Thanks

Craig
N1SFT

Craig T. Bailey

Thanks Willi,

I've check and re-checked the solder joints. There is also a possibility that I physically broke it while trying to slip the knob onto the shaft... it would not seat fully on the shaft. So, I really tried pushing hard the knob onto the shaft.

Either way its messed up, and the device is non operable until I can get a menu selection knob working.

I'm so angry at myself. I'm a good kit builder, I promise! 😊

[...]

AlfredR

I did not face any problems when I soldered the kit. I did the work on New Year‘s Eve with a bottle of champagne in front of me. It worked right from the beginning, you can hear the fireworks in the background. So the next time use less heat use more champagne. Sorry, I am kidding
https://youtu.be/ihCny0v3_QA
BR Alfred

Vince A

I am a cheap A*S BAS***ERD, Champaign is to rich for my blood. Beer works in a pinch! LOL
---
-During World War 2, Hams could not do what in the USA?
- In the movie Contact, what was Ellie's callsign?
- "Bandwidth" A Ham's waist size!
73-Vince: ":>) KD7TWW Formerly KJ7EUG
Thank you for your reply...

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 6:56 AM AlfredR <ariss@...> wrote:
I did not face any problems when I soldered the kit. I did the work on New Year‘s Eve with a bottle of champagne in front of me. It worked right from the beginning, you can hear the fireworks in the background. So the next time use less heat use more champagne. Sorry, I am kidding
https://youtu.be/ihCny0v3_QA
BR Alfred

Craig T. Bailey

Hi willi,

I finally was able to desolder and replace the encoder. I was afraid I was butchering the board!!!

But, a new encoder is working good on my morserino.

Willi you have designed a fantastic device. I’ve only had mine functional for less than 24 hours, But I am seriously impressed.

Thank you Willi for bringing this to the planet. It will likely revolutionize the way morse is learned.

I’m only sad that I didn’t purchase the two-pack of units when the original pre order went live! My kids now want one.

Willi, OE1WKL

Hi Craig,

good to hear that your Morserino is working OK now!

Re. a second one for the kids: you are always welcome to order another kit (or two...) ;-) Or get some people from your local club interested - you might get enough for a cheaper bulk order!