Topics

Reading voltage, charging battery

on4zp@...

Hi Willy,

I have a strange behavior reading the voltage of my 900 mA lipo battery.

After more than 10 hours charging on USB, the morserino completely shut down, no orange light, no screen.

I pull out the USB cable, shutdown the switch to off, and set it on. The morserino go on and the reading voltage is 3.9V.

Mesuring with a reliable voltmeter, the voltage is in reality 4,09V.

Seems that the mesure made with the ESP32 is wrong/not reliable.

Other strange things :

-          when you go in the Wifi parameters and come back to the menu the reading voltage is now 7,9V !!??

-          same thing when you ask the MAC address, after come back to menu, the voltage is 7,9V too ??!!

Perhaps a way to find the bug in the firmware ?? Or is the ESP32 definitively not reliable ??

73, Claude, ON4ZP

Willi, OE1WKL

Hi Claude!

Yes, we know that the voltage readings of the ESP32 are not very accurate - there seems to be an underlying hardware problem within teh processor, so not much we can do about that.

Re. the Morserino „shutting down“ after charging:
- the orange light stops glowing when the battery is fully charged. That’s normal.
- it is also normal that the Morserino goes into deep sleep mode when there are no screen updates for a while (that is configurable). As a result the screen becomes dark.  A short press on the RED button brings it back to life - no need to switch off and on again!

Hope this helps!

OE1WKL