Topics

Reading voltage, charging battery

on4zp@...

Hi Willy,

I have a strange behavior reading the voltage of my 900 mA lipo battery.

After more than 10 hours charging on USB, the morserino completely shut down, no orange light, no screen.

I pull out the USB cable, shutdown the switch to off, and set it on. The morserino go on and the reading voltage is 3.9V.

Mesuring with a reliable voltmeter, the voltage is in reality 4,09V.

Seems that the mesure made with the ESP32 is wrong/not reliable.

Other strange things :

-          when you go in the Wifi parameters and come back to the menu the reading voltage is now 7,9V !!??

-          same thing when you ask the MAC address, after come back to menu, the voltage is 7,9V too ??!!

Perhaps a way to find the bug in the firmware ?? Or is the ESP32 definitively not reliable ??

--------------------------------

73, Claude, ON4ZP

Willi, OE1WKL

Hi Claude!

Yes, we know that the voltage readings of the ESP32 are not very accurate - there seems to be an underlying hardware problem within teh processor, so not much we can do about that.

Re. the Morserino „shutting down“ after charging:
- the orange light stops glowing when the battery is fully charged. That’s normal.
- it is also normal that the Morserino goes into deep sleep mode when there are no screen updates for a while (that is configurable). As a result the screen becomes dark.  A short press on the RED button brings it back to life - no need to switch off and on again!

Hope this helps!

Willi
OE1WKL

Am 16.05.2019 um 11:48 schrieb Claude MEUNIER <on4zp@...>:

Hi Willy, 

I have a strange behavior reading the voltage of my 900 mA lipo battery.

After more than 10 hours charging on USB, the morserino completely shut down, no orange light, no screen.

I pull out the USB cable, shutdown the switch to off, and set it on. The morserino go on and the reading voltage is 3.9V.
Mesuring with a reliable voltmeter, the voltage is in reality 4,09V. 
Seems that the mesure made with the ESP32 is wrong/not reliable.

Other strange things : 

-          when you go in the Wifi parameters and come back to the menu the reading voltage is now 7,9V !!??
-          same thing when you ask the MAC address, after come back to menu, the voltage is 7,9V too ??!!

Perhaps a way to find the bug in the firmware ?? Or is the ESP32 definitively not reliable ??

--------------------------------
73, Claude, ON4ZP