From: morserino@groups.io <morserino@groups.io> on behalf of Gary AE4GS <ae4gs@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 5, 2020 9:36:52 AM
To: morserino@groups.io <morserino@groups.io>
Subject: [morserino] No rotary switch action

I've completed the build and after connecting power I get the boot up screen then "Select Modus: CW Keyer", but rotating the rotary switch does not do anything. Depressing the rotary switch displays the CW keyer, but nothing happens. Depressing the red button brings up Audio Adjust, but again, the rotary switch does nothing. I've read previous posts, and have resoldered the 5 contacts many times. Now I'm wondering if it could be anything else, or if I could have damaged the rotary switch by excessive heat while trying to resolder it? Thanks for any help. Very frustrated, Gary AE4GS

arnold@...

Hi!
Could you check, hat the 5 soldering pins and the case bode are properly soldered as well as that the don't have any bridges on the bottom AND the top side? I guess the problem raises around the 3 pins. Try to remove excess solder tin from the pins.
73 de OE1IAH

Gary AE4GS

Edited

I've built many projects before and have resoldered the 5 connections on the rotary switch to where I'm afraid I'm going to melt the inside of the switch. There is solder on both sides of all 5 connections. I cannot believe that the connections need more heat for the solder is flowing. Is there anything else that can cause this condition?
Thanks, Gary

Gary AE4GS

Edited

When I push the red button the "audio adjust" screen comes up. The rotary switch doesn't do anything and in the center of the bar graph the level is bouncing back and forth on the bar. Could this indicate a short in the rotary switch?
Thanks, Gary

Willi, OE1WKL

Gary,

The Rotary Encoder is not supposed to do anything within the audio adjustment screen - this adjust audio input with the help of the blue potentiometer - see the user manual.

Can you rotate through the menus (CW Keyer, CW Generator, …) after startup? If not the encoder signal does not get through to the processor. This could eb bad soldering on the three pins of the encoder, or bad soldering of the Heltec pin headers.

Can you enter the CW Keyer by pushing the black button? (Do you get dits and dahs when you touch the paddles?) if not, then the signal of the encoder push button does not get through to the processor. This can be bad solder joints at the 2 pins of the encoder, oder again, at the pin headers of the Heltec module.

It is unlikely that the encoder itself is faulty (had not one faulty encoder of the > 1500 kits sold so far).

Am 05.01.2020 um 20:20 schrieb Gary AE4GS <ae4gs@...>:

[Edited Message Follows]

When I push the red button the "audio adjust" screen comes up. The rotary switch doesn't do anything and in the center of the bar graph the level is bouncing back and forth on the bar. Could this indicate a short in the rotary switch?
Thanks, Gary

Kurt Bischinger

Hi Gary,

I had the same problem when I built my morserino. In my case the heltec module connector was not soldered in properly. Maybe worth checking...

Cheers,

Kurt

Am 05.01.2020 um 20:25 schrieb Gary AE4GS <ae4gs@...>:

[Edited Message Follows]

When I push the red button the "audio adjust" screen comes up. The rotary switch doesn't do anything and in the center of the bar graph the level is bouncing back and forth on the bar. Could this indicate a short in the rotary switch?
Thanks, Gary

Gary AE4GS

Thanks for everyones help. I've resoldered all the pins on the board and it seems to be working. Not getting any sound from the speaker, but I need to read through the user manual now that the rotary switch is working. Thanks Willi. I think it was most likely a bad solder joint on the Helec module and not the rotary switch. Look forward to using this little gem. Tnx agn to all es 73, Gary AE4GS