Topics

New battery recommendation

Martin Hepp

Dear all:

I think I recently raised my concerns here that using a FPV / quadrocopter battery was a suboptimal choice, because those do not contain protective circuits against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

This week, I found what I think is the ideal battery:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/283615436722

It is a 1S/3.7V 600mAh version that fits nicely below the Morserino PCB (even with the shorter 5mm distance plugs), and it has an integrated circuit against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

The price is ca. 6 EUR plus postage, so very fair.

The undervoltage lock-out should also make sure that if you accidentally leave the power slide switch on (or if it turns on during transport), the battery will not be destroyed.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

Willi, OE1WKL

Well, it seems a good battery, but the connector is a JST and not a Molex, so you would have to replace the battery cable with a suitable one.

Overcharge and high currents are not really a problem / the onboard circuitry prevents overcharge, and there is a polyfuse on the PCB to protect against high currents. But undervoltage is a problem, I fully agree.

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 15.11.2019 um 19:27 schrieb Martin Hepp <mfhepp@...>:

Dear all:

I think I recently raised my concerns here that using a FPV / quadrocopter battery was a suboptimal choice, because those do not contain protective circuits against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

This week, I found what I think is the ideal battery:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/283615436722

It is a 1S/3.7V 600mAh version that fits nicely below the Morserino PCB (even with the shorter 5mm distance plugs), and it has an integrated circuit against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

The price is ca. 6 EUR plus postage, so very fair.

The undervoltage lock-out should also make sure that if you accidentally leave the power slide switch on (or if it turns on during transport), the battery will not be destroyed.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

hl5bat@...

I haven't received my order yet so I don't know what it is, and why is it so late?
from shin in Korea.

네이버 메일앱에서 보냈습니다.
제목: Re: [morserino] New battery recommendation

Well, it seems a good battery, but the connector is a JST and not a Molex, so you would have to replace the battery cable with a suitable one.

Overcharge and high currents are not really a problem / the onboard circuitry prevents overcharge, and there is a polyfuse on the PCB to protect against high currents. But undervoltage is a problem, I fully agree.

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

> Am 15.11.2019 um 19:27 schrieb Martin Hepp <mfhepp@...>:
>
> Dear all:
>
> I think I recently raised my concerns here that using a FPV / quadrocopter battery was a suboptimal choice, because those do not contain protective circuits against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.
>
> This week, I found what I think is the ideal battery:
>
>    https://www.ebay.de/itm/283615436722
>
> It is a 1S/3.7V 600mAh version that fits nicely below the Morserino PCB (even with the shorter 5mm distance plugs), and it has an integrated circuit against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.
>
> The price is ca. 6 EUR plus postage, so very fair.
>
> The undervoltage lock-out should also make sure that if you accidentally leave the power slide switch on (or if it turns on during transport), the battery will not be destroyed.
>
> 73 de Martin, DK3IT

hl5bat@...

I haven't received my order yet so I don't know what it is, and why is it so late?
from shin in Korea.

네이버 메일앱에서 보냈습니다.
제목: [morserino] New battery recommendation

Dear all:

I think I recently raised my concerns here that using a FPV / quadrocopter battery was a suboptimal choice, because those do not contain protective circuits against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

This week, I found what I think is the ideal battery:

   https://www.ebay.de/itm/283615436722

It is a 1S/3.7V 600mAh version that fits nicely below the Morserino PCB (even with the shorter 5mm distance plugs), and it has an integrated circuit against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

The price is ca. 6 EUR plus postage, so very fair.

The undervoltage lock-out should also make sure that if you accidentally leave the power slide switch on (or if it turns on during transport), the battery will not be destroyed.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

Willi, OE1WKL

Yours has been shipped on October 21st, and a shipping notice had been sent to you (of you did not see it check your spam folder!)

Outside Europe it is not unusual that shipments take up to month - so your kit should arrive soon!

OE1WKL

Am 15.11.2019 um 23:28 schrieb hl5bat@...:

[...]

brianbgarber@...

Regarding the battery connector, I noticed that my quadcopter batteries all use the JST connector (they are all E-flite 1S batteries). It looks like the DC cable supplied with the Morserino kit has a Molex type connector, is this correct? It appears that the connector in the KI6NAZ Youtube review is the smaller JST connector.

Thanks,
Brian WB8AM

Willi, OE1WKL

The kit comes with a cable featuring a Molex connector. Of course you can replace that cable with another cable that has whatever you fancy to use. The picture shows a battery with a Molex connector.

Am 11.12.2019 um 15:02 schrieb brianbgarber via Groups.Io <brianbgarber@...>:

Regarding the battery connector, I noticed that my quadcopter batteries all use the JST connector (they are all E-flite 1S batteries). It looks like the DC cable supplied with the Morserino kit has a Molex type connector, is this correct? It appears that the connector in the KI6NAZ Youtube review is the smaller JST connector.

Thanks,
Brian WB8AM

Patrick Dirks, N6PWD

Hi Brian,

On Dec 11, 2019, at 6:02 AM, brianbgarber via Groups.Io <brianbgarber@...> wrote:

Regarding the battery connector, I noticed that my quadcopter batteries all use the JST connector (they are all E-flite 1S batteries). It looks like the DC cable supplied with the Morserino kit has a Molex type connector, is this correct? It appears that the connector in the KI6NAZ Youtube review is the smaller JST connector.

Yeah, when I bought a set of 4 "600mAh 1S 3.7V LiPo Battery 50C JST-PH 2.0 PowerWhoop mCPX Connector Rechargeable 1S LiPo Battery for Inductrix FPV Plus Tiny Whoop FPV Racing Drone” on Amazon ($20, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CHMM252/) because they conveniently fit under the Heltec circuit board I also bought a set of 3 "Tiny Whoop JST-PH 2.0 Pin Male Female Connector Cable for Upgrading Blade Inductrix” ($6.88, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B66P5C) and soldered one of THOSE to the board instead of the provided Molex connector.

It’s more than strictly needed (they’re 3 sets of male+female JST cables) but it came in handy when I melted one set cutting through a cable that was still connected to a battery... with metal cutters... instant smoke!  Those batteries pack plenty of power!  I figured I’d have a use for another set when I used one of the other 3 batteries some day anyway.

73, N6PWD
-Patrick.

Thanks,
Brian WB8AM