Topics

Morserino with a straight keyer

beruberu@...

Hello,

Many people told me that I should learn morse with a straight  keyer, but it is not possible with Morserino, why?? Could you add this feature in a next relaese....It would be much apprciated..

Thanks and 73 qro HB9GUR

Juergen Wagner

Am 27.10.2019 um 11:26 schrieb beruberu@...:

Hello,

Many people told me that I should learn morse with a straight  keyer, but it is not possible with Morserino, why?? Could you add this feature in a next relaese....It would be much apprciated..

Thanks and 73 qro HB9GUR

Doug KD9PK

I learned morse in the 60’s with a straight key and because of it I have a fantastic fist but it is incredibly tiring above 15 wpm.
I have been struggling to learn iambic b.  I love it but make a lot a mistakes because it is not natural yet.

If I had learned iambic back then (I would have been ahead of the technology but that’s beside the point) I wouldn’t have the speed limit and learning straight key is easier  as the second rather than the first keying method.

I would humbly suggest you learn with the keyer first.

This is from someone who is emphatic about the use of morse in emergencies….2 wires, lights, pounding objects, etc.

On Oct 27, 2019, at 5:26 AM, beruberu@... wrote:

Hello,

Many people told me that I should learn morse with a straight  keyer, but it is not possible with Morserino, why?? Could you add this feature in a next relaese....It would be much apprciated..

Thanks and 73 qro HB9GUR

Craig T. Bailey

They told you to learn with a straight key because they did.  And of course, as with most hams... “their way” is the “best way.”

In today’s world, learn with the tools we have.  Gone are the days when the US Navy would teach Morse Code to a room full of radio men 8 hours a day, 6 days a week.

The hams from that generation learned morse with a straight key.  With the numbers dwindling, why would we reduce our effectiveness by taking a 50 year step back in time?

Morserino is an excellent tool.

Try it...  you might like it, and let the LIDS be lids somewhere else.

<hnjdbgjaabahndjc.png>

--
_____
Craig Bailey

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

I started with a straight key in 1960, and have been CW only since then.  But, I built my first keyer (a W9TO with four vacuum tubes, two tube regulators and a mercury relay for the key line) within the first year or so.  As for any topic of "which is better", you will get recommendations from one extreme to the other.  I appreciate the sound of an excellent fist on a key, or a bug, but feel for learning, the electronic keyer is good because it provides some of the timing needed for clean CW keying.  It still requires the user to develop an ear for properly timed code.

The W9TO keyer was not "iambic".  If I recall correctly, when used with a dual lever paddle (two J-38 keys mounted back to back) the dash "overrode" the dot.  When I moved to an iambic keyer, it probably happened to be Type A, but all I know now is that my fingers prefer A.  Years ago, when rigs first came out with internal keyers, I believe it was common that they did not provide an option for A or B, but only had B.  Everyone who learned on B of course finds it hard to use A and vice versa.  I feel that B is more demanding on finger timing at higher speed.

The other option that comes up is "to squeeze or not squeeze".  Again you will find proponents for each one.  N1FN wrote a paper years ago to state his case for non squeeze:  http://www.morsex.com/pubs/iambicmyth.pdf
I think K7QO takes the side of squeeze keying.  I do not know if this article is where he makes his arguments for squeeze keying or not:  http://morse-rss-news.sourceforge.net/keyerdoc/K7QO_Iambic_Paddle.pdf

I am on the side of not squeezing.  I use a dual lever paddle, iambic type A, and do not squeeze.  A few years ago I decided to try a single lever paddle thinking perhaps some of my errors might be reduced.  My conclusion was that the type of errors merely changed, but my error rate was still higher than I care for.

I think the most important thing to do while learning any manner of sending is to be able to recognize errors and clearly correct them.  If errors are made and not corrected, then depending on the nature of the error, it can make copy much more difficult for the other op.  I have had QSOs where I had to really struggle to try to figure out what was being sent.  I would prefer that the other op QRS to a speed where their error rate is reasonably low than to push the speed with a higher error rate.

Chuck
W5UXH
Las Cruces, NM

beruberu@...

Hello,

Thanks to all of you for your good advice

73 qro from Switzerland

HB9GUR

colin humphries

You can use a straight key by going into the menu and selecting cw decode instead of going into the normal keyer part of the menu. In cw decode the straight key works fine.
It would be nice to have a key option in the setup so you can use the straight key in the echo mode.
Colin. (K0LIN)

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019, 09:58 <beruberu@...> wrote:
Hello,

Many people told me that I should learn morse with a straight  keyer, but it is not possible with Morserino, why?? Could you add this feature in a next relaese....It would be much apprciated..

Thanks and 73 qro HB9GUR

beruberu@...

It would be nice to have a key option in the setup so you can use the straight key in the echo mode.
Colin. (K0LIN)

I agree....

HB9GUR

DM3KB (Kai)

Hello all,

I am also looking forward to the straight key echo training feature.
Would be much appreciated.

May Willi can confirm if the feature will make mit to the next version.

Vy 73 Kai DM3KB