Topics

Morserino Wakes up

Guenther

Hallo OM's ,
the Lipo is fully charged and when the Morserino is sleeping and i press the RED Putton, the Display shoes the battery EMPTY and sleep again. Only with i switch OFF and ON i can work with the Morserino.
Is this normal?
73 Best regardes Günther

Willi, OE1WKL

This is not normal. Although the method the Heltec module uses to measure battery voltage is not very reliable, in my opinion. Can you measure what the actual voltage of the battery is? (Connect ground of a DVM to e.g. the external paddle connector - the threaded bit, and use the voltage probe on the Polyfuse (one of the golden contacts of the Polyfuse next to the red cable from the battery).

I am assuming that the battery is not really fully charged. I became aware of an issue, that battery voltage always reads „full battery“ when you switch the device on with the slider switch, and only when it is woken up from deep sleep it measures correctly. This could explain the behavior. When turning on with the switch, it assumes the battery is full, and continues (at least for a while - soon the battery will be completely empty; then the behavior will start to be very erratic, until it totally gives up).
When waking up from deep sleep, it measures the correct value and determines, that the voltage is too low for reliable operation, and therefore shows the battery empty message.

OE1WKL

PS: If anyone has a hint why voltage measurement is completely off when powering on, but works when waking up, I would be very grateful. In both cases the system does a complete reboot, as far as the user code is concerned. Therefore exactly the same code is being executed in both cases during the setup procedure… I am a bit lost here at the moment.

torsten@...

Well, we found out, that the m32 only charges at very low current (<120 mA) and stops before charging completely. This issue was found out by other members, too. And: You only get the real voltage when starting from the deep sleep. Turning the m32 on with the switch will show you wrong states ("full").

We now use an external charger with 900 mA current to charge the LiPo really quick. Here we are using the charger from cheaptronic24.de wich costs EUR 1,09 or so.

73
  Torsten, DL8KFO

Wolf, OE7FTJ

Hi all!

My battery (Tattu 600mAh from Conrad) is charged by a 2.2A charger through the Heltec. The red LED is always on, but the battery draws no current. After several hours the M32 shows a full battery after wake up. After a power off/on the battery shows half full.
Thats my experience charging the battery through the Heltec module.

Wolf, oe7ftj

Wolf Hoeller

--
My PGP public key is available at:

Am Mi., 23. Jan. 2019 um 15:35 Uhr schrieb Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...>:

[...]

Hallo Willi, the LIPO has 4,08 Volt at the end of charging and the display shoes EMPTY after pushing the red button.
73 Best regardes Günther OE7GWT

Am Mi., 23. Jän. 2019, 15:22 hat Guenther via Groups.Io <guenther.wirth2205=gmail.com@groups.io> geschrieben:

Hallo OM's ,
the Lipo is fully charged and when the Morserino is sleeping and i press the RED Putton, the Display shoes the battery EMPTY and sleep again. Only with i switch OFF and ON i can work with the Morserino.
Is this normal?
73 Best regardes Günther

Willi, OE1WKL

Günther,

4.08 V is very low for a LiPo charge - normally it is around 4.2 V. Still, even with 4.08 V, it should not show „Battery Empty“….
Perhaps it is best if I send you a new Heltec module for testing - you can return the old module to me then. Maybe the charging and battery indication circuit on the module is not working correctly.

Am 23.01.2019 um 22:51 schrieb Guenther <guenther.wirth2205@...>:

Hallo Willi, the LIPO has 4,08 Volt at the end of charging and the display shoes EMPTY after pushing the red button.
73 Best regardes Günther OE7GWT

Am Mi., 23. Jän. 2019, 15:22 hat Guenther via Groups.Io <guenther.wirth2205=gmail.com@groups.io> geschrieben:
Hallo OM's ,
the Lipo is fully charged and when the Morserino is sleeping and i press the RED Putton, the Display shoes the battery EMPTY and sleep again. Only with i switch OFF and ON i can work with the Morserino.
Is this normal?
73 Best regardes Günther

Uwe Hiller

It is here the same!

73- Uwe

DK3WW

Hallo Willi, the LIPO has 4,08 Volt at the end of charging and the display shoes EMPTY after pushing the red button.
73 Best regardes Günther OE7GWT

Am Mi., 23. Jän. 2019, 15:22 hat Guenther via Groups.Io <guenther.wirth2205=gmail.com@groups.io> geschrieben:

Hallo OM's ,

the Lipo is fully charged and when the Morserino is sleeping and i press the RED Putton, the Display shoes the battery EMPTY and sleep again. Only with i switch OFF and ON i can work with the Morserino.

Is this normal?

73 Best regardes Günther

Wolf, OE7FTJ

Now the charging has changed to the 'normal' behavior. The red LED is off and the battery symbol shows full, but only after power off/on and not after the wake up by the red button. I will try it with a different LiPo battery with more capacity, to see if it charge in the same way.
This is the situation on my side.

Anyway, the Morserino32 is for me - as a beginner with morsecode, but oldtimer in hamradio - a perfect tool to learn morsecode and I like it.

73 de Wolf, oe7ftj

Wolf Hoeller

--

Am Mi., 23. Jan. 2019 um 16:33 Uhr schrieb Wolf Hoeller <wolf.hoeller@...>:

[...]

i charged the LIPO with an extern LIPO charger to 4,18Volt. Conected the Morserino with the LIPO and it was the same behave as the Voltage was 4,08 Volt.
Sorry vor the bad News.
In the meantime i power up the Morserino with the on off switch.
73, Günther OE7GWT

Am Do., 24. Jän. 2019, 12:22 hat Wolf, OE7FTJ <wolf.hoeller@...> geschrieben:

[...]

Slavek, OK2SLC

Edited

Hi all,
I have the same problem. Charging LiPo (1200mAh) over Heltec module is neverending strory because charging voltage is only 4.11V (value verified by another multimeter). Amber LED on module still light. Measurment of capacity after WakeUp via red button is very random (cca 20, 33, 50 and 70%) but after power off/on is full and battery have 4.1V without load.

I take it as the Heltec module feature and not as a mistake a and I can live with it calmly :).

73! Slavek OK2SLC

EDIT: The LiPo battery capacity is of course 1200mAh...

Armin, DJ2AG

Hi all,

charging my 1300mA LiPo takes forever because the Heltec charger is configured for 100mA charge current. Maybe I will change the resistor to increase the current a little bit.  Charging stops at 4,09V.  Random behavior of charge Symbol also with my Morserino. But this is not a real problem for me and I assume it could possibly be fixed in software. Haven’t had the time to look in detail.

73 Armin, DJ2AG

AlfredR

Hi,
provided this is the correct datasheet for the charging IC TP4054 you may find information on how the status of the battery is displayed. It seems to me that you can’t show a percentage.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/405442xf.pdf
73 Alfred

Armin, DJ2AG

Hi Alfred,

TP4054 charging IC is not used for display of battery voltage. Instead the ESP32 ADC Pin 13 is used to measure it. The CHRG pin referenced in figure 5 in above mentioned  datasheet is only used for the LED signaling the charging process, but not read by the CPU. So in principle percentage should be possible.

73 Armin, DJ2AG

Wolf, OE7FTJ

Hi All,

I think the accurate display of battery status is not a neccessary feature operating the Morserino. Maybe the symbol in 25% steps is enough.

Wolf, oe7ftj

Wolf Hoeller

--

Am Sa., 26. Jan. 2019 um 09:56 Uhr schrieb Armin, DJ2AG <ya_duck@...>:

Hi Alfred,

TP4054 charging IC is not used for display of battery voltage. Instead the ESP32 ADC Pin 13 is used to measure it. The CHRG pin referenced in figure 5 in above mentioned  datasheet is only used for the LED signaling the charging process, but not read by the CPU. So in principle percentage should be possible.

73 Armin, DJ2AG

Armin, DJ2AG

Hi Wolf,

I totally agree. And this is what from my point of view the battery symbol is meant to show. But currently we have to find out why in some cases we get 0 or other random values even  the battery is fully charged. Not that it is really needed, the really important M32 functions are working great. It’s just that this fine product deserves to have  this function working too. Sostill trying to understand the mysteries behind this somehow strange behavior.

Armin, DJ2AG

Howard W6HDG

I built my Morserino yesterday and I can confirm that with a full charged battery (charged externally), I get the full battery symbol when switched on but a 50% battery when woken up with the red button after just a few minutes of use.

DD1TOM

Hi all,

I load my morserino via an external charger (900mA loading current) and tried also the USB choice (120 mA). When waking up the morserino (red button), I never got a battery status better than close to empty.

73 de Tommes, DD1TOM

(nevertheless morserino is a cool toy, thanks!)