Topics

Learning wid ECHO mode

Juergen Wagner

Hello Willi and Morserino-Friends,
just minutes ago i made my "first lesson" in using the ECHO-mode. After some minutes i was in my "own mind mode", that means i was trying
to get "OK's" as often as possible; BUT i learned that i've to change something: I can vy often copy the heard sound and the "OK"-prompt, but
hvn't decoded - for example - the CW abbreveation in my mind. like repeating not known language words without knowing the meaning of that.
Think i've to do some other training for realy learning cw "decoding" by ear only at speeds around 20wpm or higher.

For the moment 73 to all readers

Juergen

Greg - WB5GM

Juergen - I agree with your assessment of being able to send without being able to decode.  My suggestion to Willi would be to have the OPTION to have the sent code text pop up on the screen so that you can see and hear the letter/words while trying to log the "OK"s.

Greg

Tom Parish

I'm going to chime in and say I've had similar observations regarding an additional form of reinforcement during the Echo mode. I had a similar experience of getting more and more OKs one after another but I didn't really know what the word or abbreviation was.  Some of the obvious ones like 'an' or 'the' etc etc .. I knew.

So I second the motion of having something like this:

--

Inspire Curiosity Together
TomParish.com

Oz8pm@...

Hi, I too have the exact same observation. After a short while, I tend to “play it by ear” and are getting lots of “OK” but haven’t really translated anything into code. This seems counterproductive to the intentions of the “Echo mode” which I guess is “learning to send code”.

I too would like to support the idea of showing the word on the screen before the user sends the code. I would however like to take it a step further and suggest an option to turn off the sound during the “word presentation” so the user is forces to translate the written letters on the screen into morse code in the head and in turn into muscle memory and key sending.

73 OZ8PM

Richard Lawn

I believe  this is a good idea. I also wonder if it would be possible to change the time between sent word or phrase and the response. A little more space or a space that could be variable I think might help me.

It’s a wonderful tool!!

Rick, W2JAZ
--

Joy Rabins

I have the same observation about me sending back the sounds and not really knowing what letter I am sending. I have lengthened the space between words in the preferences and then put my thumb over the screen (so I won't cheat) and try and translate the word in my head. Doing this gives me time to think between words but I would really like to lengthen the time between when the morserino sends the word and when it expects me to send the same word back. I am definitely getting better but, for me, it's a long process. Instead of rushing through trying to learn the letters as fast as I can I am really trying to be patient and having them burned into my brain before moving to the next letter.

--
Joy
KM6IFL

Willi, OE1WKL

I have put this on my To Do list for improvements / added features to echo mode...

OE1WKL

Am 08.07.2019 um 13:49 schrieb Oz8pm@...:

Hi, I too have the exact same observation. After a short while, I tend to “play it by ear” and are getting lots of “OK” but haven’t really translated anything into code. This seems counterproductive to the intentions of the “Echo mode” which I guess is “learning to send code”.

I too would like to support the idea of showing the word on the screen before the user sends the code. I would however like to take it a step further and suggest an option to turn off the sound during the “word presentation” so the user is forces to translate the written letters on the screen into morse code in the head and in turn into muscle memory and key sending.

73 OZ8PM

Joy Rabins

Willi, thank you very much, you are the best.
--
Joy
KM6IFL