Topics

iCW / Ext Trx experimental mode

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

I found that iCW/Ext Trx mode allows me to use the keyer and also hear the received audio stream as one would expect.  But I found that the keyer speed tracks the decoder speed.   I prefer for the keyer speed to be independent of the decoder speed.

A few months ago I verified that I can compile the source code in Arduino, so I will be interested in seeing if I can understand the source code well enough to find a way to work on this.  I think for me, it would be sufficient to be able to enable the received audio to be heard while in keyer mode.  But the preferred thing would be to still use iCW/Ext Trx mode with an option to make the keyer speed independent of the decoder speed.

Possibly I am missing an existing feature where I can do one or the other of these two options with the existing V 1.4 firmware?

As a long time user of iCW, it is great to see a product like the M-32 available that provides a simple audio interface to a sound card.  I hope it will inspire newcomers to CW to start using one of the iCW servers to meet for conversation which I think is a good way to gradually increase copy speed in the head.  Willi has done an excellent job of developing the M-32.

Chuck, W5UXH

Willi, OE1WKL

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your message!
I will have a look into that issue - it definitely should be possible to have individual speeds for sending and receiving (the LoRa transceiver does that too, but of course this is a separate function, implemented in a different way). Currently the CW decoder sets the keyed speed (which in the manual is described - unsure if its a bug or a feature. But you are right, this could be made an option.

Vy 73

Willi
OE1WKL

Am 18.10.2019 um 02:30 schrieb Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH <Chuck.Broadwell@...>:

[...]

I had to search the manual after reading your reply, and found the description in the manual.  Your statement “unsure if its a bug or feature” made me laugh :)   I guess I vote for it being a bug without the option to change the behavior :)

Thanks for the quick reply, and pointing out that this is clearly described in the manual, excellent job.

73,

Chuck, W5UXH

On Oct 18, 2019, at 9:31 AM, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

I will have a look into that issue - it definitely should be possible to have individual speeds for sending and receiving (the LoRa transceiver does that too, but of course this is a separate function, implemented in a different way). Currently the CW decoder sets the keyed speed (which in the manual is described - unsure if its a bug or a feature. But you are right, this could be made an option.

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

I did a quick hack in the V2.0 release to prevent the decoder detected speed from being displayed.  This is good enough for me at this point.  I had previously done this in V1.4 and then tried to make more changes to display the decoder detected speed without modifying p_wpm, and having the keyer speed display when I started sending.  Not surprisingly I did not quite succeed and doubt I will play with it anymore.

                              if (lowDuration > (lacktime * ditAvg)) {
                                displayMorse();                                             /// decode the morse character and display it
                                wpm = (p_wpm + (int) (7200 / (dahAvg + 3*ditAvg))) / 2;     //// recalculate speed in wpm
                                if (p_wpm != wpm) {

                                  //p_wpm = wpm;          // W5UXH 19 Oct 2019 temporary hack

                                  //speedChanged = true;  // prevents decoder from changing keyer speed

                                }
                                decoderState = INTERCHAR_;