Topics

Firmware update failure - SOLVED

Steve

My attempts to update from 1.3 to 2.1 were not getting very far.

I just could not get the Morserino to connect reliably to my wireless LAN.
It would appear momentarily without an IP address. Only once did I get as far as beginning to upload the .bin file but it stalled at 46%

In desperation I tried downgrading my wireless security to WEP
and success!
Not only success: the upload went through in less than a minute.

Was this just a complete coincidence?

Steve
G4SDM

Eike Lantzsch

On Saturday, 4 January 2020 21:27:22 -03 Steve wrote:
My attempts to update from 1.3 to 2.1 were not getting very far.

I just could not get the Morserino to connect reliably to my wireless LAN.
It would appear momentarily without an IP address. Only once did I get as
far as beginning to upload the .bin file but it stalled at 46%

In desperation I tried downgrading my wireless security to WEP
and success!
Not only success: the upload went through in less than a minute.

Was this just a complete coincidence?

Steve
G4SDM
Hi om Steve!
Not a coincidence but something is very wrong with your WLAN.
The DHCP-server resides on your router/access point?
DHCP works with WEP but not with WPA2-PSK.
To me that looks like very buggy router-firmware.
The Synology-router is, to put it in a positive way, very feature rich.
It might be that downgrading your WLAN security to WEP also shut down several
features like intrusion prevention and the "threat detection engine" (beware,
can be a buzz-word).
You might jiggle the switches of those features and try WPA2-PSK without them
but I'd understand that you might not want to spend more time on this issue
now that you were able to update the morserino firmware - until next time.

As far as I understand Synology, the router firmware is still under development
and you might want to try a firmware-update of your router before throwing it
into the bin.
TCPdump and / or Wireshark might help you to find out what's going wrong but
from experience I can say that buggy router-firmware can result in very weird
network behaviour which is almost impossible to retrace and comprehend. I had
routers and access points on which advertized features failed in very weird
ways that led me to the conclusion that the developers were not able to handle
the features which management wanted to advertise to heave their product above
the competition.
Hint: 4 Antennas close to a bunch of cables, result: a comb of maxima and
minima in 3D with smeared digital signals. It is impossible to control the
coverage. The advertisement shows the router directing the field into the
direction of the clients. Can any SHF technician tell how that is supposed to
work? Without measuring the field strength at the client location? Maybe by AI
and a cristal ball?

Enjoy your morserino!
vy 73
Eike

Steve

Hello Elke and thank you for your response to my post.

There are a number of points in your opening sentences which I find unclear. I quote:
“The DHCP-server resides on your router/access point?”
yes it does.
DHCP works with WEP but not with WPA2-PSK.
DHCP works fine with WPA2. All my wireless devices connect OK using DHCP and WPA2.

Only the Morserino does not work or to be precise it only worked once when WPA2 was active and then the firmware upload only progressed to 46% before stalling.
Only when I TEMPORARILY downgraded the WiFi protection protocol to WEP did the Expressif device in the Morserino get an IP address from the DHCP server. This allowed the firmware update to “whoosh” for want of a better description, up to the Morserino - It took about a minute, including the restart.
Once complete my wireless network was returned to its WPA2 state.
Incidentally I would love to be using WPA3 but as I have a number of old devices using OS’s that do not support the WPA3 protocol I am stuck with WPA2.
(I note that the Synology router software does offer a WPA3/WPA2 option which I am going to investigate further.)

I have no intention of binning my router. It works well and I would recommend it to anyone who wants something better that the dross that some ISP’s send out to their customers.
Incidentally. I would not normally stick the wireless device i.e. the Morserino so damn close to the router. I was doing it to illustrate the point, at least from my experience, as to how “deaf” it’s WiFi unit is. Although, in the light of my experience I am beginning to wonder if this connection issue might not have more to do with security protocols than “deafness”.

I am enjoying my morserino.

Best 73’s

Steve

Eike Lantzsch

On Sunday, 5 January 2020 15:26:18 -03 Steve wrote:
Hello Elke and thank you for your response to my post.
Hi Steve!

There are a number of points in your opening sentences which I find unclear.
I quote: “The DHCP-server resides on your router/access point?”
yes it does.
Yes, I was assuming this, but of course you might have had another DHCP server
on your WLAN. So this was a question if my assumption was correct. I should
have been more clear.
Having another DHCP server on the WLAN and switching off the one on the router
might help with the issue or not. Try and error ... Maybe the effort is not
worth it. I have the DHCP server on my router disabled and have set up DHCPd
on another machine. That way I can better control what is going on on my
network.

“ DHCP works with WEP but not with WPA2-PSK. ”
DHCP works fine with WPA2. All my wireless devices connect OK using DHCP and
WPA2.
Yes, so I gathered that the morserino is the only device that does not connect
with WPA2-PSK activated.

Only the Morserino does not work or to be precise it only worked once when
WPA2 was active and then the firmware upload only progressed to 46% before
stalling. Only when I TEMPORARILY downgraded the WiFi protection protocol
to WEP did the Expressif device in the Morserino get an IP address from the
DHCP server. This allowed the firmware update to “whoosh” for want of a
better description, up to the Morserino - It took about a minute, including
the restart. Once complete my wireless network was returned to its WPA2
state.
Yes I also deducted this from your post.

Incidentally I would love to be using WPA3 but as I have a number of old
devices using OS’s that do not support the WPA3 protocol I am stuck with
WPA2. (I note that the Synology router software does offer a WPA3/WPA2
option which I am going to investigate further.)
See: WiFi is an incredibly complex issue and with faster protocols and more
features it will become ever more complex. Don't expect every device to be
compatible with every mode your router supports or offers.

I have no intention of binning my router. It works well and I would
:-) well, why should you?

Yes it works well with many a device but not with the morserino.
But this is no reason to conclude that the morserino is at fault. As I wrote:
The Synology router is "feature rich". The morserino's WiFi is simply (pun
intended) not able to be compatible with all those features in your router.
Also not all the features of your router are tested and debugged with all and
every device that exists or will exist in the future. That is impossible even
if the manufacturer would be willing.
If you decide for the future to switch back to WEP just to upgrade future
firmwares of the morserino: All is well if you can live with this.

Because everything is working so well in your WLAN except for the morserino
the natural conclusion was that the morserino is at fault. But that is not the
case.
So we should not ask for the morserino to become compatible with Synology
routers - very probably that will never happen.
One could ask Synology to make their router compatible with the morserino.
Will that happen? With so very little marketshare? I doubt it.

recommend it to anyone who wants something better that the dross that some
ISP’s send out to their customers. Incidentally. I would not normally stick
the wireless device i.e. the Morserino so damn close to the router. I was
doing it to illustrate the point, at least from my experience, as to how
“deaf” it’s WiFi unit is. Although, in the light of my experience I am
beginning to wonder if this connection issue might not have more to do with
security protocols than “deafness”.
I think that there you are spot-on.
My morserino for the most time is in the same room and about 5m (meters not
miles) away from my router and I never had to bother with moving it closer or
farther away to upload files or firmware. But my router is several years old and
simple.
It's definitely not the signal strength.

As I suggested (provided you want to investigate more) one by one switch off
the security features while keeping WPA2-PSK on; you might eventually find the
"culprit". But what does it help?
It helped the morserino community to know: "Synology routers are incompatible
with the morserino in WPA2-PSK mode".
You added to the knowledge of the community and it now knows: "Degrade
security on Synology routers temporarily to WEP and the firmware upload goes
right through with flying colours."
I guess we all thank you for this.
Similar issues might surface with other modern fast and feature rich routers.
Now we can all avoid the blame game. Good!

Who wants to go further?
It might even be that the security features are tied together with WPA2-PSK
and then they can't be switched off individually. Who knows. Might be a huge
loss of time and effort to go on trying.
There is a very knowledgeable developer Stefan Sperling on the OpenBSD-misc
mailing list who is working on WiFi drivers for several hardware products and
he knows better how far to go and when to stop his efforts.

I am enjoying my morserino.
Yep, there you go - lets shake hands.
Best 73’s

Steve
vy 73
Eike
--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
^ that's an "i" like in "issue" which I don't take with this ;-)