Topics

Feature request (and Arduino development help)

Enzo Stefanazzi

Hello,

I received my Morserino32 few days ago, assembled in less than a hour a made it working without any issues.
Now I am wondering if in next fw releases can be added a "Transmitted character echo" feature. It should send over a serial port, or a TCP/WEB socket, characters sent using a paddle in "cw keyer" mode or using a straight key in "cw decode" mode.
The idea is to use it with a computer program that can generate random characters, read the data from Morserino and display errors, max and average speed.
I was trying to implement it using the provided github source code and Arduino IDE, but I am struggling with the SSD1306.h missing file error and with the mess of additional libraries. I read all the posts about the Arduino IDE problems, added the additional Heltec board definitions and related libraries as described in the Heltec web site. In addition I added the libs provided  in the download group area and selected the "WiFi Lora 32(V2)" board in the IDE (I am not sure about the board type - please confirm it is right), but it is not enough.
Maybe there are differences in developing the code on Windows vs MacOSx that make things so difficult.

Anyway it is a great device!
Any help will be appreciated

73' Enzo
iw7dmh

Craig T. Bailey

Once you have the heltec libraries, you’ll still need two more: “Button” and another one.

It turns out the MAC OS ide for Arduino is the one i prefer.

The board type is as you describe.

There is one line that still needs to be commented out in order for it to compile on mine, has to do with older hardware versions of the board needing a special pin.  It’s pretty quick to identify which one to comment out.

Once the libraries are installed, it really is quite a nice environment.

--
_____
Craig Bailey

Enzo Stefanazzi

Hi Craig,

thank you very much for your answer. In the end I made it work, but I found something odd in the Arduino IDE (1.8.10) or in the Heltec definition Board package (0.0.4).
For a reason I can't understand the ClickButton lib is regularly loaded when installed in the usual directory C:\Users\enzo\Documents\Arduino\libraries. The other two missing libs, LoRa and OLED can't be found if installed in the same directory.
I had to move them in the IDE lib directory, C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries, to make everything working fine.
The statement I commented out is on line #133 const int Vext = 21;

Also, in the manual I read about an additional serial port that can be installed on the PCB: please suggest a proper connector that can be used (a Mouser part id should be fine as well) and confirm that it can be referenced in the software as the Serial2 port.

73' Enzo, iw7dmh

Enzo Stefanazzi

Edited

Hello,

I gave a look at the code and found the statement that can print all characters on the Serial port (it is inside the printToScroll function - row 3854 ).
For what I need it is enough for a host application development but it would be nice you could add a menu option that can enables the feature whichever one want.
I hope you'll agree.
Anyway thank you very much for this great project.

Best regards

Enzo, iw7dmh

P.S.: I modified he statement in
        Serial.printf("%s", text.c_str());

Willi, OE1WKL

Thanks, Enzo, I will include this option in the next firmware version…

[Edited Message Follows]