Topics

external straight key

dk7de@...

Hello YL/OM,

today I finallized my morserino and it works fine :-)

When I go to CW Decoder I can use my external straight key to morse characters and read them on the display - This works good.
When I Choose echo trainer and set "Ext. Paddle" in the settings menue I get only dits when I hold down the straight key. There is no continuous tone to get dits and dahs.
Is it possible to use a straight key in this mode? What settings do I have to do? In the settings on point "Paddle" I can Choose "Touch Paddle" or "Ext. Paddle", but no straight Key.

I hope someone can help.
73
Jörg

Willi, OE1WKL

Hi Jörg,

The Echo Trainer mode works with paddles (touch or external) only!

Vy 73

Willi
OE1WKL

Am 10.01.2019 um 14:48 schrieb dk7de@...:

Hello YL/OM,

today I finallized my morserino and it works fine :-)

When I go to CW Decoder I can use my external straight key to morse characters and read them on the display - This works good.
When I Choose echo trainer and set "Ext. Paddle" in the settings menue I get only dits when I hold down the straight key. There is no continuous tone to get dits and dahs.
Is it possible to use a straight key in this mode? What settings do I have to do? In the settings on point "Paddle" I can Choose "Touch Paddle" or "Ext. Paddle", but no straight Key.

I hope someone can help.
73
Jörg

Chris Morrison

Hi Jörg,

I'm posting here because I am new to the blog site and I don't see how to start a new question, sorry!
I have the same problem as you - I would like to use a straight key but only have the 2 paddle choices you mention. According to the instructions, it should be possible to use a straight key but whenever I connect it, the iambic Keyer is activated and I just get a series of beeps. Even in the CW decoder menu it doesn't work. Maybe Willi has a suggestion for how to actually connect a straight key??

73
Chris HB9 HFB

Wolf, OE7FTJ

Chris,

the port to connect your straight key is the same as for your external paddels - it's the 3,5mm socket on the frontside.
But change the top level menue to 'CW Decoder' and it works.

Wolf, oe7ftj

Wolf Hoeller

--
I prefere encrypted communication. My PGP public key is available at:

Am Mo., 11. Feb. 2019 um 20:42 Uhr schrieb Chris Morrison <chrismorrison@...>:

Hi Jörg,

I'm posting here because I am new to the blog site and I don't see how to start a new question, sorry!
I have the same problem as you - I would like to use a straight key but only have the 2 paddle choices you mention. According to the instructions, it should be possible to use a straight key but whenever I connect it, the iambic Keyer is activated and I just get a series of beeps. Even in the CW decoder menu it doesn't work. Maybe Willi has a suggestion for how to actually connect a straight key??

73
Chris HB9 HFB

Chris Morrison

Thanks a lot Wolf,

I did all this but the straight key somehow activates the iambic keyer circuit producing a continuous series of beeps. Of course, with the straight key, I have only 2 connections, tip and ground.

I have a second unrelated question about the LoRa unit, with which I’m totally unfamiliar (!!) What frequency in the 433 MHz region does it send on and where can I ‘hear’ if anybody else is around. Sorry if this is a very naive question.

Best regards,
Chris
HB9 HFB

Willi, OE1WKL

Hi!

A straight key can only be used in CW Decoder Mode right now!

Re LoRa: It is set to 434.15 MHz, and uses a bandwidth of 250 kHz. Transmissions are very short bursts (always sent at the end of a word) spreading across the bandwidth, so hard to detect with a normal receiver.
When I find the time I will publish the protocol that I use for encoding morse code on the GitHub site.

OE1WKL

Am 11.02.2019 um 21:02 schrieb Chris Morrison <chrismorrison@...>:

Thanks a lot Wolf,

I did all this but the straight key somehow activates the iambic keyer circuit producing a continuous series of beeps. Of course, with the straight key, I have only 2 connections, tip and ground.

I have a second unrelated question about the LoRa unit, with which I’m totally unfamiliar (!!) What frequency in the 433 MHz region does it send on and where can I ‘hear’ if anybody else is around. Sorry if this is a very naive question.

Best regards,
Chris
HB9 HFB

Chris Morrison

Hallo Willi,

Thanks for the info on the straight key, it’s now working well!
Have enjoyed getting started with the echo trainer for several hours but now my LiPo battery seems to be dead!
I connected the USB charging cable to the Morserino and to a regular 5v Phone Charger - a red LED lights up but not sure when the charging is completed, does this LED go out or change to white?
Also not quite sure of role of red button in turning device on and off. Should I set the ’sleep’ option as a default or always use the slider switch?

Sorry for all these dumb beginner’s questions

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Have sent out cq on LoRa but not sure what to expect here. Should I see a reply on my Morserino if there is somebody nearby? I listened on 434.15 MHz on my Yaesu FT 897, sure enough I can here a brief noise there when I stop keying!! Look forward to your promised instructions on this when you publish them, keine Eile!!

On 13 Feb 2019, at 10:40, Willi, OE1WKL <@oe1wkl> wrote:

[...]

to charge you put it on an USB charge, and switch the device on, so that the orange light glows very brightly. After several hors the battery should be charged, and the orange LED will stop.
When the device is in deep sleep mode (either because of a time-out, or you set it into deep sleep mode through the menu), a short press of the red button brings it back to life. AS the device also consumes energy in sleep mode, you should only use the sleep mode for short intervals, i.e. when you wish to continue your session after a lunch break, or later during the day. If you intend not to use the Morserino for more than a day, it is much better to switch it off, to avoid draining the battery.
Re. CQ with LoRa: This would assume you have other Morserinos somewhere in the vicinity, so the likelihood of getting an answer is very low... and it would have to be a Morserino, and not just another amateur radio station, because the protocol is unique for the Morserino-32 (it does not transmit in A1A mode, but sends data packets in spread spectrum modulation; other LoRa devices can receive those packets, but unless they know how to convert such a packet into Morse code, it will look like garbage data for them. AS I said, when I find the time, I will publish the protocol specifications, so it would be possible for programmers to decode the packets received by 70cm LoRa device...