Topics

Empty Battery sign displaying on startup

daveyeaman@...

Hi, I've just built my Morserino all went well, but on startup with the battery or with a USB power connection I get a quick display of the version etc then get an empty battery sign. I've gone over the solders and all looks good, I've tested the solders on the heltec module and all are good. Any suggestions as to what is wrong or how to diagnose?

Regards,

Dave

Craig T. Bailey

I would start by disconnecting the battery, and checking it’s voltage with a multi meter.

--
_____
Craig Bailey

daveyeaman@...

It makes no difference if the battery is connected or not, the display is the same. The instructions say the morserino should work from a USB 5V supply alone.

Dave
MM7YEA
Aberdeen
Scotland.

Steve G1YBB

Hi Dave,

I've only powered mine from USB so far, not fitted a battery. So yes, 100% will run on just USB, I use my phone charger. I don't think I have seen an empty battery symbol.

Steve

Phil B

That’s right, I too run from USB without problems. The battery indicator shows as full when the Morserino is powered in this fashion.

Perhaps a little obvious, but have you checked for solder bridges?

73 de Phil

On 30 Dec 2019, at 10:11, Steve G1YBB via Groups.Io <tenchy@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

I've only powered mine from USB so far, not fitted a battery. So yes, 100% will run on just USB, I use my phone charger. I don't think I have seen an empty battery symbol.

Steve

Willi, OE1WKL

What does the start-up screen look like? What is the voltage displayed, and what does the voltage bar look like? This info please for a) just using USB, b) just using battery, and c) while charging the battery.

Thanks,

Willi
OE1WKL

Am 29.12.2019 um 18:10 schrieb daveyeaman via Groups.Io <daveyeaman@...>:

Hi, I've just built my Morserino all went well, but on startup with the battery or with a USB power connection I get a quick display of the version etc then get an empty battery sign. I've gone over the solders and all looks good, I've tested the solders on the heltec module and all are good. Any suggestions as to what is wrong or how to diagnose?

Regards,

Dave

daveyeaman@...

Hi Willi, the display is the same when using USB or battery, momentarily I see the power on version displayed then immediately I see the empty battery sign which displays for two to three seconds.

And to answer Phil's point there appear to be no solder bridges.

Dave
MM7YEA

Willi, OE1WKL

Dave,
The only other explanation I can think of is that the voltage regulator on the Heltec module gave up.
I will send you a new Heltec module when the next batch of kits goes out (in about a week). Please return the old one to me once you have the new one.