Topics

Battery charging

Timothy Jewell

Willi
Great job with the kit, it was easy to put together and worked immediately.

However I am having a problem with the battery charging. I am using a 1000mAh 3.7V battery which appears to register as empty when it gets to approximately 3.55V . When running it shows 70 to 80 mA discharge and when asleep about 15mA. Plugging is a 5V 2.1A adapter when in the off position will light the orange light. Switching over to the on position the light goes out and there is no discharge from the battery. When it goes to sleep there is no current to or from the battery. If I plug the adapter in when asleep the 15mA drops to zero. It does same on the two identical batteries that I have. They both charge normally using an external charger. What is really confusing is that the voltage at the battery goes from 3.5v or so to 4V but there is no current to the battery and the light is not on.

Bit of a pain but just a minor inconvenience as I can charge externally and I do have two batteries.

73 de Tim EI9KH

Timothy Jewell

Willi
Update: I left the unit on to discharge the battery and at about 3.1V the microprocessor gives up. . I plugged in the adapter and it started charging (orange light was on). Charging current was about 70mA. After an hour the voltage had climbed to 3.44V but the charging current had decreased to a few milliamps. At 3.54V charging current was a fraction of a milliamp although I don't think my ammeter is all that accurate. Over the next few 4 hours it climbed to 3.67V. On waking the unit the battery symbol was all but empty. So basically it will only start charging if the battery is very low and stops charging at just over 3.5V. No load charging voltage is 3.74V (battery disconnected). So charging does work but is all but unusable.

Best regards
Tim

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 1:32 PM Timothy Jewell <trjewell1@...> wrote:
[...]

Willi, OE1WKL

Try to keep it connected to USB for at least 10 hours…. This would be the first time that it cannot charge a battery as far as my experience goes. What kind of LiPo battery are you using? Are you sure your battery is just a single LiPo cell without any electronics like charging regulator in it? A battery with built-in charging electronics probably cannot be charged through the Heltec module, as it requires much higher voltage levels than the Heltec module would provide.

OE1WKL

Howard W6HDG

Edited

I have had to charge externally for best results. Wake up screen will then show 50% battery and I get a lot of operating time. Perhaps this is due to the charging protection in the battery?

I'm glad I listened to Gary W4EEI and purchased these batteries
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756WN9JS
They come with a nice USB charger with accurate charging light. Plus, I have a spare battery for the future.

Timothy Jewell

Willi
I am not sure at all if these batteries have an internal charger or not. I will try and get hold of the exact model you have recommended. I can not find it in Ireland unless I buy 6 at the same time for about the price of the morserino. It may take me a while to get one but I will report back when I do. Thanks for the advice.
Regards
Tim

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 3:47 PM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
Try to keep it connected to USB for at least 10 hours…. This would be the first time that it cannot charge a battery as far as my experience goes. What kind of LiPo battery are you using? Are you sure your battery is just a single LiPo cell without any electronics like charging regulator in it? A battery with built-in charging electronics probably cannot be charged through the Heltec module, as it requires much higher voltage levels than the Heltec module would provide.

OE1WKL

DD1TOM

Dear Willi,

I charged my Morserino via USB over night, in the morning it were 4,09V at 0,01mA loading current. Nevertheless battery is shown as nearly empty :-O

73
Tommes
DD1TOM

Willi, OE1WKL

Very strange behavior. I am not sure what’s going in there, and how (or if) I can do anything via Software to improve the situation. Charging itself cannot be influenced by software, but measuring the voltage is a software feature, but apparently a very unreliable one. I will do further experiments (documentation is hardly available), and if I find something useful, will incorporate it into the next firmware release…